Which Smartphone?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Most of what I see flash used for are advertisements. Some of the news sites have their videos encoded in flash, but I'd rather just read the article anyway. I also have never said "damn, I wish I had flash on my phone."

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
If you decide to make the jump I suggest searching factory refurbished phones. When I upgraded from my Samsung Eternity (which was also a perfectly good refurbished phone) I was able to browse the factory refurbs on At&t's website. I was able to get a 16gb iPhone for $80! Brand new was selling for something like $300! Not a single problem with it.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
One thing to consider is battery life on the new 4G phones. The Android phones are particularly bad. I work with several folks who bought the new Droid phones recently and their battery has died in less than 8 hours. Part of their problem could be their usage, could the Droid phones have a reputation of short battery runtime. There are ways to turn off the 4G and save battery life, but something to consider if you are used to going a day or longer without worrying about battery life.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
As it relates to the iPhone, as mentioned earlier, if I ever went down that path I'd probably want to stick with Verizon. That being said, I just don't think the iPhone is for me. The more I read about it (again while running on Verizon's network), the less it wows me. The one thing the iPhone does have in its favor is battery-life compared to the other smartphones.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Well, last week, I took the plug and upgraded to a smartphone. I choose the Motorola Droid Razr MAXX with Verizon. I stayed with Verizon for the obvious coverage that I receive when at the campground in Chatsworth. I choose this one over the iPhone 4S due to the much larger battery and larger screen found in the MAXX. At first, I was reluctant about the entire smartphone concept, but damn, I don't thing there's anything this thing can't do. The number of and types of applications available are simply overwhelming. If you want to do something with this phone, chances are there's an application for it. I'm still getting used to the larger size vs. my LG Cosmos, but I think I'll get used to it. I also paid to activate the Verizon Hotspot for this first month of service to try it out. I was able to use it last weekend, so my wife's Kindle Fire could use it as hotspot and get to the Internet. It was pretty cool actually. I'm not sure that I'll keep it for every month, but it's nice to know it's there if/when I need it.

My Cosmos I always belt-carried with a belt-clip/case, however I'm thinking this may be a bit too large to do that. My other alternative is to just pocket-carry the phone, but that may be a bit uncomfortable too. I'm not sure how I'm going to end up carrying this phone everyday. How do you guys carry your smartphone?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That's one of the reasons why I like the iPhone so much. It's the perfect size. Do other phones have bigger screens? Yes. Do they fit in my pocket? No. I dated a girl that had a Droid Razr and it was ridiculously huge.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I hear ya. Hopefully, I'll be able to live with the size, either back on the belt on in the pocket. I'd have a hard time giving up this battery life vs. what I'd get on any other smartphone.