Where is Calico Ridge?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Are you saying that river/stream valleys in particular demonstrate this characteristic, or that it is a general feature of all pine topography?

Boyd, it is something I noticed. I don't know if there is any validity to it. It could very well be a peculiarity in several areas.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I should have explained the position from where I was looking at the elevation. The wind would be blowing from the NW, so the steeper elevation would be facing towards that direction.

Gibby,

I don't think we're looking at wind deposits.

Check this out:

Spung-Man said:
It is believed that this valley asymmetry is related in part to sunshine or “insolation” dynamics. The Pine Barrens experienced extended cold periods for the last couple of million years. During frigid episodes the ground remained frozen late into the summer (deep seasonal frost) or remained frozen all year round (permafrost). Although air temperatures were quite cold, the sun’s rays were still warming. Radiant energy was strong enough to thaw the ground in direct exposure to the sun, especially when snow cover was thin.

North- and East-facing slopes are often steeper here because they received the least amount of thawing sun. South- and West-facing slopes received the most amount of radiant energy, so they thawed and wasted away much more quickly than North- and East-facing slopes. This effect is not very well pronounced in the Arctic since there the sun’s angle is very low and not very intense. That is not the case in the Pine Barrens. It is believed that in frozen mid-latitude South Jersey the resultant slope asymmetry is well expressed because of insolation (Demitroff, 2007: 82–83; French et al., 2007: 54).
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/atlantic-coastal-plain.7047/

Reactions: Gibby

martink

Apr 5, 2009
Hammonton NJ
Always nice having these old threads. We hiked out to the Calico Ridge location just north of Martha today. No view of the river due to the heavy growth but lots of gorgeous mountain laurel. I didn’t know it was also called calico before reading it here.

Attachments

• 10DBDE9D-B295-4EB3-9783-24A32008CB4F.jpeg
    10DBDE9D-B295-4EB3-9783-24A32008CB4F.jpeg
    8 MB · Views: 169
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Always nice having these old threads. We hiked out to the Calico Ridge location just north of Martha today. No view of the river due to the heavy growth but lots of gorgeous mountain laurel. I didn’t know it was also called calico before reading it here.

Just try to go back in the fall or winter to get a full perspective.

Reactions: martink

martink

Apr 5, 2009
Hammonton NJ
Those are cool views! Now that I don't have a commute my wife and I have been taking evening walks. It started around the block, then the local park, then trips to Atsion and Batsto. At some point we just started hiking the Batona south. We'll drive to an access point, walk two miles then another two miles back to the car, then to the next road crossing the next day. I think we're kind of stuck now given the lack of paved road crossings east of Martha (we have a minivan and don't want to try our luck on the sand roads). Here's our route in Google Maps.

Anyway, Boyd, I pretty much always have your 2-D maps up on my phone as we're walking along! Thanks for such a cool service.

• Love
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks! Funny to see the links to the "old boydsmaps" site in this thread. That map no longer exists on my site, it is now the NJPB LIDAR map. Have come a long way with my website(s) since 2013. :)

By the end of the summer, I *hope* to have a dedicated mobile version of the online maps. Have been spending all my time now on a new generation topo map with a lot more detail than my old "Pines HD" map, and the plan is to release it exclusively on the mobile site. Also planning a new system to directly access my maps in several popular smartphone apps, so you could download any section that you want directly in the app on your phone without needing a computer at all.

Somewhere along the line, I'll also do a major update to the regular online site. The code's a Frankenstein monster that I slowly cobbled together and needs a re-write to make it easier for me to add new maps and features. Anyway, I have plenty to keep me busy at home this summer. :)