Which GPS to buy?

airgunner23

May 13, 2009
The Garmin 60CSX is the best handheld out there, in my humble opinion.
It gets a lock inside of a building, is easy to use, has an electronic compass, bright screen, waterproof, floats and you can add pre-programmed micro sd's of the navigational and topographic charts in a few seconds. You can also buy CD's containing large amps and pick and chose your uploads.
It has amazing battery life with two AA alkalines too.
I have one and I bought one for one of my sons.
Someone recently posted that Amazon has them for $299.99 which is a great deal.
I use mine at least 3 days a week between surveying and recreation.
Used it today by converting some 1927 State Plane coords to lat/lon and went out and found some corners.

Uh, no, it does NOT float. The 76CSx does, however...

airgunner23

May 13, 2009
You better hurry up and email this guy and tell him he's full of sh*t.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2361118443564888241

Apparently it does float with lithiums.

Um, maybe you'd better check and make sure you're not full of sh*t and reference THE RIGHT GPS.

That's a 60Cx and NOT a 60C"ESSS"x. ESSS, S... SENSORS. As in having the built in electronic compass and barometric altimeter which equals MORE weight. The 60C"ESSS"x does NOT float, even with minutely lighter lithium batteries.

airgunner23

May 13, 2009
I have a 60CSX and have done the float test with it. It sinks like a rock.

I am not getting into a slappy fight with anyone over this matter, however. :D

What "slappy fight"? The guy made an incorrect statement and deserved the swift correction he got. Even you did the test with the CORRECT GPS model and had the same DOES NOT FLOAT result. :clint:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What "slappy fight"? The guy made an incorrect statement and deserved the swift correction he got. Even you did the test with the CORRECT GPS model and had the same DOES NOT FLOAT result. :clint:

Remember, there has been a time in your life when you have been wrong, and I am sure you did not want someone making big deal out of your mistake.

Lets all calm down.

Guy

airgunner23

May 13, 2009
Remember, there has been a time in your life when you have been wrong, and I am sure you did not want someone making big deal out of your mistake.

Lets all calm down.

Guy

Yeah, and that guy might just cause someone to lose their 60CSx because someone took his advice and bought one for marine use thinking it would float...and it does NOT.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, and that guy might just cause someone to lose their 60CSx because someone took his advice and bought one for marine use thinking it would float...and it does NOT.

It's nothing to get all worked up over. So it doesn't float. Just relax.

Guy