Whippoorbill's gift to us

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
That is a great website. More and more it makes it possible for a poor musician to preform a song, and after altering it using this technology, release it and it may become a hit. My kids have been quite disappointed that many of the songs they enjoy sound like crap when played live on TV. The musicians are just not that talented, but somehow they can release a quality song. Now we may know why.

Guy

I've had that same experience with my kids. In fact I have taken some small amount of pleasure in pointing out to them the subtle queues that tell you someone's voice has been heavily post-processed. You hear it a lot on R&B tracks these days. Few of the younger stars can really cut it in a live performance. But with software like Celemony's we may come to a point where you just can't tell the difference any longer.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I am glad you are enjoying the CD Bill. What did you have in mind with music to complement the bog sounds? Did you actually want a boogie? Or something more ambient? What did you have in mind?

Jeff

Quiet ambiance is definitely more my cup of tea, Jeff; but I'm always interested in hearing any musical interpretations mixed with natural sounds, whether they be inspired by my recordings or anyone else's. I'm definitely curious as to what the barrens' recordings might spur creatively in musicians, especially those like Gabe, Mark, Long-a-coming & yourself, who are also taken by the beauty of the barrens. Gabe's description of "sacred" nails my perception of how I value the wetland "symphonies."

beams2.jpg

I was in a Delaware Bay marshland under the moonlight a couple of evenings ago; the "noise" there blew me away, as well ...
dogstarr4a.jpg

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
All,

I have a three-minute mp3, actually a major edit from a long recording taken in a bog associated with the Tulpehocken area (a fine chorus of Fowler's toads, and peepers), mixed with a couple of chilly frogs (pretty sure they're leopard frogs; the cold has them crooning slow, and at a low pitch) recorded near Belleplain SF. FYI, I'm willing to upload to e-mail addresses if anybody wishes to hear and enjoy this. Simply send me a private message. Not sure how many out there get into the barren field-recordings, but, if there's any interest, I can post messages from time to time regarding shorter recordings that I can share with other members of the forum.

Bill

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bill, I've heard some of your recordings from Al(manumuskin). They are awesome recordings, and anytime you want to post them I'm all ears. Have you record anything recently from the Belleplain area?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Bill, I've heard some of your recordings from Al(manumuskin). They are awesome recordings, and anytime you want to post them I'm all ears. Have you record anything recently from the Belleplain area?

Thanks, Chris. If I understand from Al correctly, you also visited the little bog system where the recordings you heard were made. Beautiful, beautiful location ... I wish I had spent hours there capturing the sounds, but it was a Sunday evening and all hands needed to be up the next morning.

Yes, I've recently done some recording work in Belleplain (but more photography). I think I mentioned on another thread that I was surprised to hear pine barren tree frogs in Belleplain State Forest (two, in total ... at one small bog) and I made one brief recording of these guys. (They went something like, "Wonk! Wonk!" :) ) Sadly, though, I was having some problems with my recorder that night and the final result isn't so fine. I'd like to go back this weekend and try to obtain a better file.

Bill

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
All,

Bill has given us another great MP3 that has an interesting story behind it. I will let Bill tell you about it, and in the interim here is his audio work titled "Bullfrog Pond." It is 10MB so broadband is required.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/whippoorbill/bullfrog_pond.mp3

Thank you Bill!

Guy

Thanks for posting the MP3, Guy! I guess there is a story that goes along with this one. There's a lovely set of vernal ponds in Belleplain that I've visited and recorded at for a couple of years now. This year has been extra special, as the ponds have been hyperactive with crooning amphibians (and I've heard pine barren tree frogs there this spring ... but only on one occasion.) Anyway, I showed up there to record Sunday evening at dusk and a state ranger pulled into the area moments after I had set up and asked what I was doing. After explaining, he instructed me that I was in an area closed to the public and obviously was about to give me the old heave-ho. Well, to make a not-so-long story even shorter, the resulting look of dismay on my face, and a quick "moment of silence" (hand gestures included, demonstrating "are you, like, hearing this?") so as to allow the ranger an opportunity to absorb the beauty of the sounds afforded me a "That's okay. You're good. For tonight." He then drove off into the sunset. But if I'm to go back to these ponds, I've got to see if I can get permission from the superintendent of the state forest down there. Though I didn't ask why, I believe this area is closed because it is near to and along an access to a gravel pit that partyers tend to invade.

