We're taking more pictures than ever ... so why are cameras dying off?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
But professional grade gear will never die. Big glass and big sensors will always have advantages.

You needn't go that far, any DSLR, and many point n shoots, blow the doors off camera phones. For the vacation type shooter the phone is just fine, and that is where most sales are. But if there is any seriousness to your picture taking, you will see the difference, both in features and results.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You needn't go that far, any DSLR, and many point n shoots, blow the doors off camera phones. For the vacation type shooter the phone is just fine, and that is where most sales are. But if there is any seriousness to your picture taking, you will see the difference, both in features and results.

I agree.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The brains behind Flickr revamped their format because they also think point and shoots are dead. They also think that professional photographers don't exist anymore. :rolleyes:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Apparently they aren't the only ones.... ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/01/b...off-all-its-full-time-photographers.html?_r=0

Chicago Sun-Times Lays Off All Its Full-Time Photographers
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 31, 2013

CHICAGO — The Chicago Sun-Times laid off its entire full-time photography staff Thursday, including a Pulitzer Prize winner, in a move that the newspaper’s management said resulted from a need to shift toward more online video.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...s-photographers-to-replace-them-with-iphones/

Over the weekend the other part of the strategy leaked out:

The Chicago Sun-Times is training its journalists in iPhone camera work to replace its staff photographers, who were all laid off last week.

The training commences on Friday and will include “iPhone photography basics”, as well as capturing and editing video on iOS, and uploading it to the appropriate social sites, according to a staff memo leaked by Sun-Times stalwart Robert Feder

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The iPhone camera is surprisingly capable. But when there's serious work to be done I'll always turn to my DSLR. The great thing about a camera phone - a good camera phone - is that it's always with you. No need to carry a phone and a point and shoot.

I'll probably not be renewing my Flickr Pro account when its up for renewal either. Depends on how slow they make the uploads and how awful the ads are. I actually like the new Flickr interface.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The iPhone camera is surprisingly capable. But when there's serious work to be done I'll always turn to my DSLR. The great thing about a camera phone - a good camera phone - is that it's always with you. No need to carry a phone and a point and shoot.

I'll probably not be renewing my Flickr Pro account when its up for renewal either. Depends on how slow they make the uploads and how awful the ads are. I actually like the new Flickr interface.

After reading some reviews of the phone camera's I have to change my comment about them being for 'vacation type shooters'. I would not consider one for use as a vacation tool, their capabilities are much too limited; fixed wide angle lens, no zoom and limited image stabilization to mention a few. But they make good sense as a snapshot tool if you already are carrying a phone around. Personally I do not carry a phone, so my Panasonic P&S works perfectly for me. Your use may vary :)

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/92...axys4-vs-htcone-vs-iphone5-vs-lumia920?page=4

From the above review;

Conclusion

Looking at the samples on the previous pages and above it is clear that not even these high-end smartphones can keep up with decent dedicated compact cameras. Nevertheless there is no doubt that mobile devices are getting better at capturing images with every generation and the phones in this comparison are arguably among the best you can currently get for this purpose.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'd be willing to bet that I've sunk more money into professional photo gear than most people on this site - especially video. But I just don't use it very often anymore. Obviously the iPhone camera doesn't come anywhere near that level of quality - you shouldn't need to read a review to figure that out. The lens is about the size of a large tick. ;)

But you know what? It's "good enough" for almost everything I want to e-mail or post on a website. And the convenience factor makes up for the shortcomings. Since you don't see the value in having a smartphone 46er, I don't think you can fully appreciate this. Everyone should use whatever works best for them of course, and it's actually refreshing to see somebody who has resisted the trend to buy a smartphone. I can only think of one other person that I know who doesn't have one. :)

And here's something that may rub people the wrong way. I wonder if too many pictures being posted here? I understand the desire to capture memories and share experiences. But I sometimes wonder if anyone ever just goes out and experiences the pines? I used to take tons of pictures myself (with my expensive cameras). Today.... not so much.

