Webb's Mill Stones

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Back in 2006 Bob was exploring along the Webb's Mill Branch and found this stone that had been hit by a FFS vehicle while cutting firebreaks.

bob.jpg

The stone was broken into pieces but the base was still in the ground at the exact location. Fast forward to less than two weeks ago when I acquired a survey of that area that was pretty specific where the stones were located. I plotted all of the locations using my iPad and discovered that the stone Bob found was not for some reason along that survey line. I was perplexed by this because it was obvious to me that Bob had found a stone for the Webbs Mill Cedar Swamp.

So last weekend Jessica and I spent about 4 hours traveling along the Webbs Mill Branch looking for the corners of that property. We came up empty, and I found that to be pretty much unbelievable. So I went home and decided to use Bob's stone as a starting point, and calculated all of the corners using the survey I acquired. If Bob's stone was a part of that survey, I should find another stone. This morning we again visited the area and in 5 minutes we had found another stone. This proves to me that the information on the starting point in the survey is completely inaccurate. And even more troubling is that I have found another survey that is wrong. And even more troubling is that I noticed the Lacey Township tax maps used that information to display that tract of land. Now it is not a big deal since it is only off by a few hundred feet, but it shows how mistakes such as this can be concerning.

Anyway, here is the stone I found today. It is the one covered in moss. There were pieces of it apparently broken off buried under the vegetation which I have brought to the surface. This stone most likely dates back to the early years of this tract of land. Maybe Henry Webb?????

IMG_1426.jpg

I will continue to look.

Guy

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very cool Guy. I'm glad you are setting things straight. Is that just a moss-covered stump next to the stone in the second photo?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The item covered in moss is the stone. The pointy thing to the right of it is wood.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We found trash along a dirt road in the woods and found a speeding ticket.

IMAG0078a.jpg

IMAG0078b.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
To further prove there is an error, I went to one of the survey locations and backtracked about 100 feet to the location I felt was the proper corner. One thing I always do when looking for stones is look at the trees. This particular corner meets up with the Greenwood Forest property and they sometimes have been there. As I stood there looking around I noticed this which clearly had multiple slash marks in each blaze.

Most likely 25 or more years ago. Unfortunately, no stone.

IMG_1430a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So we took a quick trip out to Webb's Mill today to look for three stones less than 30 feet off of a road. One was even on the upland so I felt certain that would not be there. Well, I was wrong. And even though it looks small, I am pretty certain it is a big stone underground. Unfortunately, we were one for three today :(

IMG_1435a.jpg

And we even took a photo to send to my mom as my brother traveled with us today. You can see the road on the left behind his arm. Jessica texted it to my mom and she receives them as an email on her iPad.

IMG_0463a.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin and John

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We found trash along a dirt road in the woods and found a speeding ticket.

That's just the surcharge Tee, the actual tickets were additional. The 4 pointer from Barnegat is 15-29 mph over the limit. All those displayed total about $485 in addition to the surcharges. :rolleyes: I wonder what her current total is.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
On those tree slash marks. The hunters among us can elaborate. I constantly run across slash marks. Usually they are enhanced with blue paint although I have seen old markings with white and/or yellow. Now it appears blue is the accepted color for deer drive lines. 3 slash marks indicate the start/end of the drive line. Trees in between have 1 slash and paint. I also know from reading your posts that the surveyors used to also slash the trees as reference points. Could it be possible this tree is marked by hunters a long time ago being this is in or on the edge of Greenwood? In any event you have good eyes to spot those old over grown marks.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It did not take good eyes, it was right where I was standing looking for a stone. The first thing I do is look at the trees wherever I go. If you ever come to a location where you believe there is a property corner, take a look around and you may be surprised.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
On the newer square concrete markers, do the surveyors still blaze trees? I never looked but now you have me wondering.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On those tree slash marks. The hunters among us can elaborate. I constantly run across slash marks. Usually they are enhanced with blue paint although I have seen old markings with white and/or yellow. Now it appears blue is the accepted color for deer drive lines. 3 slash marks indicate the start/end of the drive line. Trees in between have 1 slash and paint. I also know from reading your posts that the surveyors used to also slash the trees as reference points. Could it be possible this tree is marked by hunters a long time ago being this is in or on the edge of Greenwood? In any event you have good eyes to spot those old over grown marks.

We spent a damp morning exploring along the Chamberlain (not Webb's Mill) looking for a few remote stones that we could not find years ago. One was quite remote. Anyway, after going zero for two we traveled up a road far up the Chamberlain above Bull's Gut almost to the sand plant along Lacey Road. It was here that we found our first stone of the day that we missed many years ago. Here is another example why you should always look at the trees near you when stone searching or looking for property corners.

This stone is mentioned in an 1859 survey and is pre 1859.

IMG_1440a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So we go through a deep puddle today with loose sand on both sides and really struggled at first to get through it. Then the AWD seemed to kick in and we breezed through it. But there was a strange sound coming from the back after that. Sounded like cats mating. Anyway, we had to go though it on the way back and had the same experience getting though. The sound kept up all the way home.

We just now had time to climb under the car and it took us 15 minutes to decide where the sound was coming from. It appears the brakes pads are low and the wear indicator is rubbing. How going through that puddle caused that I don't know. Jessica climbed under the car and pushed on it as I rocked the car and the sound goes away and comes back as she pushes and lets go, so I know the pads are not into the rotor. The inside of the rotor is hard to see.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Check to make sure the backing plates on the inboard side of the rotors are not bent and contacting the rotor. I don't see how going through sand could suddenly wear your brake pads, but it could certainly move the backing plate the millimeter or two necessary to make it rub.

Or, it could be a coincidence and the brake linings are simply low.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They look low. I just got the car in the late fall and was planning on replacing the pads. But this will push me to do them sooner. I may have to get under the car and find a way to stop it from rubbing so I can make it to next weekend to replace them. If it was just a matter of pulling it outward it would be easy, but it has to be held in to stop the sound for some reason.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
You can use a screwdriver or wire cutter to move the wear indicator tab away from the rotor and silence the noise. When they start making noise you normally have about 2mm of pad lining remaining, though it's common for the inner and outer pads to have differing thicknesses. If you are replacing the pads I highly suggest either replacing or machining the rotors, as well as cleaning and lubricating the caliper slide pins with silicone grease. I personally always use the OEM brake parts, but I'm pretty fussy about noises. If you want to use aftermarket to save a few bucks go with the Wagner PerfectStop line of products, they are the best, short of the factory stuff.

Source: I'm an ASE master auto mechanic.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My brother-in-law is a Master Mechanic at Accura and told my daughter when she had her CRV to always buy Honda brake parts from Honda. I plan on doing the same. I do almost all of my own brakes and car repairs and have been since 1975 when I purchased my first car. I have never owned a car with a wear indicator so that is new to me.