If I lose this spot, I'll be mightily depressed. :(

I spent last night in Wharton coming up with some real magic -- a couple of hours of material, featuring a beautiful mix with pine barren tree frogs -- three major recordings made at the same exact location (and sounding similar to) the first recording Guy and Ben graciously posted on this thread. I spent the entire night capturing sounds in the Friendship area before cruising over to Quaker Bridge Road for a dawn-transition take.

BTW, the MP3 Guy has just posted does indeed consist of a pond-load of rowdy/competing bullfrogs, along with plenty of northern gray tree frogs (racketmakers supreme), my begging the ranger to "please, please, let me stay" :) (seriously, this part has been edited out) -- plus an occasional green frog blurt and one looking-for-some-last minute-action Peeper of the Spring. Do have a listen to the MP3 if you can -- a solid audio system helps!

Thanks again, Guy.

Bill

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Outstanding.
Thank you for time well spent.
Scott

Thanks alot Bob, Scott and anybody else who has been able to have a hear of any of the posted recordings. I think the nicest thing anybody has ever said about these recordings were words by a friend from Connecticut who, understanding my appreciation for the sounds and places, for the endangered, wrote this:

One of the most endangered species is those with the ability to listen, to be still and simply observe what's all around us.

I guess I'm sorta whacko sitting bogside in the middle of no-where, at some ungodly hour, getting off on "noises," "solitude," and even the spaces between the sound. But it's me, and so, so real.

Bill

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I guess I'm sorta whacko sitting bogside in the middle of no-where, at some ungodly hour, getting off on "noises," "solitude," and even the spaces between the sound.

Then I'm whacko too Bill. Do you know those rye fields off of 539, the one big section made up of 200 football sized fields? I have been known to take a lawn chair deep into the middle of that area where some woods are surrounded by grassland, and sit for a couple of hours.

Just.....being quiet.....and listening to the woods...and contemplating things.

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Bill

I guess I'm sorta whacko sitting bogside in the middle of no-where, at some ungodly hour, getting off on "noises," "solitude," and even the spaces between the sound. But it's me, and so, so real.

Bill

Not at all. What a lovely thing to do and how awesome for you to share these with us.

You should sell those recordings! I have some nature cd's that I listen to sometimes when I'm piddling around the house. Lots of people buy those, Bill. Your recordings are better than my cd's! I didn't this entire thread. So, if you're already doing that, ignore me. :D

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills

Bill[/QUOTE]

One of my favorite spots is the very bottom of Holgate at midnight in November. Just sitting and listening to the surf hitting the beach and watching the line of boats drifting through the rips. Hoping the fish gods will bless me with one of their creatures!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was there when them geese came through.....we was knee deep in goo looking for leopard....not the feline kind.The here dey come....flyin oer the treetops,slidin in like Garry Maddox on home plate.Just a little ole Belleplain bog where Whip tried to feed me to a black snake oncet.
Alfie

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
Please don't ever stop posting these! Bring back memories of last July, I volunteered for NJ Audubon and did a Nightjar survey, this is like the soundtrack to that night! Absolutely lovely. Let me know if you have any recording os Northern Saw-Whet Owls!!!!

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Guy ... thanks for posting the recording.

I recommend the file (it's less than a minute long) be listened to with headphones. You'll swear the honkers are flying right through your brain. Plenty of frog action to be heard, as well.

Then here dey come....flyin' o'er the treetops, slidin' in like Garry Maddox on home plate.

Very poetic. But that's so 70s, Alfie.

Let me know if you have any recording of Northern Saw-Whet Owls!

Not yet! I've yet to spot or hear one around here. Has anyone? They're so tiny! Adorable! Like my Alfie!

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Saw-whet_Owl/id

Whip

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
What a marvelous aural fusion of two worlds-- earth and sky; depths and heights; squatting and soaring! I love the calls of these wild creatures and this combination is especially enjoyable.

Thanks, Whip, for patient hours recording, and Al, for tramping through the goo.

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
[I guess i just gave my age away:-(...thats about how long ago it was since i watched a ball game.when the phillies were on when pop pop was livin you either watched the ball game or you watched nothing at all:)Oh how i miss Him...pop pop that is ,not Gary.