What happened to Mannis Duck Pond?

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Took a hike there today and it is very low. It doesn’t look like the water has bypassed the dam, in fact, I don’t see any water flowing downstream anywhere. Maybe beavers blocking it upstream? I seem to remember seeing a post on this somewhere, but couldn’t seem to find it. Any ideas?

View attachment DSCF5697.jpg

IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0037.jpeg

Dam and everywhere around it is bone dry.
IMG_3467.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, if you did not know, the pond is name for Manassas Dellett. He was a frequent visitor and everyone called it Mannis duck pond. He never owned it or had anything to do with it except going there. He also owned the Dellett Tavern at Oak Shade road and a grocery store and farm on Oak Shade Road. Manassas is buried in the Atsion Church cemetery but I looked for the grave stone and it is no longer there. And if anyone knows anything more about the Lower Forge Gun Club that built the dam, other than what has been discussed here before, let us know.

Reactions: ecampbell and Boyd

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
BTW, if you did not know, the pond is name for Manassas Dellett. He was a frequent visitor and everyone called it Mannis duck pond. He never owned it or had anything to do with it except going there. He also owned the Dellett Tavern at Oak Shade road and a grocery store and farm on Oak Shade Road. Manassas is buried in the Atsion Church cemetery but I looked for the grave stone and it is no longer there. And if anyone knows anything more about the Lower Forge Gun Club that built the dam, other than what has been discussed here before, let us know.
I did not know this! I think I had asked who Mannis was way back when and no one had an answer for me. I must have driven past this sign a million times and never realized the answer was right under my nose:

Thanks Guy! Just curious, how did you learn this? From a book or somewhere else?

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not know this! I think I had asked who Mannis was way back when and no one had an answer for me. I must have driven past this sign a million times and never realized the answer was right under my nose:

Thanks Guy! Just curious, how did you learn this? From a book or somewhere else?
The cemetery location I searched out on my own. Don Catts may have told me about Manassas but it was on a PBX hike that I actually spent some time listening and Ted Gordon mentioned it was named after him.

BTW, I learned yesterday that their may be some changes to some of the signs similar to the sign in your link above. Some have errors and should get fixed. I don't want to say more though.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I remember the gravestone Guy. My wife and I visited that cemetery in the late 1970's on motorcycles before we were married. I remember thinking the name Manassas was really cool. If I recall correctly, it was not a very old stone like one would expect. It seemed like it had been replaced. Hard to believe it is gone now.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
The cemetery location I searched out on my own. Don Catts may have told me about Manassas but it was on a PBX hike that I actually spent some time listening and Ted Gordon mentioned it was named after him.

BTW, I learned yesterday that their may be some changes to some of the signs similar to the sign in your link above. Some have errors and should get fixed. I don't want to say more though.

Many of the IMHS signs aren't in great condition and some have spelling errors, factual errors, and/or poor grammar. It's probably time for them to all be revised.