Wheatland Survey Stone

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Since the rain kept me home yesterday, I could not go the weekend without spending a little time today doing some searching. Our first stop was right off of Pasadena road about two miles north of Brooksbrae looking for a "large white stone". It was located on the Hanover property line not far from the Jersey Central. Recent Google aerial photo's show that a road has been made leading to it so I had doubts it would be there. Unfortunately, I was correct.

We then looked for an inscribed stone almost to the Old Halfway Pits and that was not there either, so we then searched for another one at a rye strip nearby and struck out with that one also.

The next one was deeper in the woods and my hopes were high we would find it, but the trail leading in that direction was ominous. This stone is described as being a "brown stone 2 1/2 high, beginnings of Thomas Foulks 50 (maybe 80) acres". It is part of the Wheatland Survey.

In no time at all Jessica found it while I was walking around in circles looking at my GPS. It is obvious that at one time this was a substantial stone.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1571-1/IMG_6701.JPG

The back of it

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/1576-1/IMG_6702.JPG

It was quiet in the woods today since it was slightly raining when we were doing this, and on the way out of the woods we ran into a "Corrections Officer" vehicle at an intersection near Union Clay Works. On a Sunday by himself in the woods??? Anyway, as soon as we passed by he started up and followed us at a considerable distance which caused us to skip some other things we wanted to do. Just a little concerned why he was there.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I found out today that it is a good bet that stone was placed there around 1769 which if my history is correct was before the Constitution. There still is history in the pines if you look hard enough!

Guy

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
I agree, nice find Guy. It's ashame about the others, though. Given enough time they will all be lost.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am not certain what the exact type of stone it is. Sandstone stones usually look pretty worn when I find them, and this one seems more solid.

Guy