Where exactly do you enter Oswego

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
I'm going to canoe from Oswego Lake to Harrisville Pond. Where exactly do you put the canoe in. The one road that leads to the dam has a keep out barrier!

mx174k

Aug 13, 2005
Tabernacle
You have to paddle across the lake and cross the road next to the dam. In my opinion the oswego river is the most peaceful and relaxing river in the pines. Don't forget to stop at Martha and the cranberry pumping station.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One of the reasons for the the barrier is the bombing range, but also the back of the lake is private property. So as mx174k correctly said, drop off by the parking lot, paddle across the lake to the dam, carry across the road, and enjoy as mx174k correctly mentioned the best river in the pines.

Guy

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
Thank you. I really can't wait to do this trip

I figured that is what I had to do. Thanks again. This forum has been a big help.

Oct 25, 2006
One of the reasons for the the barrier is the bombing range, but also the back of the lake is private property. So as mx174k correctly said, drop off by the parking lot, paddle across the lake to the dam, carry across the road, and enjoy as mx174k correctly mentioned the best river in the pines.

Guy

Do the canoe rental places officially drop you off at the lake? Then unofficially tell you the run starts on the other side of the lake at the dam? Use to do the run in my own canoe years back when access was no problem.Does the owner of the land hassle people when caught?

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
You have to paddle across the lake and cross the road next to the dam. In my opinion the oswego river is the most peaceful and relaxing river in the pines. Don't forget to stop at Martha and the cranberry pumping station.

I've searched for instances of the Pumping Station, however I haven't been real successful. What's the location as it relates to Martha Furnace?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do the canoe rental places officially drop you off at the lake? Then unofficially tell you the run starts on the other side of the lake at the dam?

Yes they do drop you off at the lake, and tell you that you must paddle across and pull it across the road. At least that was my experience.

Does the owner of the land hassle people when caught?

The property owner does not own the road, so if you walk down it there is nothing they can do. Now the cops can so be careful.

We were on a hike once in the woods out that way, and I left my car at Oswego lake for an early exit. As I was walking down that road heading towards Oswego lake, the property owners were setting up some sort of party. I just kept looking straight ahead and walked. They did not say anything.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We were on a hike once in the woods out that way, and I left my car at Oswego lake for an early exit. As I was walking down that road heading towards Oswego lake, the property owners were setting up some sort of party. I just kept looking straight ahead and walked. They did not say anything. Guy

They looked out toward the lake hoping you were not the owner. They were having a party on private land.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I've searched for instances of the Pumping Station, however I haven't been real successful. What's the location as it relates to Martha Furnace?

Coming from Rt 679, turn right when reach the intersection facing the fenced ruins at Martha. You will come to a fork in the road and notice on the left fork there used to be a gate which is now gone. Take that road and you should be able to find it...

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
TeeGate said:
The property owner does not own the road, so if you walk down it there is nothing they can do. Now the cops can so be careful.

Guy, you make it sound like it's illegal to portage across the road. That isn't the case, or is it??

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, you make it sound like it's illegal to portage across the road. That isn't the case, or is it??

I didn't say that. I said they did not own the road. And the property I was refering to is on the left side of that road after you pass the gate, on the other side of the lake from the parking area.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If Haines and Haines don't own the road then how can they gate it?

The state owns it, and most likely they were asked by the feds at the bombing range to put a gate there to keep vehicles from getting too close. Just a guess.

In any event, we have hiked back there and vehicles passed us. There is a gun club back there (Oswego Gun Club) and they get there also. So I would assume it is just a deterrent.

Anyone else agree or not??

Guy

lost soul

Scout
Mar 4, 2007
Pitman
I called Haines today to ask permission to use the road for a hike. The woman I spoke to didn't seem to know much about the area I was talking about and said she would have to check with her brother. I'll let you know what they have to say when I hear back from them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I called Haines today to ask permission to use the road for a hike. The woman I spoke to didn't seem to know much about the area I was talking about and said she would have to check with her brother. I'll let you know what they have to say when I hear back from them.

I would make sure I talked with the state also since you are asking for permission. They own the road I am sure.

Guy