Wilderness campsites/cabins at Wharton...

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Can anybody tell me a little bit about either of these? I'm considering either renting one of the cabins (4 person) or reserving a wilderness site for 2 or 3 days this summer. My girlfriend is going to London to study for two months so I thought it would be nice for us and some friends of ours to take a short trip before she leaves. Now she is a little better at "roughing" it than most girls since she's from Sussex county and did some camping up at Stokes now and then as a kid, but I don't know if I can sell her on a true wilderness site for 3 days. Anyway, first what are the cabins like? Are they close together or are you in your own little area? Are they right on the shoreline of the lake? I'm pretty sure I read that they are only accessible by canoe or backpack-I would prefer to canoe since I have a fairly good size canoe ('17) that can hold a decent amount of gear. The only concern I have is distance-how far of a paddle is it across the lake? Also, is swimming at your own risk permitted?

I'd also like to find out more about the wilderness sites. I read that Mullica River has pit toilets and fresh water so I might be able to sell her on that one. Has anyone spent any time there? If so is that one secluded or will there be troops of boy scouts and such sitting right on top of us? How far of a paddle is it? Are there any other campsites that are highly recommended? Basically I just want to stay away from the sites with vehicle access so I don't have to sit next to some guy in an RV blaring music and "cooking out" on a George Forman grill...lol

Thanks,

Matthew

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/wharton.html

Atsion campsites: 50 tent and trailer sites with fire rings and picnic tables. Potable water, flush toilets and showers are within walking distance. Ground fires are not permitted during the day. Trailer sanitary station open March 1 through November 30. Campsites open April 1 through December 31. $15 per night.

Godfrey Bridge: 49 tent and trailer sites (21 feet or less), water, picnic tables, fire rings, pit toilets. Ground fires are not permitted during the day. Trailers may use trailer sanitary station at Atsion. Campsites open all year. $15 per night.

Wilderness campsites: (group, individual, and family) Bodine Field, Hawkins Bridge, Batona Campsite, Mullica River Wilderness Campsite, and Goshen Pond have hand pumps for water and pit toilets. Buttonwood Hill and Lower Forge sites have no water. Mullica River and Lower Forge are wilderness sites, access by hiking, canoeing or by horseback; motor vehicles are not permitted. All other areas are accessible by motor vehicles. Ground fires not permitted during the day. Campsite capacities vary from 50-250 persons.
Wilderness Campsites: $1 per person per night

Cabins: Nine furnished cabins with screened porch, fireplace, refrigerator, hot and cold running water; bathroom with toilet and shower; 2 bunks. Accommodates 4 people. Two cabins are designed for people with disabilities and each accommodates 6 people. One cabin accommodates 8 people. Cabins are located on Atsion Lake. Open April 1 through October 31.
Cabin, Four People: $40 per night, $280 per week.
Cabin, Six People: $60 per night, $420 per week
Cabin, Eight People: $80 per night, $560 per week
Boating/Canoeing

---

The Atsion campground is accessible by car and no, you don't need to canoe or backpack to get to the cabins. The cabins are for the namby pamby city slickers who think that "roughing it" means no Oprah for a few days. The Atsion recreation area can get quite busy during the summer.

The only two true "wilderness" campsites are Lower Forge and the Mullica River site. These are accessible only by hiking only. The other sites (Bodine Field, Hawkins Bridge, Batona Campsite, Buttonwood Hill and Goshen) you can drive to.

You might find some of the drive up campsites a good comprimise for your girlfriend. Bodine Field would be nice if you wanted to explore Harrisville and Martha, plus you can swim at Harrisville Lake.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Ben provided all the information, just wanted to add:

If you decide to go to the wilderness campsites (lower forge,which is on the basto, or Mullica) and decide to get there via canoe you have several options. Instead of listing your options here let me recommend a book which gives great river details and put in/ pull out points: the book is called Canoeing the Jersey Pine Barrens by Robert Parnes. I suspect it is still in print and well worth the $10 to $15 bucks. I stayed at the Atsion cabins, and while I prefer to rough it, I must admit the stay was nice. Atsion Lake is beutiful, you do have some privacy between the cabins and women find it extremely comfortable (my wife did anyway). It is not really camping though.

