Where exactly do you enter Oswego

lost soul

Scout
Mar 4, 2007
Pitman
Good point. It's just with all the posted signs by Haines I just assumed they owned the road. I never gave it a second thought that it might be state owned.

lost soul

Scout
Mar 4, 2007
Pitman
I checked with Bass River today. They said they thought it was privately owned, but I should check with Wharton SF. Wharton said that it indeed was owned by Haines and they gated the road to keep people off their property. I'm still waiting to hear back from Haines I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I checked with Bass River today. They said they thought it was privately owned, but I should check with Wharton SF. Wharton said that it indeed was owned by Haines and they gated the road to keep people off their property. I'm still waiting to hear back from Haines I'll keep my fingers crossed.

That is news to me. That road extended past their property making it a right of way. I traveled that road for years in the 70's.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That road (Andrews Road) has been around for 100 years. Before it was called Andrews Road it was New Road, and the bridge where you carry the Kayaks across was called New Bridge. You can see that on the Burlington County South map that Ben has on this site. It is a right of way that passes between properties on both sides, some private, and some state.

My property records do not make it to that part of the lake, so I can’t come forward with proof that the road is public. But lets look at it from this point of view. The bridge next to the Pleasant Mills church is public, but they have closed it off for various reasons. One the bridge is not in great shape, but I can bet you the church was not happy about vehicles passing that close during service, or for that matter at any time. So they closed it down.

I say the same happened at Oswego. He didn’t want vehicles traveling down it, the state most likely was tired of policing his property around the lake, and as I mentioned the feds did not want vehicles there either. So they put up a gate and all involved are happy. Just like the gate at the Pleasant Mills church.

With that said, I still would make sure you have permission from whoever you feel is the owner. And if they say no I would take that as the final answer.

I will do my best in the coming months to get proof of ownership of that road at the gate.

Guy

lost soul

Scout
Mar 4, 2007
Pitman
Thanks for the info Guy. I honestly don't know what to think what your saying makes sense. Maybe the woman at Batsto is mistaken. Looking at the USGS map that section of road isn't part of Wharton SFso maybe she just assumed as I did that it must be private property. After all these people are there to explain park rules and activities not get into property boundries and right of ways.

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
Lost Soul?

WHERE IN PITMAN? I grew up there all my life. I work at Peter Lumber.
I'm Ken

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Whatever the laws are regarding roads such as this, they seem to be interpreted on a case by case basis. Years ago someone asked me how we could put a gate across the Wells Mills Road when it is a long-standing public road ( this is the sand road that crosses Oyster Creek below the millpond and then then goes south to Barnegat, not present Rt. 532). All Ocean County Parks have gated access though, and are only open from sunrise to sunset. And since an adult community blocks access to the road from the south, it really hasn't been used as a through road for decades. Is gating it legal? I have no idea. Back when the question came up, I was simply given the practical reasons why we gate it. I think that applies to most other cases, unless someone takes it to a higher legal level.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Whatever the laws are regarding roads such as this, they seem to be interpreted on a case by case basis. Years ago someone asked me how we could put a gate across the Wells Mills Road when it is a long-standing public road ( this is the sand road that crosses Oyster Creek below the millpond and then then goes south to Barnegat, not present Rt. 532). All Ocean County Parks have gated access though, and are only open from sunrise to sunset. And since an adult community blocks access to the road from the south, it really hasn't been used as a through road for decades. Is gating it legal? I have no idea. Back when the question came up, I was simply given the practical reasons why we gate it. I think that applies to most other cases, unless someone takes it to a higher legal level.

Thanks for your input German!

Guy

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Coming from Rt 679, turn right when reach the intersection facing the fenced ruins at Martha. You will come to a fork in the road and notice on the left fork there used to be a gate which is now gone. Take that road and you should be able to find it...

Well, we attempted to find this again today. This is the most diffucult site the wife and I have ever attempted to find. Can I get another clue or hint?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Enter from Harrisville and drive up to Martha to the intersection with the fence on your left. Keep going straight with the fence on your left. You are heading NE. Travel about a mile and you will come to a road on your left that looks like it had a gate at one time. It obviously looks different. Turn left and it takes you right to it. Note that just before you come to that road, if you look to the right through the trees as you are driving, you can see that there is some sort of clearing in the distance. That is the cranberry bogs that the pump house was apparently built for. When that clearing disappears you are nearing the road to make the left.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went by there today and Haines has two trailers blocking the road. Have they been there?

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I went by there today and Haines has two trailers blocking the road. Have they been there?

Guy

Guy, I saw those trailers 3 weeks ago. I think they are actually bee hives. I noticed there are openings in the sides up near the roof where they can get out and go pollinate the cranberry and blueberries this spring.

That is just a guess, but it seems logical.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It does seem logical. I wonder if driving them around confuses them?

Guy

lost soul

Scout
Mar 4, 2007
Pitman
They are wood chip trailers. Someone is doing some land clearing or trimming the right of way. Last week there was also a tree skidder and an old army tractor parked there.

lost soul

Scout
Mar 4, 2007
Pitman
Yes it is. As for my hike the other week, I never heard back from Haines and after what you said about the road being a right of way we decided to just go for it. The gate by Old Martha Rd. was open and no one was around so it was a non issue. Thanks for the help everyone had a good time.