Wharton State Forest 1966 Visitor Map nearly identical to 2024 draft Visitor Map

Old Halfway

May 5, 2019
Old Halfway
I may have missed it, since I was banned from the PPA backed FB group for asking....but what exactly is the plan for "closing" these existing roads? Plastic barriers? Cutting down 80' pines across them? Holes and mounds of dirt piled at the entry? Large gates?

Furthermore do you have an example of a successful closure that has not resulted in the offending parties making their own go around? Causing further damage and rendering your closure a waste of time, effort and money?

I ask because I see more failed attempts than successful ones at closing roads. Especially ones that have been in use for as long as these.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Like half the citations are from Crowleys landing! I better check my trailer lights :)

There is little to no support for point 1, and it will have NO impact on illegal orv use or escape. On a positive note there’s probably a lot of support for 2-5
Go to page 3 on that list starting about half way down to the one below the $74 fine. The next 16 infractions are on the same date, same officer and same minute. They are repeats.
Then on page 6 starting at the third one down, the next 10 infractions are again the same date, same officer and the same minute. Repeats again. And it occurs again soon after. Repeats. Very odd!

Last edited:
Reactions: Piney4life

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Go to page 3 on that list starting about half way down to the one below the $74 fine. The next 16 infractions are on the same date, same officer and same minute. They are repeats.
Then on page 6 starting at the third one down, the next 10 infractions are again the same date, same officer and the same minute. Repeats again. And it occurs again soon after. Repeats. Very odd!
You have a better eye than me! I noticed a lot of the same date but didn’t think much of it. Would be nice in a spreadsheet so you could sort it many different ways.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
In my opinion, enforceable routes should be the number 1 criteria for establishing any designated motor vehicle pathways in any park. If they can't be patrolled, they shouldn't be available for motorized usage. Otherwise you have essentially defacto lawless areas which has led to the damage we have seen to some of the most amazing natural features of the pines.
Why wouldn’t you be pushing for the roads to be repaired so they could be patrolled properly? Isn’t your initiative “Fix Our Parks” meant to do just that? If the Atsion mansion fell into disrepair would you be pushing for its demolition?

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
Why wouldn’t you be pushing for the roads to be repaired so they could be patrolled properly? Isn’t your initiative “Fix Our Parks” meant to do just that? If the Atsion mansion fell into disrepair would you be pushing for its demolition?
I am part of the effort to increase funding for the parks and WMAs, however getting money out of Trenton essentially for rural areas is not easy. Budgets were cut in 2007 and never restored fully, but It is slightly better now than it was during the Christie administration. If the atsion mansion was causing damage to natural resources, then we would have that conversation, but it isn't. Unmanaged paths used by motor vehicles are causing tremendous damage to the most important places in the pines in terms of wildlife and scenery, and thats what we are dealing with on this topic. Some people don't get that times change, but they change anyway. Our area population has grown 20 fold in some areas compared to what was in the 1950s, not to mention the invention of vehicles that are intended for the destruction of wildlife habitat, park management needs to adapt to that new reality.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I understand that the state is not using our money properly to support the parks and I am in agreement with you on that subject. However, I don't want you to have anything to say about how I have been spending my time for the last 50 years. It is simple as that. I don't tell you how to enjoy yourself and you have no right to tell me anything. I can't speak for others but it is clear to me that the vast majority agree with me.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
I am part of the effort to increase funding for the parks and WMAs, however getting money out of Trenton essentially for rural areas is not easy. Budgets were cut in 2007 and never restored fully, but It is slightly better now than it was during the Christie administration. If the atsion mansion was causing damage to natural resources, then we would have that conversation, but it isn't. Unmanaged paths used by motor vehicles are causing tremendous damage to the most important places in the pines in terms of wildlife and scenery, and thats what we are dealing with on this topic. Some people don't get that times change, but they change anyway. Our area population has grown 20 fold in some areas compared to what was in the 1950s, not to mention the invention of vehicles that are intended for the destruction of wildlife habitat, park management needs to adapt to that new reality.
And yet you say nothing about the "keep it green nj"group that tricked the voters in nj to giving them all nj parks maintenance budget in 2014.

Reactions: Teegate and bobpbx

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
To be clear we are not talking about “unmanaged paths” as you call them. They are roads. Don’t be afraid to call them that here. Would you be for or against increased funding if it came with the stipulation that little or no roads would be closed?