Wheelin In The Rain

Oct 25, 2006
All

Me and my friend decided to do some wheelin yesterday, Saturday, during the storm, we went to various places, there are a lack of pics due to some heavy downpours, Apple Pie Hill, etc. but i did manage seven pics yesterday.

I first traveled on a sugar sand road that i never have been on before, and one that i definitely do not recommend for cars, i rode in 2 wd the entire length and it was no problem due to the ground clearance on my Jeep Liberty, can anyone by looking at the following pic take a guess to the location ?
IMG_0667.jpg

We then traveled to the Apple Pie Hill area and the rain started coming down in sheets, while waiting in the vehicle for the rain to slow down, after a 30 minute wait we exited the Jeep, searching the area all we found was a gray circular stone that looked like at one time held some sort of marker, there was a small hole in the middle of it, but nothing else.

We then traveled to the East slope of Apple Pie as i wanted to show my friend the ruins of Dr.Whites sanitarium, he has never been there, after a brief foray, we then rode to The Pine Crest Hunting Club, i also wanted to show him the site as he has also never viewed it before.

Taking the road to Speedwell, it was full of puddles and very spongy, we then took Rt.563 to Harrisville, taking the road to Martha, it was not that bad yet, we stopped at a favorite swimming hole along the Oswego, taking the following pic. This is looking upstream
IMG_0668.jpg

Then between the swimming hole and Martha Furnace and thanks to Guy, i found the following stone monument, there is an A inscribed on it.
IMG_0669.jpg

Getting back in the Jeep we then arrived at Martha's Furnace, and i took the following pic of this cellar hole directly across from the Furnace site, there are numerous cellar holes in the area.
IMG_0670.jpg

I then took this pic of the Furnace site.
IMG_0671.jpg

We then walked to the bridge over the Oswego, numerous deep puddles were on this road, notice the guardrail, the one on the other side of the bridge is in the same condition.
IMG_0672.jpg

I then took the following pic looking downstream.
IMG_0673.jpg

Walking back to the Jeep the rain started again, we got soaked upon arrival, the wind was howling, but we laughed it off, it felt great due to the high humidity. We then traveled to the Batona Trail, viewing the cellar holes along the way, we were then stopped dead in our tracks as a large tree was across the road, i wanted to go to the Cutts Bogs, the Adams site, and then give the big puddle a go. I will take Allens Road to Oswego Road on our next outing in the future.

We then returned to the Furnace area, and taking Old Martha Road, the road was level and wider than the last time i was on it, we went as far as Buck Run, turning around we then went to the Pump House, 45 minutes later we were still waiting out the downpour we decided to call it a day, i wanted to take a few pics but it was a no go.

Traveling back to Rt.679 the road was one big puddle, my friend asked me why i was smiling, then he realized i was enjoying tremendously the ride, i wanted to find some NJ markers in the area, but the rain would not let up, so we visited our friend in Tabernacle to finish out the day, we did not leave until 11:00 P.M.

All in all the ride was great, the day gloomy, i have to return once again to the area in the future to find those NJ markers, but what the hell, it was still a great day to be in the Pines.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
James,

You really had a good time it seems. Nothing better than that. The next time you are in the Buck Run area take a look around and see if you find this. I found it years ago and have never found it again.

buckrun.jpg

Guy

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
James,

That first picture looks like the area just north of Batona Camp, near a swamp and a little stream. I think I've crossed that little bridge doing the Carranza to Apple Pie hike.
Tom

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Nice report Jim. Careful about those outings during a hurricane watch though! Water can rise pretty fast in a storm, and trees can block the road so you can't get back out.

But yesterday wasn't so bad, Hannah was the "little hurricane that wasn't". :) I stayed home and spent the afternoon wandering in my woods out back, getting soaked and watching the creek rise. It was great.

Oct 25, 2006
Guy And Boyd

Thanks for the info on the Stone.

I had a really great time yesterday, especially on Martha Road going back to Rt.679, the puddles were over 100 feet in length in most spots, water splashing all over the vehicle, on the windshield, the Taurus would have never made it past the washout right off of Rt.679. I definitely got a rush Jeepin it.

The rain really coming down at the Pump House, the wind whipping the trees, Wow.

We decided Friday night that Hanna was going to be more bark than bite, so we decided to go Saturday, it was definitely worth the $3.22 a gallon, bought in NJ of course.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
James,

You really had a good time it seems. Nothing better than that. The next time you are in the Buck Run area take a look around and see if you find this. I found it years ago and have never found it again.

buckrun.jpg

Guy

Guy

Martha's Furnace in the late 70's was the second place in the Pines that i explored, Hampton Furnace was the first, i seem to recall an Historic Sign there, would you have a pic of the sign ?

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy

Martha's Furnace in the late 70's was the second place in the Pines that i explored, Hampton Furnace was the first, i seem to recall an Historic Sign there, would you have a pic of the sign ?

Jim

Jim,

Yes I do. However, it had to be the mid 70’s that the sign was there. My photo’s were developed in 1/74 so I suspect it was 1973 when I took them, and the next time I visited Martha which was quite often it was gone. It was placed there by the Boy Scouts Troup 76 from Chalfont PA. I had a 110 camera then which was quite poor, so the photo reflects that. I have given you two views for clarity. The missing letters if you look closely have the word "Jive" written across them.

1_74Martha.jpg

1_74.jpg

Guy