Whitesbog this morning

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Was a pretty sunrise this morning and it was nice to see Leatherleaf in bloom.
leatherleafforweb.jpg

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Nikon D90 with Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro lens. The lens is amazing, just got it 2 weeks ago, and dropped it in Pakim pond last week, dried out for 2 days and still works great!

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
Nikon D90 with Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro lens. The lens is amazing, just got it 2 weeks ago, and dropped it in Pakim pond last week, dried out for 2 days and still works great!
I have a Nikon D50 and have looked at at macro lenses - so expensive but worth it. I take a ton of close up shots of plants and bugs, but, there is definitely a difference in the overall aesthetic and quality.

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Yeah, they are expensive, I paid $350 for my Tamron used. What lens are you using to take your closeup shots? For really close up work I got a set of macro extension tubes that go between the camera and the lens. This shot is with my tamron 90mm macro and a 36mm extension tube on my D90. Lots of fun to play with.
purpflowweb.jpg

Reactions: John

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
3856445005_5480eb4e32.jpg

Same lens. By the way - if anyone want a sure-fire way to get hummingbirds to hang out .... this is it! Black and Blue Salvia. It is an annual here but I know where to get it.

Reactions: John

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Being new to Photography, I had no idea how tough it was to get nice looking flower pictures, even more so when the flower is as tiny as Pyxie! Took me 3 trips to this location and many trial and errors but I am pretty happy with the result. Looking foward to the continued learning of my camera and to see all these neat wildflowers that pop up so close to home.
pyxieweb.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
White flowers are especially hard. You did a nice job with that one.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Nice! FD, are you using a tripod or shooting free hand for your macros ? I can invert the head on my tripod and shoot from underneath by the legs for the sharpest images. When I am just exploring I will contort my body into strange yoga poses to get the shot I want. Don't be surprised if you run into me in the coming months and I look like I was tackled on a muddy field - that means I found something of interest.:)

BTW- How did you make out with the Swamp Pink?

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
I modified a $40 amazon.com "Proline" tripod by cutting the centerpost off so when I lay the legs flat the camera is all the way to to ground. I use Live view, manual focus, cable shutter release. I dont mind the mud, it's the ticks I pick up laying on the ground that "bug" me! I really stink at hand holding shots so I always have 2 tripods with me when I go out.
Havent had time to hunt swamp pink.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I modified a $40 amazon.com "Proline" tripod by cutting the centerpost off so when I lay the legs flat the camera is all the way to to ground. I use Live view, manual focus, cable shutter release. I dont mind the mud, it's the ticks I pick up laying on the ground that "bug" me! I really stink at hand holding shots so I always have 2 tripods with me when I go out.
Havent had time to hunt swamp pink.

I believe I have the same tripod. The center column is reversible so you can basically hang the camera upside down and get down to ground level with it.

Sarra

Scout
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean Gate
Comptoniaperegrina.JPG

Not the best photo, but I am totally excited that we have Comptonia at work and finally didn't sell out, (yet), so I was able to get one!