What is this?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
While out along Albertson's Branch tonight just before dark I came across a heavy, weathered cast iron hook lying in the edge of a dike road.
I am going to try and link the photo here:
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0
If that doesn't work, try my gallery.
It is about 6" long and weighs about 5 lbs.
One end is formed like the head of a mallet and the other is an open hook.
The area where I found it was active for cranberry production about 60 years ago.
I am thinking the rounded head was placed in a keyway with a slot.
Any one have any guesses?
Scott

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
As it is not really that far from the rails, don't rule out something relevent to trains. not my gig and I don't know from dating, but maybe NJVIKE or JERSEYMAN could tell.
Aside from that, I would guess part of a rig for pulling that worked with horse. Of course if old enough, any leather bindings would be gone or it simply could have broken off and been discarded during a pull.
A very cool piece for the mantle regardless.

G.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a good find. It looks like something that would be for a train like Largo said.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Steve
The hook shank is tapered and the hook opening is circular like it might have been a slip hook for chain.
The hook opening is not a grab hook for grabbing a link.
The mallet head is what has me baffled.
I am googling all kinds of hook items with no luck yet.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think I figured it out by accident. I picked up an industrial catologue I got as junk mail and it opened to the page with come-alongs and chain falls. The hook has to swivel, hence the radius mushroom head. The only thing different is that this one has an extra bend, perhaps for a different application?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
If it is as I first guessed a railway thingy, there is just the fellow right around the corner from us to solve your mystery. I shall PM you his info.
As far as Googling, strike that, try Ebay and search Farm Equipment - hooks.

G.