West Plains Waltz

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very cool Jeff. That skull is a very rare find. Were you just West of the Plains Branch when you were in the savannah? I was in there with Mike before. Lot of hunting goes on in there, there are many clubs in the area. Or, were you West of the Red Road? That one road shot looks like you were in a tree shooting down the road toward the lake where the cabin was.

I was just telling Steve that I ought to always post where I think I'll be, as I do go in alone alot (like you), and if we go missing a day or two, the site will have a record.

PS: remember, 6 day firearm starts this morning through Saturday. Stay out of the woods.

The main trek took place east of the Red Road along, and north, of the plains branch. Yes, alot of hunting activity in there. That shot that looks like the lake...it is funny I thought that maybe you would think it was of the lake, it looks like that. It is actually at the head waters of the papoose branch. There are two tributarys to the papoose and I think this was taken at the one you and Steve did not visit. It is very shallow, though lake like.

As for the area where I found the skull and antlers, I will tell you where that was in person so as not to draw attention to such a passed over area. Thanks for the heads up on the 6 day firearm.

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I noticed the nature conservancy signs, is that east plains preserve in barnegat township. Have any of you guys been to that spot? Are there decent trails? Thanks

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I noticed the nature conservancy signs, is that east plains preserve in barnegat township. Have any of you guys been to that spot? Are there decent trails? Thanks

If you mean the Nature Conservancy spot, yes. It is by the lake where the cabin was. By trails, do you mean hiking? Yes, any of those sand roads are great for hiking. Not much traffic at all. Steve and I sat down in the middle of one at 185 feet and had lunch in the sun.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The main trek took place east of the Red Road along, and north, of the plains branch. Jeff

The little branch of the plains branch that crosses the Red Road; I hiked a trail just north of there that led to the East, then Dead ended. I found a deer stand hidden in the woods that had a similar view. 4 weeks ago.

Lovely.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The little branch of the plains branch that crosses the Red Road; I hiked a trail just north of there that led to the East, then Dead ended. I found a deer stand hidden in the woods that had a similar view. 4 weeks ago.

Lovely.

I know the trail you are refering to. There used to be a small hunting club/cabin at that dead end. It was demolished a few years ago. The first time I found it, it freaked me out...I thought I came upon a piney house in the middle of nowhere and was going to get a shotgun reception.:rofl:

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
There are trails leading from the former cabin site out into the swamp which are very cool. Some of the densest peat moss that I've seen in a beautiful forest of cedars:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=395

Great photos!!! That is some serious sphagnhum moss. I like the way the light plays on it. You have a great eye for photography!! I heard some coyotes back in there one time when my wife and I were hanging out on that dock behind the cabin.

Jeff