Wilderness Camping

Discussion in 'Recreation' started by 4x4Jim, Jan 26, 2006.

1. woodjin

woodjin Piney

Why would it be illegal to sleep in the back of your truck. I didn't realize that was illegal. I think the state just makes up laws for the Hell of it sometimes. Law # 351; It is illegal to turn right more than three times in the State forest.
    Hmmm...no wonder this state is so rich $!

2. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

don't we have one of the largest budget defecits in history now?

3. woodjin

woodjin Piney

The state does? I didn't know that. Clearly we need more laws for additional revenue. LOL

4. Piney Boy

Piney Boy Explorer

Don't know the exact reasoning with the State of NJ, but with National Park Service holdings car sleeping is illegal because of the occasional suicide and drug related issues that sometimes pop up with this. Perhaps its the same with the state, but I'm not sure.

5. woodjin

woodjin Piney

Thanks for the clarification Piney Boy. It seems to me that if you are going to commit suicide, a fine for staying in your car overnight is probably not going to be much of a deterrent. They would have a Hell of a time collecting that fine for one thing. Piney Boy, I know you don't make up these laws and I appreciate you explaining the National position on this.

When I was a part-time ranger at a county park we had an attempted suicide by someone locking themself in their car and overdosing on sleeping pills. We had human remains in a garbage bag, and an escaped mental patient from a maximum security institution wondering around. I was also a witness in a missing person/ later to be murder case. It is amazing some of the stuff I saw there. Weird deviant sexual behavior, not so deviant sexual behavior :) Vandalism, drug abuse. People are strange.

Jeff

6. virginiapiney

virginiapiney New Member

just west of the basto railroad bridge

7. onehand

onehand Explorer

??, i know of a RR bridge very close to an intersection known to some as "batsto station" not that it's close to Batsto just to a road that goes in that direction (Hey road), maybe there was a hotel/water hole there at one time. i hike through that area frequently , but is closer to hampton furnance

gps coords n39 45.404 w074 40.510

8. Piney Boy

Piney Boy Explorer

9. NewSchoolPiney

NewSchoolPiney Explorer

Hey all,

Sorry for not getting back to you. The fine for illegal camping/having an illegal campfire is $70 (they told us $50). The fine for having alcoholic beverages in a a state forest (we had two empty bottles of wine in trash bags) is $70 (again they told us it would only be $50).

So, $140 divided by about 30 times doing this over the past 4 to 5 years, I'd gladly fork over the $4 per night to be able to responsibly camp where I want.

I also apologize for the 'wilderness all being gone' quote, but I just see everything being diced up so much that the contiguous forest cover and natural ecosystem seems to be slowly creeping in on itself.

BTW Pray for 2 feet of snow today. My friends and I will be out sledding at Jemima Mount I think either later today or tomorrow.

Peace,

J

10. smadigan

smadigan New Member

Many times I have stealth camped in the pines and never been bothered. If you go in the winter in a section that is at least a mile from a road in any direction there is not a ranger alive that is going to spend his energy getting to you.

Sean:)

11. grendel

grendel Explorer

just what is the legal deffinition of camping anyway?

12. Jason Bladzinski

Jason Bladzinski Explorer

The mullica camp is about 4 miles from Batsto, not 7

13. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

I think you win Jason, for the longest time to develop an answer to a post.

Boyd likes this.
  14. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

I think sleeping on the spot would be the definition

15. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

It's been 7 years and 44 weeks since Piney Boy last signed onto the site.

Glenn Walters likes this.