Maybe it's my own background in art? If I'm taking pictures I'm thinking like a photographer. That can be fun sometimes, but it just isn't the same thing as relaxing and enjoying the woods.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Obviously the iPhone camera doesn't come anywhere near that level of quality - you shouldn't need to read a review to figure that out. The lens is about the size of a large tick. ;)

But you know what? It's "good enough" for almost everything I want to e-mail or post on a website. And the convenience factor makes up for the shortcomings. Since you don't see the value in having a smartphone 46er, I don't think you can fully appreciate this. Everyone should use whatever works best for them of course, and it's actually refreshing to see somebody who has resisted the trend to buy a smartphone. I can only think of one other person that I know who doesn't have one. :)

And here's something that may rub people the wrong way. I wonder if too many pictures being posted here? I understand the desire to capture memories and share experiences. But I sometimes wonder if anyone ever just goes out and experiences the pines? I used to take tons of pictures myself (with my expensive cameras). Today.... not so much.

Maybe it's my own background in art? If I'm taking pictures I'm thinking like a photographer. That can be fun sometimes, but it just isn't the same thing as relaxing and enjoying the woods.

Since I had little knowledge of these 'smart' phones, I thought it best to at least read something about them if I was going to comment on them. A large tick, eh? Where did they get the monicker of 'smart' phone. Do they actually possess some intelligence?

As you can probably tell, the value to me is in not having one. I don't quite understand the need to be constantly 'connected'. And as far as cost goes, those little devices certainly aren't dollar store items. Personnaly I find it a bit annoying to be out and about; be it the pines, a trout stream or some mountain and hear a phone ring and then the inevitable conversation. Puts a damper on the experience and sure doesn't contribute to relaxation or enjoyment for me. My little P&S doesn't make any noise or distrub anyone, even the shutter release is muted, and it isn't used unless I want to use it :) My DSLR's are a whole other animal :eek:

As the old sage once said; different strokes for different folks ;)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Problem is, many (most?) people are not aware of a special smartphone feature. The "off-button". And if you can't stand the thought of turning it off, there's another little-known feature called the "mute-button". Nobody has ever heard my phone ring in the pines. :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Problem is, many (most?) people are not aware of a special smartphone feature. The "off-button". And if you can't stand the thought of turning it off, there's another little-known feature called the "mute-button". Nobody has ever heard my phone ring in the pines. :D

It's actually refreshing to see somebody who has knowledge of how to use the features of a smartphone. I can think of no other person that I know who has. :)

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I'd be willing to bet that I've sunk more money into professional photo gear than most people on this site - especially video. But I just don't use it very often anymore. Obviously the iPhone camera doesn't come anywhere near that level of quality - you shouldn't need to read a review to figure that out. The lens is about the size of a large tick. ;)

I couldn't agree more. For me, this statement holds true for most of life. I want to see and live life, not spend the time documenting it. Sure, it's nice to have photos for pass along and review years down the road, but I too wonder how much is "lost" by the picture-taker.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Was just thinking of this thread. Am doing a show with a friend tomorrow in New York. She has an iPhone 4s but asked if she could borrow better camera for snapshots afterwards. My DSLR is bulky and complicated, and I only have prime lenses - not a very good choice. So I dug out my old Canon Digital Elph. Always liked that little camera - has a nice solid feel and the pictures were very good (have posted many of them here in years past).

canon_powershot_SD600.jpg

Just playing around with it, there are certainly some advantages to a dedicated camera with real buttons instead of a touchscreen. Now I haven't touched this camera in at least two or three years and had to hunt for the spare battery and charger. Just for the heck of it, I pressed the power button before pulling the old battery from the camera. It sprang right to life and indicated a full battery charge. I'm impressed - I wonder if an iPhone could do that? ;)

OTOH, if it were me, I would just settle for using the iPhone after the show.... :D