What did you do this weekend in the pines?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Traveled to the Eureka Gun club area today for a short time, and then headed back across 539 to Bullock and into Lebanon Forest for lunch. My brother and daughter went along and we ate at the gaging station on the McDonalds Branch. While there I noticed that there is a USGS benchmark there, which is not the usual one you see. The location of these are not available online, you must stumble on them. The red arrow in the picture below shows the location.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/c/benchmarklocation.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/c/benchmark.jpg

Here is what is inside the building.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/c/inside.jpg

Behind the building in a cedar tree is a plastic nest placed there to attract some sort of bird.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/c/nest1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/c/nest.jpg

Yours truly in the back with my brother near.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/c/lunch.jpg

Lets see if we can get the postings going, so what did you do in the pines this weekend?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the high resolution photo. I believe it is branches. ???

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/IMG_2125.JPG

I will write you later about the first part of my trip. I am going to watch the news and get a shower and I will write.

Also, what do you have for the GPS coordinates of the other gaging station that you George and I were at? For some reason I do not have them. I tried to find it today and gave up because we had to leave.

Guy

Well lets see, My friend KenDawg and I left this morning at 10:00 and just got back about an hour ago. Covered a lot of territory. Started out by going to Paisley near Apple Pie Hill. From there we went and finally found the pond 1/8th mile off Rt72 just across from Rt532. If you look REAL hard you can find the path to it off Rt72. Then we went down Sooy road toward Lake Oswego. Took a detour to Spring Hill again but this time via a different route. No Scratches! We then went to Harrisville Ruins then off to Martha, the Cranberry station and to Nash's Cabin. Then we tried Calico but I didn't want to go through the puddles. From there we went to Washington, Mount and Jemima Mount. We came come via Quaker Bridge Rd and then onto Stoke's Rd. We stopped so KenDawg could find a Geocache off of Stoke's. Took Stoke's all the way to Tuckerton Rd and home. I took over 90 pix but have not looked at them yet. I'll post some tomorrow if I got any good ones.

B

bach2yoga

We hiked about 10 miles of the Batona Trail in the Bass River Forest area, found some geodetic marker I think, (which I did take the GPS coordinates for, Guy! 8) ) and found a nice expanse of Pyxie in bloom.
And I'm FINALLY starting to figure out this GPS. I didn't have the topo with me Saturday (long story), and was able to figure out where the pyxie was using the coordinates, and Barry was able to go out on Sunday and find it using my directions. Hurray! ('Bout time!)
Been out a couple of times in the last week looking for various things--some swamp pink that I posted pics of in my album, and also rattlesnake plantain, and also found some laurel leaved greenbriar. I'll post the pyxie and the marker later in the week after I use up this roll of fill (no digital here!)
Renee

J

JeffD

Yesterday, Lisa, Dolly and I went to Double Trouble State Park. Dolly saw two dogs that were smaller than she is.

We walked a nature trail backwards. It wasn't until we finished that trail that I found a trail map, at the beginning of the trail. And it wasn't until we got back to the car that I found a park map. I don't think it showed the nature trail, mainly historic building.

We just parked and walked towards the historic buildings from the company town and just followed an unpaved road/trail that seemed like it would be interesting. At the beginning of the route we picked, we walked along a platform around some large logs that were set in the center. That must have been the lumber mill, or whatever.

Shortly after we started walking the trail, we saw numbered markers. The numbers went down as we hiked along. We came to a bridge over Cedar Creek, where the water opened up into sort of a small lake. The trail was mostly dry as we walked slighly higher than the nearby cedar swamp. When we came to junctions -- there were a few of them -- we followed the arrows (which had to be for a nature trail route) backwards. After turning left and following the dirt/sand road about 1/2 mile, the nature trail turned left into the woods, much narrower than the road we were on. We were enveloped by cedars, and the trail was a little wet here, even some small puddles in spots. We passed a sign for the carnivorous pitcher plant. I didn't notice any nor take the time to wait around to see some bug being eaten. It would be good if the park had more pitcher plants, as I had left the OFF (with DEET) in the car and had forgotten to spray (Lisa found one tick when we were in car after we left). A bridge crossed over the creek again.

At times, I could hear the sound of a loud motorcycle or truck. I later heard the constant sound of high-speed traffic. It must have been from the Garden State Parkway.

After a short while, the cranberry bogs, quite large, were on our right. We sat at one of the park benches and hung around the area for awhile.

We got up and soon the historic company town appeared ahead of us, which we again walked through to get to the car.

Double Trouble looks like a good place for canoeing. In fact, up the road from the main entrance where we parked, there is an entrance that leads to a canoe launch.

I had considered visiting Bullock that day, but I had not been to Double Trouble in awhile. Lisa said she thought it was a nice place. Dolly didn't say anthing about, but she's happy anywhere she can walk and sniff.

