Where to pedal in the pines???

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
I use to Mtn bike many many years ago, you know, before kids, now the oldest one who is 10 just got his first 24" mtn bike, so I had to get a new one also and picked one up last week. Where to go that the trails are not to deep in sand??

Any ideas??

Thanks

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I use to Mtn bike many many years ago, you know, before kids, now the oldest one who is 10 just got his first 24" mtn bike, so I had to get a new one also and picked one up last week. Where to go that the trails are not to deep in sand??

Any ideas??

Thanks

Allaire SP has mt bike trails, quite a few as I recall. My kids used to go there quite a bit. Brendan Byrne also has trails, a map below. Any of the sand roads used by vehicles should also work, and there are many; just bring a GPS.

http://www.bikekinetix.com/t_nj/nj_state/brendan_byrne_map.html

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
An alternative to following a route suggested elsewhere is to print a portion of a topo or arial map of an area that interests you and explore a route that looks good on paper. I've explored many potential hikes on my bike that way. If the route or loop didn't pan out it was easier to cover the ground back to my starting point or explore other options on the bike.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
An alternative to following a route suggested elsewhere is to print a portion of a topo or arial map of an area that interests you and explore a route that looks good on paper. I've explored many potential hikes on my bike that way. If the route or loop didn't pan out it was easier to cover the ground back to my starting point or explore other options on the bike.

Doesn't Wells Mills CP have some bike trails, or have they been removed?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Medford Piney,

There are places right in Medford to do that. A good starter location is the property the state purchased from the Girl Scouts which contains the below bridge. It was a nice addition to Wharton and one you may want to check out. I saw Mtn Bike riders there when I was visiting. Let me know if you are interested and I will pass along some info to you.

IMG_7246.JPG

Guy

Stamos

Scout
Jun 11, 2009
Shamong
Go to Batsto Village and park in the back of the lot.

There are two loops there marked as green and blue I think. One loop is about 20 miles the other (green I believe is about 6 miles) but you can easily do an "out and back" for as long as you like. Trails are very well marked and maintained fairly well. Not too much sand suprisingly but ticks and chiggers can be a problem in the height of the summer months.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Doesn't Wells Mills CP have some bike trails, or have they been removed?

Wells still has a bike trail. It is the one blazed with yellow markings and is about 3.5 miles long There are plans on greatly extending its length, using the Land Trust property recently purchased to the East.

Eli

Apr 13, 2008
Medford Lakes
Medford Piney, depending on what kind of riding you like, there is some good single track behind kings grant in evesham. also camp ocky in medford has some good trails. Batsto however has a nice back woods feel.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Thanks for the replies everyone.... I looking to stay local to the Medford area, this will be a new thing for my son, we have trails right in our delevopment but he is getting bored of them, we have to reuse the same system 6 times or put in alot of pavement and still circle 3 or 4 tiimes to get in a nice ride. It has been a long time, I have not pedeled in Kings Grant so remembering where they are might be a problem, my wife works for Camp Ocky and that is close by also. Teegate, is that area of the picture back along Jackson Rd not far from where the powerlines intersect??? Some additional info would be great, thanks!!!! Batso is not to far, I hear there where trails there but the few I talked to either never found the trail head or only rode deep sand.

Allure, wells mills are options, along with Mercer County park and Clayton Park near great adventure, but I rather not have to drive further (time wise) then pedaling, my son is not a very athletic type, this whole thing is to get him stronger and give him something to do, he doesn't have a good social situation right now in his life. Later when he is more proficient and strong I will travel further.

Thanks Again

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
My kids are a little younger than your son and are also not up to the challenge of sugar sand. They like riding the Pemberton Rails to Trails path. It's not technical at all--flat and packed--and they'll ride 3 miles round trip and beg for more (or beg for slushies at the Wawa next to the railroad station).

I took my daughter out on the trails at Batsto shortly after she turned eight and she was not happy at all. There's one very short trail there (I think a half mile?) that she liked, but it hardly seems worth hauling bikes out there if that's the only thing you're going to do. I, however, enjoyed the longer trails a great deal!

Please post again and let us know if you've found some good rides for the younger set. I love to take the kids out and I want to keep it interesting. Good luck!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Medford Piney, depending on what kind of riding you like, there is some good single track behind kings grant in evesham..

When I used to live on Atsion Rd in Medford, a neighbor from nearby went crazy and shot this mother, then IIRC he went to that area in Kings Grant and shot some poor kid who just happened to be riding by. This was maybe 7 or 8 years ago, quite a tragedy.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yes, that was it. I think the reason he killed his mother was that she wouldn't give him money to buy cigarettes. I can't believe he only got a 50 year sentence for that double murder. How could you possibly ever justify his release?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Teegate, is that area of the picture back along Jackson Rd not far from where the powerlines intersect??? Some additional info would be great, thanks!!!!

Thanks Again

After thinking this over it may be a little more challenging to get to this place than you would want to undertake.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Please post again and let us know if you've found some good rides for the younger set. I love to take the kids out and I want to keep it interesting. Good luck!

This morning my son and I braved the extreme heat and went to Batso Village. We picked up a trail map at the visitor's center and headed out. We rode the "green" trail, 6.2 miles of about 70 percent single tract and the rest jeep trail. Not to easy but not very difficult. Flowing in the single tract sections and some gradual inclines if you ride it in the clockwise direction. There are alternatives to ride and connect some of the other trails to ride a bit more in length without getting on the 18 mile trail... The trail head is at the far left rear corner of the parking lot...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glad the both of you did that together. Very nice!

Guy