Who owns your photo's?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Corporations have run amok and seem to be get away with breaking laws left and right.
It's part of the reason I never upload full resolution photos, usually scale them down significantly.
If it's "OK" for Virgin Mobile Australia to use this girl's picture, then it should also be OK to download music for free too.
But that's not the way it is. The laws are enforced only on the commoner, the corporations can break the law and get away with it.
Until we get people elected in Washington who will actually uphold laws, expect more of the same. Hopefully folks in the democratic republics of the world will push for change, otherwise we are headed for a world controlled by the rich corporate elite.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
hmmm, interesting. I wouldn't care if a photo of mine, one of public land, that I made available on the internet was used by someone else. However, photos of people seem different. I thought it was illegal to use someones likeness without their permission, and it kind of seems like it should be illegal. Photos of public land however...well it is public land and it is just a photo. Doesn't seem like much of a big deal. Of course, what if that photo is presented in such a way as to be art? I don't know, I guess we just have to be careful what we post.

Jeff

Basically the way that the photographer posted the image on flickr was under a sharing licence from Creative Commons that allows others to reuse work such as photos without violating copyright laws, if they credit the photographer and say where the photo was taken. If you look at the bottom of the ad, they do credit the photographer and flickr.
What they didn't have is a model release from the girl in the picture, hence the lawsuit.

Personally, I watermark everything I upload as well as right-click protect the images.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Somewhat related, I've had a few people suggest I make some of my pics available for online stock photography. Does anyone else do this and do you think it's worthwhile? I really could use the extra money but don't want it causing problems down the road. I'm thinking about it but am hoping to hear feedback before I begin sorting photos.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Don't they usually require 10+MP for stock photography as well as DSLR's?
I really don't know why, I don't see much more of an improvement going over 5MP.
I'd love to get into stock photography, but I think it's pretty expensive. I could be wrong...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Somewhat related, I've had a few people suggest I make some of my pics available for online stock photography. Does anyone else do this and do you think it's worthwhile? I really could use the extra money but don't want it causing problems down the road. I'm thinking about it but am hoping to hear feedback before I begin sorting photos.

I'll give you a bit of feedback Stu (since you asked). While I too think the grave at Red Oak Grove is poignant and interesting, I think that your decision to commercialize it may hasten its demise. Is this a decision you struggled with prior to developing a poster and notepad cover that utilized the photo that you took of it? If the answer is yes, then why try to sell photo's of other fragile artifacts that we all hold dear as legendary and loving features of the pines we know and love?

I'll give you a bit of feedback Stu (since you asked). While I too think the grave at Red Oak Grove is poignant and interesting, I think that your decision to commercialize it may hasten its demise. Is this a decision you struggled with prior to developing a poster and notepad cover that utilized the photo that you took of it? If the answer is yes, then why try to sell photo's of other fragile artifacts that we all hold dear as legendary and loving features of the pines we know and love?

IMHO there is no harm done with his selling the photo. The location is not given.

Steve

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com

First off that was not one of the stock photos I had in mind; what I was going to do is barely site-related - landscapes, nature shots, etc.

As for the grave, I fail to see how a picture, which has been in my seldom-looked at, crappy little CafePress shop for about a year now, with no description or hint of where it is, and by the way which has not even been bought, is going to to do much of anything. That's just asinine. And also unrelated to the topic.
By that logic, my book, along with any other related book and websites, including this one, should have the wrecking balls coming in droves.

Then again, you think a small plastic container is more damaging to "legendary and loving features" than the inches of broken glass, paintballs, and other garbage accumulated due to years of partying at said locations.

I asked for some information about stock photography, not a blatant attack about something off topic.

Thanks though.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Then again, you think a small plastic container is more damaging to "legendary and loving features" than the inches of broken glass, paintballs, and other garbage accumulated due to years of partying at said locations.

I do? Who told you that?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
By that logic, my book, along with any other related book and websites, including this one, should have the wrecking balls coming in droves.

IMHO, this site is responsible for the demise of Ace Campground and the increased traffic to the aforementioned grave.

It's something that hangs quite heavy over my head.

While I may not agree with using someones grave as a vehicle to make money (although, with CafePress I know it's peanuts) I don't think it's going to endanger the stone any more than it already has been.

At this point what should happen is the state should do something to preserve it. Because it's only going to take one jerk (and there are plenty of them out there) to come along and just pluck the pieces out of the ground, and the grave will be gone forever.