Who/what would you be?

OK, this is a little goofy but I was just wondering.

If you where alive 100 or 200 years ago and lived in the Pine Barrens, what do you think your occupation might have been. To help you out, here is a neat site that lists occupations of days gone by.

http://sharp.rootsweb.com/occupations.htm

I think I would liked to have been a great land baron but probably would have been a Joyner or a Cooper or something else that deals with wood.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I bet Ben will say he would be the Brewster! :beer:

Considering my occupation today I guess I would have to be the Brightsmith. But I wouldn't like it Or a Turner, but I wouldn't like that either :bang: :rolleyes:

Guy

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
OK, this is a little goofy but I was just wondering.

If you where alive 100 or 200 years ago and lived in the Pine Barrens, what do you think your occupation might have been. To help you out, here is a neat site that lists occupations of days gone by.

http://sharp.rootsweb.com/occupations.htm

I think I would liked to have been a great land baron but probably would have been a Joyner or a Cooper or something else that deals with wood.

I would have been Dr. James Still's female counterpart (a "leech"---ugh : --though I would have used more herbs than leeches, lol!), and probably dueled with Sammy Giberson on Saturday nights :parry:

Renee

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
Time travelling

We Gibersons around the Nacote creek were cutting down every red and white cedar in sight, so I guess I would have been a sawyer and mill-operator. But we farmed, fished, and dug clams as well.
The early settlers in New jersey who found themselves living in the Mullica River Basin were truly blessed. No one ever starved or wanted for a warm fire and a roof over their heads in this place of abundance.

BK

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
Wow! A seven year old post revived.

Guy

Give me a break. I had to make my initial post somewhere, and this thread grabbed my attention.
My 7th great grandmother was Mother Leeds, so watch out! :ghost:

BK

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We Gibersons around the Nacote creek were cutting down every red and white cedar in sight, so I guess I would have been a sawyer and mill-operator. BK

Hi BK....any Giberson is a friend of mine. Is Fiddlin' Sammy a kin of your'n?

I love that Nacote Creek area. It is tucked away nice and neat, and Port Republic is a beautiful little place. I was down there last summer poking around 575 and the bridge on the south side.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
A worthy first post if I ever saw one. Welcome.

We Gibersons around the Nacote creek were cutting down every red and white cedar in sight, so I guess I would have been a sawyer and mill-operator. But we farmed, fished, and dug clams as well.
The early settlers in New jersey who found themselves living in the Mullica River Basin were truly blessed. No one ever starved or wanted for a warm fire and a roof over their heads in this place of abundance.

BK

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
considering what i do i wouldve been a metal worker , or possably carpenter , although hooker sounds like a occupation hahahah

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
Sammy the fiddler

Hi BK....any Giberson is a friend of mine. Is Fiddlin' Sammy a kin of your'n?

Actually I'd have to say yes, as all Gibersons are descended from one man, who, oddly enough, wasn't a Giberson at'all. Samuel was a common name at the time old Sammy was 'a fiddlin' in the pale moon light out there under the pines. I haven't tried to work it out yet, but he's probably from the Monmouth or Burlington/Ocean County branch of the family like William the Tory, rather than the Old Gloucester branch - which I belong to; all us Gibersons South of the Mullica. You know, the ones who 'weren't' Tories.

I love that Nacote Creek area. It is tucked away nice and neat, and Port Republic is a beautiful little place. I was down there last summer poking around 575 and the bridge on the south side.

Yes, Port is an Amasing place. It is one of the oldest settlements in South Jersey, yet it has remained largely as it was 300 years ago. But we did get 'lectricity and paved roads in the 1930s. Oh, and indoor plumbing! running water is great! We're also proud of our heritage. We have preserved the land upon which the Battle of Chestnut Neck occurred, in contrast to the people of Tuckerton, who built a condominium complex upon the graves of 50 massacred patriots.

BK

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Give me a break. I had to make my initial post somewhere, and this thread grabbed my attention.
My 7th great grandmother was Mother Leeds, so watch out! :ghost:

BK

I was not complaining, just surprised at how old it was. I am glad to see you used the search feature or dug deep into the posts to find it.

Guy

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
I was not complaining, just surprised at how old it was. I am glad to see you used the search feature or dug deep into the posts to find it.

Guy

I would probably have commented on the post's vintage as well. Sometimes you don't realise how old a thread is while you're posting a message. But I'm glad I posted in this thread because, as a result, I've made an interesting contact up in Ocean County.

BK