Whirlwind Tour of the Pines.

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Even though it was pretty cold today, and even though we started out late and had to be in early, Tom and I did a whirlwind tour of the pines today. We started at Hampton Furnace, then we went to Friendship. Also included were Quaker Bridge, Charles Wills' grave, a fly-by of the Carranza Memorial, and Atsion... Oh, and also Washington.

I might be forgetting one or two places.

We saw a lot of deer, and two hawks, and I saw a Yucca, which entertained me endlessly.

At one point we passed by Mighty Joe's gas station, which has a giant ape statue outside, not unlike King Kong. Seeing as how I love King Kong, I desperately wanted to take a picture, but I didn't have a camera with me.

At any rate, it was a beautiful day despite the cold, and a perfect time to be quiet in the woods. Tom was playing some Chinese progressive rock, which, oddly, fit the mood.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ariadne said:
Tom was playing some Chinese progressive rock, which, oddly, fit the mood.

Good lord Tom! Chinese progressive rock? I knew you liked alternative stuff, but aren't you carrying this too far?

On the other hand, a girl who likes King Kong and is entertained by a yucca is easy to please, right?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Ariadne said:
At one point we passed by Mighty Joe's gas station, which has a giant ape statue outside, not unlike King Kong. Seeing as how I love King Kong, I desperately wanted to take a picture, but I didn't have a camera with me.

King Kong? It was clearly Mighty Joe Young! :rofl: I always loved that movie.

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
It was a great day. Very bitter out though. We started at Hampton Furnace, then took Glossy Spung road to Carranza. We stopped at Friendship and looked around for a while, then stopped off at Speedwell Road to visit Charles Wills. We then hopped on Hawkin road and made our way to Washington, then onto Quaker Bridge.

The Chinese stuff was San Bao. The only known recorded progressive rock to ever leave mainland China. Since the recording was rare and it was an unused movie soundtrack, I was asked to make titles for the songs because their were none when we did our radio tribute to The Far East a year ago. I was kinda at a loss, so I just started by naming them places in the pines so I could remember them. So since then, I have been listening to it every time I head out there.
I will make you a copy Bob ;)

Also VERY important: I discovered an excellent new sandwhich at Wawa. It has roast beef, montery jack, horseradish, then wrapped in a pretzel. Just excellent.

tg

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Badfish740 said:
King Kong? It was clearly Mighty Joe Young! :rofl: I always loved that movie.

Gah. Mighty Joe Young is like the Pepsi Clear of King Kong knock-off movies.

Now, in my humble opinion, King Kong VS Godzilla never got the accolades it truly deserved.

:v:

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I've stopped at that gas station w/ the giant ape(It's huge)
We got some minnows there and I asked about the ape.
The owners son passed away and he was a big bodybuilder. They changed the name of the store to Mighty Joe's. Joe was their son

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
long-a-coming said:
I've stopped at that gas station w/ the giant ape(It's huge)
We got some minnows there and I asked about the ape.
The owners son passed away and he was a big bodybuilder. They changed the name of the store to Mighty Joe's. Joe was their son

Oh. Well that makes the whole thing much more sad than kitzchy. Poor Joe. :(