Wharton

Status
Not open for further replies.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Thanks to another member and his website I confirmed the Wharton cleanup date. I will not soapbox the issue in itself. It has appeared on countless threads and it is obvious that everyone here cares. I will soapbox the event though. I only ask this.
Please come out. Last year I was only out half a day and loved it. In the past I participated in Waterford cleanup days and they are let's just say not that enthusiastic. This however is awe inspiring. I called an organizer of the event, nice fellow Mike. We spoke quite awhile. He is ultra passionate about this event and with a personal schedule a mile long he still devotes a great deal of time to this. He has a tough time raising sponsors and correlating the state support. While monetery donations are important, even the giveaways at the Pic are a help. Just going for the goodies at the Pic are not the right reason though! I can't thank REDNEKF350 enough for the turn on to this. It is way cool!
Team leaders are needed for structure so people do not just run amuck. I myself am a bit of a loaner but I did take instruction from Scott on a given area. Also, you may see the wildest 4X4 stuff present but according to Mike what we need is trucks,trucks,trucks! You can only fit so much in a Jeep. If you have a Pickup or know someone with one that is not afraid to bring it out please do so. I myself just have an S10 but I pile it up. Bodies are good too, plenty of hands, young and old alike!
No matter where anyone on this site is from, at least in Jersey anyway, If you have ever enjoyed what Wharton has to offer, please come out. Please come out.
Sign up at the Atsion ranger station 9:45 A.M. I believe on Sunday October 22. I'll be the one there with a beat up little old truck already loaded.

G.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Largo,

I am curious. Does Picallily provide any support at all?

Bob,
It's not really my gig so I don't know. I can guess that hosting the event is a lot of work for them to accomodate it for the good folk that participate. I also understand that it costs hundreds of $$$ and Mike puts forth a lot of effort in getting sponsors for it. The festivities of the Pic are nice but they are not the focus.
Please if you have any questions please call him. He is very approachable and inspirational. 215-837-1002 & email miket69@verizon.net

G.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
This is the guy from the JD 4WD club right? He has an account here, I wish he'd post more.

I may not have a Jeep anymore by then, but maybe I'll come out and ride along with someone.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
This is the guy from the JD 4WD club right? He has an account here, I wish he'd post more.

I may not have a Jeep anymore by then, but maybe I'll come out and ride along with someone.

It is not King if that's who you are thinking of but he does post on that site occasional I believe. He did not seem familiar with this site when I mentioned it.

I am sure your help would be very welcome.

Sep 11, 2006
Bayville, NJ
I can answer all your questions about the clean up. If not I can get in touch with Mike who is "In Charge" of the clean up.

From Mike:

5TH ANNUAL PINE BARRENS CLEANUP!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come and take part in the largest one-day volunteer event at Wharton State Forest. On Oct 22nd 2006 at 9:45 AM the 5th annual PINE BARRENS 4 WHEEL DRIVE CLEANUP will begin with a sign up at the Atsion Ranger station and conclude at the at the Pic-a-lilly restaurant where wings will be served and prizes awarded.

Last year 200 men, women and children collected three 30 cubic yard dumpsters full of trash as well as a whole car and dozens of tires while making new friends and enjoying the wonders of the pines. While doing this they worked up a voracious appetite that was satiated by hundreds of wings donated by clubs, businesses and individuals. Before leaving there was a drawing where gift certificates and generous parts and clothing donations by 4 wheels drive manufacturers and retailers were awarded. Everyone had a great time and said they couldn’t wait till next year.

We are now soliciting past participants, 4 wheel drive clubs and local and national business’ to contribute time and resources to make this year’s event another overwhelming success.

This as a great opportunity to showcase a partnership for keeping our state lands clean and our right to transverse them unhindered. The rangers and staff at Wharton have embraced us and lend their time and support to help us have a safe and fun time. Last year the volunteer coordinator at Wharton even added a vintage CJ to their family after seeing the fun and camaraderie we had.

Please be a part of this worthwhile event. Contact founder Michael Tarsia to see how your family, organization or business can contribute to this worthy cause.

Thank you in advance for your dedication to a beautiful, clean and accessible state forest system.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THIS ON YOUR LOCAL CLUB BBS’ TO GET THE WORD OUT!

MIKE TARSIA

MIKET69@VERIZON.NET

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This will be my 5th year and I hope everyone can make it.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
NASCAR - I am aware of no hiking but last year was my only involvement so I would not be the authority. Seems like the fellow above has about as much info as you would need. The basic contact info seems to be the same I gave. All I can say is... Please come out.

G.

Sep 11, 2006
Bayville, NJ
NASCAR - I am aware of no hiking but last year was my only involvement so I would not be the authority. Seems like the fellow above has about as much info as you would need. The basic contact info seems to be the same I gave. All I can say is... Please come out.

G.

Over the years we have broken up into about a dozen or so groups In our trucks and hit the trails. Those with trailers/pickups were seperated to maximize our clean up effort. Most of the trash is located either on or near the road so most of it is stop and go clean up in our trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.