Whiting Turntable

Oct 25, 2006
I was bored like hell this morning so i decided to go to Whiting to view the Turntable, on the way in the Chatsworth area i took the following two pics of Geodetic Markers. The Markers are in very close proximity to each other. Here is a pic of the first marker.
IMG_0526_1.jpg

A pic of the second Marker.
IMG_0527_1_1.jpg

It was then on to Whiting via Chatsworth-Pasadena Road, arriving in the area i took the two following pics. Here is the first pic of the Turntable.
IMG_0528_1.jpg

This is the second pic from another perspective.
IMG_0529_1.jpg

I then left Whiting to go to Southern Buckingham, at the Pole Branch Bridge i took the following pic looking West.
IMG_0531_1.jpg

Then it was time to go to the site of the Van Note Camp, i originally took three pics, the first one i trashed because it was horrible, here is the first pic of a foundation.
IMG_0533_1.jpg

The second pic is of a mound area. I wonder what is buried under it ?
IMG_0532_1.jpg

Then taking Glassworks Road to Butler Place Road South, at the first crossroad i made a right hand turn heading West on an unimproved road and after a short distance i took the following two pics of the area. The first is a real nice cellar hole.
IMG_0535_1.jpg

The second is of a foundation very close to the cellar hole.
IMG_0536_1.jpg

I got back in my car and proceeded a little further West on the road and took the following pic of this foundation. Was this a Gun Club ?
IMG_0539_1.jpg

Time to leave for home,in retrospect, i put 120 miles on my car @$3.81 a gallon, the deet helped with the ticks somewhat, i pulled 8 off of me, the flies were really bad at the Van Note Camp, but when i arrived at home my boredom was relieved, another great day in the Pines.

Jim

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The mound at Van Note Camp is most likely a giant mound of sawdust.

Your last picture is of what I call the "Buckingham Gun Club" although I am sure it was not named that.

That's one of my favorite areas.

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
I visited that area south of Buckingham a few months back and questioned that cellar hole. Only about 8-10' wide and maybe 20-25' deep, with a fireplace at the end. here's my pic.....
watermark.php

Also, did you notice the other foundation on the other side (as in your next pic). IIRC it created a symetrical layout of 3 foundations, with about a 10-15' separation between them (you can see in my pic one of the other foundations to the left, another identical is off to the right, not visible).

Ben quoted "Your last picture is of what I call the "Buckingham Gun Club" although I am sure it was not named that." Jim, did you venture further back, there's a neat little man made pond. The area is fairly littered though.

Jim quoted "Then taking Glassworks Road to Butler Place Road South, at the first crossroad i made a right hand turn heading West on an unimproved road." If I am understanding how you came in to that area (from Buckingham??), then if you had traveled further South on Butler Place Road you would have soon entered a beautiful cedar swamp....some magestic trees in there.

Interesting pics on the Turntable. Is it ok to get the whereabouts....like to visit.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
The mound at Van Note Camp is most likely a giant mound of sawdust.

Your last picture is of what I call the "Buckingham Gun Club" although I am sure it was not named that.

That's one of my favorite areas.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.9235770560497&lng=-74.44496870040894&z=17&type=h&gpx=

The pond area at the gun club is really neat, i liked the path that skirted around it.

Where the marker is on the map i also found a huge mound area,on the path to it was a discarded refrigerator, when i got to the mound area there was a multitude of rusted chairs around it, i took a pic of it but discarded it due to the multitude of flies there, camera shake.:)

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
James,

I just saw this post. It looks like a good cure for boredom for sure. Nice going! Glad you finally found the correct turntable.

You may find this interesting. Here are photo taken by the surveyor when 3 G 1 was placed there. Notice his equipment. These photo’s are on the NGS website. The first three are his and the last one is mine.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/get_image.prl?PROCESSING=list&PID=AB6729

And all three of these photo’s for 3 L 1 are mine on the NGS website.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/get_image.prl?PROCESSING=list&PID=AB6682

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Guy

Thank you for steering me right on the turntable, the first time i was on the wrong side of the street.

The lines on those markers, what are they for ?

I wanted to also look further up the road around the T pole, i will do that tomorrow.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The center hole is obviously for their equipment to measure the center of the monument, and usually lines straight across means the monument is on a survey line. But I suspect on these disks it is just ornamentation.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
That one at the pole will be my first stop tomorrow morning, i wanted to view it after the overpass, but i wanted to go to Whiting ASAP.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
I visited that area south of Buckingham a few months back and questioned that cellar hole. Only about 8-10' wide and maybe 20-25' deep, with a fireplace at the end. here's my pic.....
watermark.php

Also, did you notice the other foundation on the other side (as in your next pic). IIRC it created a symetrical layout of 3 foundations, with about a 10-15' separation between them (you can see in my pic one of the other foundations to the left, another identical is off to the right, not visible).

Ben quoted "Your last picture is of what I call the "Buckingham Gun Club" although I am sure it was not named that." Jim, did you venture further back, there's a neat little man made pond. The area is fairly littered though.

Jim quoted "Then taking Glassworks Road to Butler Place Road South, at the first crossroad i made a right hand turn heading West on an unimproved road." If I am understanding how you came in to that area (from Buckingham??), then if you had traveled further South on Butler Place Road you would have soon entered a beautiful cedar swamp....some magestic trees in there.

Interesting pics on the Turntable. Is it ok to get the whereabouts....like to visit.

Jeff

jmaul

If you take Rt.70, turn east on Rt.530 to Whiting, when you reach Station Road make a right hand turn, where Station Road passes the electric company on the left hand side, it is just in the woods to the right of it. Do not go in where the no trespassing signs are.

Jim

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've always wondered about the long narrow ruin myself. I would have liked to have said that it was a sawmill but I have no evidence of that at all. It doesn't seem practical to have been used as a house.

CRW_0452.jpg

CRW_0453.jpg

CRW_0458.jpg

CRW_0454.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
A long narrow building with a fireplace at one end. Is it near a sawmill? Could it possibly have been some type of kiln for drying out the lumber?