The last time I visited Bullock, I followed a trail I had started to follow the last time I was there to where it came to a T with an unpaved road. This was in the area I had found by serrindipity (sp?) when I was looking for Old Halfway/Hidden Lakes. I entered the Pasadena Wildlife Managment area off of Savoy Road, across from the roadroad crossing, took the sand road furtheres to the left, and started heading towards the lake. Only I turned right at the first interestion instead of turning right at the blue cooler. This headed back towards the Railroad tracks and another lake, close to the tracks. I drove along a sand road that bordered the lake, towards Savoy Road, and turned left to park by the lake at the first opening where the berm wasn't too high. There was a land bridge that crossed the lake, and once across, I turned right, walked for about 1/4 mile, and turned left where a narrow sand road, which was thick sugar sand near the junction, and followed it. The road gradually climbed up a hill. After following it more than a mile, I came to the T, where it met a wider sand road that ran in both directions. Shortly before I came to the T, I had to walk on one edge of the road to avoid walking through a large puddle.

Sometime after this trip, I looked at the area on the Woodmansie topo map. I found the land bridge across the lake, but the sand road that climbed the hill wasn't on it. I noticed on the topo map the end of a stream near the T in the road in the area where I was walking. I believe the bigger sand road was on the topo map but not the one I walked. I guess that that road then is off limits to motorized vehicles. :wink: :) The trail I followed from the land bridge to that road was on the topo map. I don't know how to put those red markers on maps or mark my route like you do, Guy. Otherwise, I would post a topo map showing that.

BTW, I found the one lake, where a car lies underwater, and an abandoned car sits atop a hill. You're right, Guy, you need a topo map and a GPU or something to find the second lake. I started looking for it a little, but was afraid I'd get lost. Some of the trails I followed were soggy, so my choices were limited. Only 1/2 mile away, but with all those roads and no landmark to reference, finding the second lake is tough! As you know, I'm not for roadless areas, but in parts of the Pine Barrens, we could use less of them! :jaw:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Also, what do you have for the GPS coordinates of the other gaging station that you George and I were at? For some reason I do not have them. I tried to find it today and gave up because we had to leave.

Guy,

Sorry for not getting this to you sooner. The GPS is in my truck and I haven't gone outside since Friday. You should have it in the track file I sent you for TopoUSA though. If not I will give it to you tomorrow, provided I am still alive... :(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:

Guy,

You should have it in the track file I sent you for TopoUSA though. (

I totally forgot about that. I will get it from there. Thanks for reminding me.

I hope you get well soon, we have a weekend ahead of us. 8)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
JeffD said:
I don't know how to put those red markers on maps or mark my route like you do, Guy. Otherwise, I would post a topo map showing that.

You can use Topozone.com to put the red target symbol next to any intersection. Then put the link in the post. Repeat it for each intersection and we all can follow along.

I am glad you made it there. Maybe the next time I am there I will come up with a way to mark the trail to the second lake for you. Then you can just follow my route. I will have to try to make it inconspicious.

Guy

J

JeffD

TeeGate said:
JeffD said:
I don't know how to put those red markers on maps or mark my route like you do, Guy. Otherwise, I would post a topo map showing that.

You can use Topozone.com to put the red target symbol next to any intersection. Then put the link in the post. Repeat it for each intersection and we all can follow along.

I am glad you made it there. Maybe the next time I am there I will come up with a way to mark the trail to the second lake for you. Then you can just follow my route. I will have to try to make it inconspicious.

Guy

Thanks, Guy. Perhaps I'll try to leave electronic breadcrums on a topozone.com map for you to follow to show you all the area I'm talking about when I have the time. I have the site on my favorites. And maybe with your help I'll find the seond lake. BTW, I couldn't print out that route you posted. It may be because we didn't put any colors in the computer. It printout out the text crystal clear, as I recently had put a new container of black toner in the printer.

J

JeffD

I briefly visited topzone.com, and could not find how to place the red arrows on a map. Do you have to click on CUSTOMIZE MAP and pay for it, or what? I don't have time right now, so maybe I'll try later.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
JeffD said:
I briefly visited topzone.com, and could not find how to place the red arrows on a map. Do you have to click on CUSTOMIZE MAP and pay for it, or what? I don't have time right now, so maybe I'll try later.

When you click on the map it puts the target symbol on it. If it doesn't, scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure there is a check mark next to "Show Target Symbol."

Guy

J

JeffD

I've seen the red target symbol. So then I guess I just click and move it and duplicate it or both and drop the bread crum where I want to. I'll have to try that. Thanks, Guy.

J

JeffD

I was able to just move the red marker to one spot; no electronic breadcrumbs to follow. Unlike the Woodmansie map I downloaded from this site, I could not zoom in on topozone.com enough to see the land bridge across the lake, or see other details, such as the stream that runs down the hill. Even on the largest setting on topozone.com I couldn't. So, I marked the spot in the general area where I started climbing the hill once I crossed the land bridge across the lake. I followed the road (which doesn't appear on the topozone or the map on this site) below the red marker. I followed the sand road until I came to a T where another, wider and somewhat graded road meets it.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4413890&e=546852