Where is this?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This one? Heres a clue. There are 2 streams that each empty their own water body to go under the hard road (said road only 140 feet from the the water bodies). The streams, as they go under the road separately, are about 1,500 feet apart. They join together about 1,800 feet SE of the road.

View attachment 22408
Okay, here's your can't miss clue, taken from my car window today.

1716691546217.jpeg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were at this location years ago and missed this. We were looking for sawmills. We went back today and Jessica noticed it. Where is it? For some of you it should be easy especially if you pass by in the winter. And finally, what do you think it was used for? I have maybe a good explanation.

IMG_9707a.jpg

IMG_9702a.jpg

Some hints. This is nearby.

IMG_9699a.jpg

And this painted monument tells you somewhat where it is.
IMG_9695a.jpg

Reactions: 66C10

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
We were at this location years ago and missed this. We were looking for sawmills. We went back today and Jessica noticed it. Where is it? For some of you it should be easy especially if you pass by in the winter. And finally, what do you think it was used for? I have maybe a good explanation.

View attachment 22817

View attachment 22818

Some hints. This is nearby.

View attachment 22819

And this painted monument tells you somewhat where it is.
View attachment 22820
Where I have no idea. But just a guess it was used to hold a wheel of a mill? The rebar must make it at least late 19th century early 20th century

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Where I have no idea. But just a guess it was used to hold a wheel of a mill? The rebar must make it at least late 19th century early 20th century

You may be correct. The 1931 aerial shows a dwelling and maybe other buildings, and there is evidence of it there. If that location was there many years previously, it may be an historical place. Then again maybe not but my thoughts could be correct.

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
You may be correct. The 1931 aerial shows a dwelling and maybe other buildings, and there is evidence of it there. If that location was there many years previously, it may be an historical place. Then again maybe not but my thoughts could be correct.
What do you think the 3rd photo is?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is a property monument. It is in the same line as the pink painted one so they both are also road monuments for the nearby road.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you have walked the Batona and know where Lilly Of The Valley grows along the trail very near Brendan Byrne you would find it.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The ruins are located on the south side of 72 just as you enter the Batona. Notice the monuments and the Lilly of the Valley if you hike through. Also notice someone has been metal detecting. Anyway, the 1931 aerials shows what most likely is the main building and some outer buildings. My photo above that started all of this most likely shows something that was used by them.

However, if the building was old in 1931 it could easily been there from lets say 1850 or so, when the old Barnegat road was used to get to the shore with horses.

With that said let's look at a 1933 map of Lebanon and the 1931 aerial showing that general area was called "Chambers Rest." Could Chambers Rest have been a rest stop along the Barnegat Road and it faded away when the state built what today is Route 72? I would think maybe so, unless someone has other idea's or info.

Chambers Rest 2.jpg

Chambers Rest.jpg

I did a search for "Chambers Rest" and I found a mention of it in a 1933 article about the locations that hunters had shot their deer. Other than that I know nothing else.

1933 Article.jpg

But more interesting to me is that location is along the Tibbs Branch and "Tibbs Watering Place" was located at the bridge where the old Barnegat road crossed. That would have been at the same location. In fact, this map from 1926 shows "Tibbs Watering Place" at the same location with a tack being placed 33 or maybe 55 feet from the center of the bridge along the Barnegat Road.

Tibbs.jpg

The survey notes showing there was a tack at Tibbs Bridge.

Tack Tibbs Bridge.jpg

And as mentioned above "Chambers Rest" is not mentioned in 1926 but it is in 1933. The 1933 map above actually shows the location of Lebanon survey monument NJ52 at the bridge. BTW, no bridge is there anymore.

So what I am getting at is could Chambers Rest have originally been Tibbs Watering Place, especially if it was an old building with some history to it? And the ruins in my first photo could have something to do with Tibbs Watering Place as well as Chambers Rest.

I don't have much info so I am really just putting this out for all to decided or think about. I would really need to do a title search to figure it all out. I am sure the NJCF had one done when they acquired the property so maybe someone knows. But do they care or really understand the history of it?

Last edited:

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
image0.jpeg

Where’s this? Photo was taken about 2013 so I think the bridge has been replaced since. Hints are that it is south near my stomping grounds and the biggest hint is that it was a place of local prominence up until mid 1800s. It is an avenue on historic maps

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like it would soon be needing replacement so no surprise it was replaced :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Here
I once proceeded east across that bridge and where the trail makes a sharp left and heads to the power line I went straight and tried to follow the old highway.I followed the u shaped depression for maybe a hundred yards and the briars became so bad I turned around.That area of woods out there needs a serious burn.
By the way did you ever go see the stamping floor of the old Forge i told you about? That bridge is maybe fifty yards from it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd and 66C10

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
I never did although it's so crazy thick back there last time I went down that trail the trail turned into a tunnel after you take the left towards the powerlines.
after looking at this https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.385610/-74.937940/midatlidar/0.00/0.00 I realize now that Forge Ave is actually the dam.
This trail https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.377818/-74.932624/midatlidar/0.00/0.00 I've been down this year from the power lines to the bridge to Lawren's branch and I just noticed a possible tar kiln on it today looking at lidar

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I never did although it's so crazy thick back there last time I went down that trail the trail turned into a tunnel after you take the left towards the powerlines.
after looking at this https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.385610/-74.937940/midatlidar/0.00/0.00 I realize now that Forge Ave is actually the dam.
This trail https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.377818/-74.932624/midatlidar/0.00/0.00 I've been down this year from the power lines to the bridge to Lawren's branch and I just noticed a possible tar kiln on it today looking at lidar
Yes the dam is the old road,Quite common even today to use dams as road ways. Have to been to the stamping Floor? There is a brick pavement still visible there.It's between the raceway and the creek

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
This one? Heres a clue. There are 2 streams that each empty their own water body to go under the hard road (said road only 140 feet from the the water bodies). The streams, as they go under the road separately, are about 1,500 feet apart. They join together about 1,800 feet SE of the road.

View attachment 22408
Did I miss where this is? I know it was reposted a few times.