Wet Forest - Formerly Known as Dry Forest

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The rain really cut off along a straight line just North of Mays Landing. The NWS has completely changed the website for hydrologic data, it's kind of confusing but I suppose the old one was nothing to write home about either. :D

Screen Shot 2024-06-24 at 4.17.52 PM.png

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Not sure how much rain we got in Lacey. But this morning when I went to put out the garbage . I could barely move the cans. When I spilled them over I was surprised by how much water came out. Today we had a hard blowing west wind all day. I was working on a boat and the wind was moving the tools on the deck all around.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nothing here. My car was all dusty from drive through Peaslee yesterday, didn't bother to hose it down because I figured the storm would rinse it off. Stilll just as dusty this morning, literally not a drop of rain overnight. Was just in Mays Landing and they didn't have any rain there either, guess the line was somewhere around the AC Expressway? It's funny, the NWS got the rain forecast backwards - we were supposed to get the most rain in the South with less in the Northern Pines.

Spent awhile in the woods yesterday afternoon and evening. In spite of the heat, there was a nice breeze that never really let up and the humidity was only about 50% in the afternoon. Later, clouds started blocking the sun and it cooled down even more, but the overnight low was only 78. Wind never got very strong here.

Looks like the next chance for rain is Wed night, we could use some here. :)
Yes, very hit of miss. I was in the woods yesterday near Toms River. The wind kicked up nice and strong. I'd normally be worried about fire, but the vegetation this year is growing extremely fast and is very lush. I was near a stream, and the sheep laurel was as tall as me. I've never seen that before. At times I had to get down and crawl under the vegetation.

D

Deleted member 7363

Yesterday afternoon, everything seemed super wet from Carranza Rd to down near (39.728261, -74.614815) Hawkins Lowland RD, on the Tuckerton RD. Not horrible, as I did hike it, but there were 3 large puddles, and I finally got to one that prevented me from proceeding any further, the 2 prior puddles had just enough room to get around. This area mostly got over 1 inch of rain, but not all that much more.

I hiked Tuckerton RD from Carranza Memorial all the way to Washington Ruin and back in October of 2005. I remembered most everything from just after, or even around High Crossing to be ridge, with rolling terrain on either side. Boy, was I wrong. Funny how memory does that. Huge puddles all around the High Crossing, lowland borrow pits for road fill in that area, and aside from 1 small section, it was a dense impenetrable pitch pine lowland. My experience in May walking from near the same spot as my turn around and SE to the road that headed to Mount was also not representative of most of the road, as that was primarily a nice ridge of shortleaf and oak.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Interesting change to the forecast, for Wharton they're estimating a 70% chance of between 3/4 to 1 inch of rain (only 1/2 to 3/4 inch farther South where I am). But forecast now only mentions 5 to 10 mph winds with no gusts and there's no severe thunderstorm warning (yet). Of course, that could change as it gets closer. Have been checking the radar on and off this afternoon, there's quite a storm system working its way towards us!

Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 5.17.24 PM.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting change to the forecast, for Wharton they're estimating a 70% chance of between 3/4 to 1 inch of rain (only 1/2 to 3/4 inch farther South where I am). But forecast now only mentions 5 to 10 mph winds with no gusts and there's no severe thunderstorm warning (yet). Of course, that could change as it gets closer. Have been checking the radar on and off this afternoon, there's quite a storm system working its way towards us!

View attachment 22947
So, in your opinion, should I put the recycling can out or not? I'm wrestling with the decision; drinking heavy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Woke up at 12:15 and it was raining. Next thing I know it is now. So I can't tell you anything else. :D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Judging from the very small amount of water in my wheelbarrow (usually a pretty accurate gauge) I had about 1/10 inch here. Couldn't have been much of a storm, I slept through it all and never heard a thing. Not enough to fill any puddles but it did wet the ground and bring down the dust for a day, so I'll take it. :)

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
So, in your opinion, should I put the recycling can out or not? I'm wrestling with the decision; drinking heavy.
Well, the suspense is killing me. Did you put out your recycling? Judging by the amount of branches and leaves on the ground it must hav been pretty windy around me. I’m heading north today and haven seen as much debris as I’ve been driving.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well, the suspense is killing me. Did you put out your recycling? Judging by the amount of branches and leaves on the ground it must hav been pretty windy around me. I’m heading north today and haven seen as much debris as I’ve been driving.
I actually don't drink heavy, just kidding. I did put the can out because I saw nothing on the horizon and some weather person said the winds won't be very strong in most places after all.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
They changed their site and the old advanced precipitation analysis page is no longer there. Kinda sucks, since I developed my own procedure for extracting data from the old version, and now it's gone. :( I couldn't get the new site to work either yesterday, but found this rainfall monitor here with a google search.

D

Deleted member 7363

They changed their site and the old advanced precipitation analysis page is no longer there. Kinda sucks, since I developed my own procedure for extracting data from the old version, and now it's gone. :( I couldn't get the new site to work either yesterday, but found this rainfall monitor here with a google search.
Glad it wasn't just me who couldn't get it to work yesterday.

Once I got used to working the new site I actually don't mind it. I can filter more days of rainfall, say 3 days vs 7. I liked the older site better, but this one is at least usable.