Welcome to the new Boyd's Maps Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icesailr

Sep 27, 2020
Manasquan, NJ
this shows my ignorance of and inattention to your site. I'm sorry to waste your time, but very glad for your reply. I did not pay attention to the headings of each map section and the fact that Your Own maps are all only under your heading (of course, as they should be). When I saw the heading in the GAIA map of "USGS" and then saw similar listings when I opened the section below yours, I thought those were the USGS to look for. My apologies. I didn't think to click on your 1999 in the pines map to find what I was looking for.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Really, no need to apologize, that was a perfectly reasonable question. And, over time, other people will read this and say "I didn't know that!" :)

BTW, you can use the favorites feature to create your own custom map menu and even change the names if you like.

online.boydsmaps.com/favorite-maps-menu/

Last edited:
Reactions: icesailr

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think Thats the normal course of things that a 100K topo would have less detail then a 24 K topo since the 100 K covers four times as much area as a 24 K topo does,100 K is 100,000 inches on ground to one on the map while 24,000K is 24,000 inches on ground to one on map.@$ K has much more detail but covers much less area.

Reactions: Boyd and icesailr

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Awesome maps! Too bad I can't get to use them to explore those wondrous woods anymore as I now live far away. I used to use big paper USGS maps that I coated with waterproofing (and didn't fold up very well anymore after the coating) , that and my compass.

• Love
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
a 100K topo would have less detail then a 24 K topo since the 100 K covers four times as much area as a 24 K topo does

Was just looking at this again and you have described the difference very well, but this part is wrong. It's a common misconception, so I created the example below. The 100k topo actually covers sixteen times as much area as the 24k! Look at the grid squares on the 24k map, they are the same size in pixels as the whole 100k map. BTW, that's a 1-kilometer grid which is very cool - didn't know the USGS was using the metric system on these maps :cool:

100k-vs-24k.png

"Area" is a squared function, so (using round numbers) 96,000 divided by 24,000 is 4. But it's 4x as wide and 4x as high, so 4 x 4 = 16. When dealing with digital imagery, that also means a 24k map will require 16x as much disk space as a 100k map of the same area (although data compression might improve this a bit).

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Sorry, I don't understand your question. What "old maps" are you talking about?

There is no way to load tracks at either boydsmaps online or boydsmaps mobile if that's what you're asking. However, in the future I will be adding the capability to import tracks into the mobile app, but it will be awhile before I get around to that, at least a month or two. You could download my maps from boydsmaps.com and use them with a number of other apps that would allow you to import your tracks. But, as posted elsewhere, I am discontinuing all these maps soon and will no longer support them, so you will need to figure that out yourself.

UPDATE - DECEMBER 2021: Downloadable maps are no longer available at boydsmaps.com.

Last edited:

icesailr

Sep 27, 2020
Manasquan, NJ
Thank you. That answers my question.
I did just mean "Your" various old maps when using your program.
I'll look into downloading one of your maps per your suggestion,
in case I can import into the tracker I use. Gaia GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.