West Plains Waltz

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tomorrow is another sunny, fairly moderate day; very rare for this late in the year. I plan to take a walkabout with Buddy to the West Plains. I will be visiting 4 peaks I hereby name "Tipper", "Tapper", "Topper", and "Top". Am I looking for a nose bleed? No, just quiet beauty in a land unchanged since the first growth of scrub pines after the last bit of salt water receded from the land we call South Jersey.

I don't know how close the pines are in this area, or whether or not Hunters be out. Don't matter to me. I am going to do this in the "sweet spot" of the day, perhaps 11:00 to 3:30 or so. I imagine 3 miles or so, give or take a yard-arm.

If anyone wants to join, so be it. If not, bobpbx does it alone again, and loves it just as much as with company. If you are fair looking and female, all the better.....Har-Har Matey!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can't make it.

That is some tough going in that area. Those scrub pines grab you and hold you back. Enjoy!

BTW, keep your eyes out for survey lines. There were some recent goings on when Jessica and I were there, and at the intersections there were stones.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am very flexible and you are a lot further away. You pick anytime you want at or after 11:00 am.......bob

PS; don't forget your chaps on this one steve.......

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Was it brutal? Yes it was. Was it fun? Yes it was. Was it a good day? Yes.

Guy, you were right and it was as I kind of expected too. The West plains are very difficult to navigate in because they have both thicker and slightly higher growth. We only made one of the hills by bushwacking. I swear it took us 15 minutes to go 1000 feet. A particularly hidden and dense area was the Papoose Branch of the Oswego. It was duck and push nearly the whole way. I really enjoyed the day though, and had fun with Steve. We were out there, about 5 hours I think.

Our tracks:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Tracks.JPG

The big man himself at the Haines property line:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Big_Man_(Medium).JPG

A typical view if you climbed a tree:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/View_(Medium).jpg

Steve crawling on his knees. We had to do this several times. And this is on the top of a hill!

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Crawl_(Medium).JPG

Steve by Nature Conservancy property line:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/normal_signs_(Medium).jpg

And the view from the Lake:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/normal_Lake_(Medium).jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report. That lake is great huh? too bad they took down the cabin. Great area. It is tough going but that keeps the tourists out:)

Jeff

It was a good day and yes, it was a bit brutal. But we left foot prints where probably no one has before. No one in their right mind anyway. LOL

Bob and Buddy at the Papoose Branch.

normal_BobBuddy.jpg

Bob climbing an odd pine tree. A Short Leaf maybe.

normal_BobTree1.jpg

One climb is not enough.

normal_BobTree2.jpg

I'm not a climber. I put my camera on my hiking stick and held it high to get this shot.

normal_Pole1.jpg

Steve

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Inspired by Bob and Steve's excursion and wanting to investigate some areas I have been meaning to look into, I got into the west plains very early this morning
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_001.jpg

normal_Westplains_12-03-06_004.jpg

I wanted to get into some very deep areas far from even the most unused trails. As you can see it was REAL thick
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_008.jpg

I headed for an "island" of normal sized pitch pine within the stunted growth. I anticipated water and I was correct but it was just damp. Here was a very secluded tree stand and much to my surprise to have found it that far in.
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_009.jpg

the view from the stand was beautiful as it faced almost due East. Unfortunitly the still rising sun made the pic a bit washed out.
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_012.jpg

The stunted trees in the area meant hunters were using dug outs instead of tree stands.
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_022.jpg

A peek inside
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_023.jpg

I scared up and animal near the stand that was gone before I could get a good look but based off of the size and speed I would say it was probably a fox.

From there I side tracked over toward the area
Bob and Steve were in.
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_019.jpg

normal_Westplains_12-03-06_018.jpg

Ouch!!!
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_021.jpg

I left that area and went real deep into an area that showed no evidence of any humans at all. Not a dug out or hunters trail anywhere to be found. Very, very thick and tough going. Untouched. It was there that I found this terrific thing.
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_025.jpg

Pretty cool huh? An eight pointer!!
normal_Westplains_12-03-06_027.jpg

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very cool Jeff. That skull is a very rare find. Were you just West of the Plains Branch when you were in the savannah? I was in there with Mike before. Lot of hunting goes on in there, there are many clubs in the area. Or, were you West of the Red Road? That one road shot looks like you were in a tree shooting down the road toward the lake where the cabin was.

I was just telling Steve that I ought to always post where I think I'll be, as I do go in alone alot (like you), and if we go missing a day or two, the site will have a record.

PS: remember, 6 day firearm starts this morning through Saturday. Stay out of the woods.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Cool Jeff. I've found skulls and I've found antlers but never a skull with antlers.
That will make a nice mobile for over the crib. :D

Steve

:rofl:
Yeah it is a rare find! I found some scattered vertabre and hip bones not too far, I am the surprised the head was not torn apart.

Jeff