what kind of frog?

StarBaby88

Aug 7, 2009
hello everyone I come here often to look at pics and read your storys of the pine barrens. I lived in the pine barrens as a kid and just recently moved back. anyways I came home tonight around 11:30 pulled into my driveway and noticed this tiny frog on my garage door, it was a tiny little thing not much bigger then my thumb nail and it was brite orange?? I got a napkin scooped him up and put him on the ground. ........I used a napkin because my luck the cute little thing could have been poisonus and killed me in an instant LOL

so what kind of frog could it be ? Ive been looking online at pics and I cant seem to find him any ideas?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
[QUOTE}so what kind of frog could it be ? Ive been looking online at pics and I cant seem to find him any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I saw a strange colored frog last year about this time in our garage....did he look like this? A friend told me it was a cricket frog. Don't most frogs eat crickets? I'm not savvy with frogs.....but I like em!

turtle

Attachments

• 2008_0820(002).JPG
    2008_0820(002).JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 750

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
If its not the type Turtle shared, my guess would be its a baby toad. They hatch in numbers and I've seen them from black in color, to the type of orange you described. They're also about the size of a finger nail. Could also be a fugitive frog from someone's house.

Apr 30, 2009
My guess would be a wood frog. due to the mask (there are only a couple species that have that mask around the eyes)......it looks like a wood frog, they can tend to be a little orange due to stress. He could be really hot...they are a colder temp. species. My other guess would be a spring peeper....these are one of the smallest frog species we have in jersey, an adult would be no larger than an inch in size. They have a distinguishing "X" on their back. You could probably look that up on the internet. If it is bigger than an inch or so, I would have to keep my guess as a wood frog.

Hope this helps!!! This was a good find....Good luck!!
Take care

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It could be the same kind of toad that I photographed at the Parker Preserve. It pops up one in a while in the banners at the top of each page on this site.

Guy

Attachments

• IMG_5733.jpg
    IMG_5733.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 538

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
It's not a wood frog because they don't occur in the Barrens and my guess is it's not a toad due to the fact that it was found "on" the garage door. It's most likely a orangish spring peeper.

cousinmike

Jun 16, 2009
Wood Frog...

That is MOST definately a Wood Frog (Rana sylvatica) and a female, by the orangish coloration and the 'large' size, relatively.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
That is MOST definately a Wood Frog (Rana sylvatica) and a female, by the orangish coloration and the 'large' size, relatively.

Yeah, she's a woodie. They're listed as being within our geographical area, but I've yet to see or hear one in South Jersey.

Wood frogs sound a lot like southern leopard frogs (both species spend a lot of time telling one another jokes, then rolling in bogs laughing out loud), and the two can be easily confused. But I'm sure I'm only hearing leopards, onstage, doing the likes of -- so, this wood frog walks into a bar ...

You'd have to hear them to believe me.

http://allaboutfrogs.org/files/sounds/sleaprd.wav

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
You guys need to go back to the original post. That poster did not post a pic of the frog in question. The wood frog pic was posted by someone else. Wood frogs are found in N.J. but not in the Pine Barrens. They live in the northern part of the state on leafy forrest floors not pine needles and acidic water.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
the frog in the pic is a wood frog.i have found them in cedar swamps in the barrens so they do live in the barrens.Bill is right on,they do sound a lot like leopards.their known to lay eggs far from permanent water sources in the most ephemeral of mud puddles and stump puddles.Guy is also right.many toads are orange as a matter of fact i just got back from camping in lancaster county pa and the tent site was swarmed by very small baby toads that were definitely orange.i notice more orange toads in the hills then i do here in the barrens.may be an adaptation to different ground color,red clayey muds as opposed to dark brown acidic goo and white sand we have here.
Al

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I'm loving this thread. Interesting responses, all. Now we need someone(s) to post about their personal frog/toad encounters, which happened, preferably, while searching for stones and sipping from (discussion here) a most delectable can of brew. With photos, please. :)

Glo

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Sounds like a fowler's toad to me. Many have metamorphed at this time and will be found hopping around driveway as the will be attracted to garage lights, patio lights etc. for insects. They also love coming out to warm pavement at night as the pines cools down quickly and the heat from the pavement attracts them. As for the color, many young toads are quite orange or red.....couple reasons....many metamorph in atv created pools that are baseball dirt brown....or many metamorph in acidic cedar water, soil and water will stain them............

As for wood frogs they are generally absent from the core barrens but can be found in pockets on the outskirts in seemingly similar habitat. It would be unusual to see a wood frog display the behavior you mentioned this time of year.

Bill, you have woods not too far from were you live..............

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
Sounds like a fowler's toad to me. .

Chris you're surprising me here because StarBaby88 stated that the animal in question was found "on" the garage door and she put it on the ground. I guess it's possible for a toad to climb the door but not likely unless the door has a pretty rough surface.:argh:

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Hi,
just a little background on the pic from post #3......Our garage is situated about 30' from the woods......a good mix of many environments. No obvious creeks or streams running through, but plenty of seasonally wet areas with swamp included. The garage is old, but sound. Many critters make it their home here....the most surprising was a snapping turtle we found wandering through about 6 years ago! There is plenty of overgrown vegetation around the building...the only thing disturbed in my habitat are the 2-legged mammals.......I never knew what type of frog this was. He was just sitting on the milk crate when I closed up one day. Took his pic and added it to my files....
Thanks everyone.... I learn more each time you collaborate !

turtle

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i have seen peepers that appear orange though the black x on the back is a dead give away that it is a peeper.as far as wood frogs in the barrens i have found them in millville in a cedar swamp adjacent to almost totally fresh tidal water with hardcore barrens immediately at swamp edge.Now Millville is perpheral barrens but these woods were barrens nonetheless.
If the frog in question was stuck to a vertical surface it must be s treefrog no doubt.greys are definitely nopt orange,neither or pbtf's except for their butt and undersides of their legs so that leaves the peeper which can be orangeish and is most definitely tinier then the other two so by the description I'd agree with the peeper,don't know what that wood frog pic was doing in there.
when it comes to reptiles and amphibians I get the weirdest descriptions and then am questioned as to what it was.Dragon have you ever seen a purple snake?I have had numerous requests to identify purple snakes.I had a boss once that swore he ran over a 40 ft snake across a farm field road with his pick up truck.He felt the truck lift over the snake and then he got out and watched the snake crawl into the woods.I don't believe he was lying for an instant.he actually believed this.mistaken no doubt but not lying.I forgot to ask him if the snake was purple.
Al

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
If the frog in question was stuck to a vertical surface it must be s treefrog no doubt.greys are definitely nopt orange,neither or pbtf's except for their butt and undersides of their legs so that leaves the peeper which can be orangeish and is most definitely tinier then the other two so by the description I'd agree with the peeper, don't know what that wood frog pic was doing in there.

That's because, Alfie, there were two different ID inquiries. What made the matter confusing was that both frogs were orange and found in garages. The latter had the photo, which made identification easy (the wood frog); the other was described as orange, wee, stuck vertically, and potentially life threatening. :)

You never told me you heard a wood frog. Why haven't you taken me to it?

Whip