Why I can't open topo map zip files

J

JeffD

I just found out why I couldn't open the zip topo map files I downloaded. I also couldn't open a compressed folder I had created some time ago. I turns out I didn't have my compressed file function installed. I thought at first that somehow the checkmark next to my compressed folders on my system tools got unchecked. I checked it again, saw that now two tools were activated (which would include the compressed folder option) tried to open the zip/compressed files, but couldn't. I returned to the system tools only to find that the compressed folder option was unchecked again. I clicked to make a check mark on the compressed folders option again. And again it said that two options were activated. I then realized that I also had to check and "OK" further down. A message came up that Windows couldn't find some kind of a file Windows needed to copy to activate the compressed foler option, and that file may be on the Windows ME disk or with the computer or something.

J

JeffD

I finally stopped by the local computer shop where I had the problem with my operating system remedied to see if someone there could enable me to open zip files I downloaded. I placed the computer on the desk, and in a minute or two a technition fixed the problem. In Windows ME, the compressed file function is not installed by default. You have to install it. The technition said that when I tried to install the compressed files program from the Windows Me the system was directed to the hard drive when it looked for the file to download. He simply directed it to the Windows CD rom. I had a feeling it was something simple. Now I can download the topo maps from this site. Zip files are good because they save space, and are really not any harder to view. :D :clap:

J

JeffD

I know. And I knew it once you said you changed nothing and Guy said it worked for him. I just had to check everything.