Where is this?

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
Yes!

PS: I'd like to know some history about the bridge. When was it in use, etc.....
I would too. I'd wager, that there is a connection to Jesse Evans, the Ironmaster at Martha. There is a remark in the Martha Journals about his being involved in road building.Mentioned here on page 9: http://www.bassriverhistory.org/uploads/6/8/7/1/6871754/martha_furnance_diary_intro.pdf I've never read or heard anything about this bridge. It is one of my favorite hiking destinations.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Where is this:

upload_2017-8-22_19-37-42.png

Reactions: h2ochild

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Those branches need a good tug

It really is a dangerous situation. If that dam blew out, it would not be good if anyone is canoeing on the river system that reservoir feeds. I don't think it would wipe them totally out, but the first shock might cause them to tip over into a swirling mess.

T

Toothy Critter

Forge Rd Facing Westecunk Creek Res. just above dam at water gauge (Stafford Forge)

T

Toothy Critter

That back reservoir has been going dry often since the State ordered all dams lowered before Sandy. Unfortunately This dam has never been restored to its normal level. All the water in Stafford Forge has been lower on average since, Stafford Forge has been notoriously ignored since Christie has been in office, as has a lot of State land, But this WMA in particular

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That back reservoir has been going dry often since the State ordered all dams lowered before Sandy. Unfortunately This dam has never been restored to its normal level. All the water in Stafford Forge has been lower on average since, Stafford Forge has been notoriously ignored since Christie has been in office, as has a lot of State land, But this WMA in particular

I was thinking about what Stafford Forge could really become if enough money and vision were involved. I'd break a wide (maybe 100 feet) breach in each dike so that the water level is always equal throughout all ponds. That would have the secondary effect of eliminating those dangerous spillway remnants. Then I'd create a nice, big public beach with swimming dock in one of them. I might even create a few artificial islands so boaters would have some interest as they wander from pond to pond.

There is a nice stream on the east side with interesting flora. I'd leave that side alone.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I was thinking about what Stafford Forge could really become if enough money and vision were involved. I'd break a wide (maybe 100 feet) breach in each dike so that the water level is always equal throughout all ponds. That would have the secondary effect of eliminating those dangerous spillway remnants. Then I'd create a nice, big public beach with swimming dock in one of them. I might even create a few artificial islands so boaters would have some interest as they wander from pond to pond.

There is a nice stream on the east side with interesting flora. I'd leave that side alone.

I've been upset at how that conditions have declined at this tract over the years as well, as it is not far from my home and I've utilized it, along with my family, for close to 30 years now. Bob, I don't know if your idea on the water levels would work because it assumes all the floodgates are at the exact same elevation. Where there are large networks of cranberry bogs the upper bogs were typically slightly higher than the lower ones. That allowed water to only flow in only one direction during various operations and allowed separate water management on each bog. Cultivation no longer exists here but that topography still does. In order for all the bogs to be flooded to one level, the lowest dam, which is the road in this case, might have to be raised. But I can see potential advantages in maintaining the ability to control water levels separately in each bog, if the state ever again had the resources to repair and maintain the gates (one can dream :rolleyes:). A deeper water body would better benefit boaters and fishermen and a shallower one more likely benefit waterfowlers. Different non-game species would benefit from either condition as well. With more habitat being lost each day in our state I'm a big believer in managing for diversity.

Reactions: h2ochild and bobpbx
T

Toothy Critter

Stafford Forge is A WMA, It is not for beaches and such. Got plenty of them a few miles east. WMA stands for Wildlife Management Area, not public beaches, Sorry Bob, but I would rather keep it in its lowly state that to adopt your "vision" ;) Just raise the dam back up and repave a few roads around it, then repair a few dams. Most people don't realize that the isolated ponds are now teeming with largemouth bass. One of my favorite places in the pines

Last edited by a moderator: