Webbs Mill flooded by beaver again?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Nice work Guy. I've been visiting 1-2 times a week and have seen signs of others clearing as well. They usually re-block the pipe within 3 days or so at the most and it takes at least a full day to back the water up to the bog. Persistent little varmints they are. I've taken to getting in front of the pipe mouth while in waders and reaching deep into it with a narrow cultivating rake. Sometimes branches are wedged in much farther than you can reach by hand. I usually haul away the accumulated piles every few visits. While it seems pointless, last week during one visit I saw Calopogon, Pogonia, and Bog Asphodel flowering and new growth on the curly grass fern near the turn in the boardwalk. If breaks in the flooding are created most plants seem to be clinging on.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went there again today and it was fully clogged. It took less than 24 hours. I pulled out as much crap as yesterday. It lines the road as I did not take it away. They really need to solve that problem.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So we go there again today and someone has been cleaning it out and had removed all the crap I left there, maybe even earlier in the morning. I was there semi early but I did see a car parked along 539 who may have been checking the boardwalk and also may have cleaned the pipe out. The water level was down lower than I have seen it this past few weeks.

The pipe still had some blockage so I removed even more which improved the flow. The important part of this video is to watch Jessica. As I have mentioned before she hates anyone bothering the beavers and will not even stand around when I am doing it. But the funny thing is she asked me to go there. That just does not add up :D

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Drove by the pond today around 5:30-6:00. It was nice to see Jones road graded, There was two large/deep puddles right after the pipe.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We visited today and the pipe is clear and the water is fairly low. However, the beavers appear to have decided to stop blocking the pipe and are now back to blocking the water before there. It is still flowing but soon they will have it stopped. I was able to clear out a small section today and it is flowing well there, but they may be working on that quickly.

DSC_0676a.jpg

After I worked on it a little.

DSC_0680a.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx