Where is this?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

No guesses? Well, I guess I will give you a bonus Christmas Eve vague clue.

This building is on the other side of the road about 100 years away. I was thinking it was a gun club but I spoke with members of another gun club who told me it looks more like a building for workers. They said a gun club would not have that many doors and windows. Their opinion not necessarily mine, even though I believe they are correct. I may have to stop in one day to the house next door and ask.

DSC_3435a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, I have plenty more good clues that will strain your brain.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Interesting Guy. They came all the way across the pines from where they live to get a club in the pines.
Extremely common in the Pines, Bob. Look at Audubon Deer Club, Woodbury Antlers, Bordentown Gub Club, Chambersburg, etc.
I know several guys in Buck Run on Oswego Road and their original members are all from Blackwood in Camden County.

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Browsing around the 3d LIDAR, I thought this terrain was pretty interesting. Had no idea where it was until I switched to a topo map. Not quite the Pines, but it is South Jersey. The 3x vertical exaggeration makes the landscape more dramatic, in reality the creek bed elevation is about 45 feet and the "mountains" are around 115 to 140 feet.

Where is this?

where-is-this.jpg

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Interesting Guy. They came all the way across the pines from where they live to get a club in the pines.
It is fascinating to me that deer were nearly hunted out of existence by 1900. In 1901 there were only 20 legally shot deer in the entire state! Fish and game prohibited hunting until 1909 and began releasing "imported" deer into the pines hoping their population would increase. As the herds recovered, interest in hunting returned but you had to go to the pines to find your quarry. Seemingly every town sent a group to the "deer woods" or "big woods". Some camped, some stayed with locals, and others bought a small piece of land and built a clubhouse. Interest soared in the 1920s and again following World War II. As Guy confirms, many deeds for such properties can be found at the county clerk.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
As previously stated alot of clubs were originally not local to the pines but came there in search of deer. Had a older member of a club tell me stories of how at home in Swedesboro deer were gone and wiped out. They would go to the pines and even harvesting one deer was a feat. Also this was a place to get away from the daily grind one week a year with family and friends. Nothing like going to the deer woods and the cabin. Clubs have gained and lost members over the years but unfortunately alot of them have since closed especially lately as hunting has lost popularity which is a real shame. There is an interesting spreadsheet of clubs in bass River or neighboring area on another site that shows gun clubs. Alot of clubs gone and that's just one area. http://www.bassriverhistory.org/misc-historical-lists.html

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Browsing around the 3d LIDAR, I thought this terrain was pretty interesting. Had no idea where it was until I switched to a topo map. Not quite the Pines, but it is South Jersey. The 3x vertical exaggeration makes the landscape more dramatic, in reality the creek bed elevation is about 45 feet and the "mountains" are around 115 to 140 feet.

Where is this?

View attachment 16627
I think it is time for you to to tell.

• Haha
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I figured that nobody was interested. :D

I offered clues to one of my locations multiple times and nobody responded so I stopped also. I have done the same with the gun club deeds because nobody seemed interested.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Please do not stop!!!! I think I can speak for a lot of members, We are interested in all things in the pines. I have not posted/replied about certain topics because I do not have the knowledge of the pines like other members have. But... I read every post.

Love my "pine barrens history shorts" and "where is this"

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I will second the wick. I enjoy both Boyd's and guys post. I do not comment sometimes as I do not know the answers and do not want get in the way of anyone who may. Guy I am very interested in the shorts and also gun club information.

Reactions: Boyd and Menantico

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Dont think this is considered the pine barrens, but im sure you guys/gals will get this.
Looks familiar. Is this near a cranberry or blueberry field?

Note: I have moved these two posts to this thread, @trop81 had started a new thread with the same name and that was bound to cause lots of confusion! :)

Reactions: Wick

trop81

Scout
Mar 17, 2011
hammonton nj
Note: I have moved these two posts to this thread, @trop81 had started a new thread with the same name and that was bound to cause lots of confusion! :)
Sorry about that boyd, can see where it's confusion now, My shack post is not near a cranberry field. But it is within a few miles of blueberry fields