Best of luck,

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I backpacked in to the Lower Forge wilderness site in May of 1979. We left our trucks at Batsto which is about a 6-7 mile hike to Lower Forge.
It was nice and we didn't see another soul going in or while we were there because we went during the week.
We drank the river water for two days and didn't have any problems but I am just a little smarter now. I think I would boil it first.
A buddy of mine got Beaver Fever (giardia sp?) from drinking untreated water before (not in the Pines) and it was pretty rough.
Lower Forge provided a "wilderness" experience without having to travel more than 20 miles from where I lived at the time. It's even closer now.
The Mullica River primitive site is nice too and would be a little shorter hike from Batsto or Pleasant Mills than Lower Forge.
Scott

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
I've camped/hiked the Mullica River Trail (which is the Yellow marked trail starting at the Atsion Ranger Station) twice in the past year. The halfway point is the wilderness campsite called the 'Mullica River Campsite.' The funny part is, even though they say no cars, anyone with a park map and common sense can figure out how to drive up Quaker Bridge Rd. to where the trail to the campsite leads. There, a sign says "No Motor Vehicles" yet you only have to walk 10 minutes from there.

It's a nice site but you do get heavy canoe crowds in the summer. Last time hiked the trail during an apparent boy scout overnight canoe trip.

I had a rant a while back about these "Wildnerness" campsites and I believe they're all a total crock. You can do the same thing at Lower Forge (park close, minimal walk).

If you want a true, wilderness camping experience, in my honest opinion, do some research on the NJGIS website by examining some aerial photos laid over the topos and NJDOT roads (they actually have most of the Pinelands dirt roads marked as opposed to GDT). Find a secluded place and go there.

I'd rather get caught and fined (has happened before, it's $70 unless you have alcohol then it's $140, still worth it) by the rangers than camp next to 30 families who use excessive fuels to power "camping" equipment like DVD players, margarita blenders, etc to achieve that "indoors, out-of-doors modern camp-like experience."

Sorry for the rant again . . .

Peace,

Justin

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
NewSchoolPiney said:
I'd rather get caught and fined (has happened before, it's $70 unless you have alcohol then it's $140, still worth it) by the rangers than camp next to 30 families who use excessive fuels to power "camping" equipment like DVD players, margarita blenders, etc to achieve that "indoors, out-of-doors modern camp-like experience."

I've thought about that before...I actually checked out terraserver and looked at the area around Lake Success in Colliers Mills WMA because I wanted to see if there was a way around it. With the way people talk about the parks being understaffed I'm sure the WMAs are even moreso, especially when it's not hunting season. There's a long road that snakes around the lake and runs through the woods out to another highway. I'm sure there are plenty of decent spots out there. I guess if I did get caught I could consider the ticket a $70 "fee" lol. Of course I wonder how many rangers really are out there and how/when they patrol the areas. I can honestly say of all the times I went out there the only other souls I ever saw were hunters, military personnel (when I wandered into Lakehurst from time to time), and other people just exploring and doing whatever. The only time I ever saw the ranger vehicles were parked in front of the trailers up by the front lake. Maybe I'll have to make a scouting trip soon...my buddy Jon owes me a favor for helping him fix the front hubs on his F250.

Later,

Matthew

deegee

Nov 2, 2008
Bad idea to camp in NJ at all

I would simply suggest finding a better state than NJ to camp.
I grew up in Burlington County. I got out of there as soon as I could. I've lived in NC and now have a home in TN.
If you like the outdoors, get out of NJ. Get away from the overzealous cops, the ruffians who will vandalize your vehicle and steal from you, and the generally disrespectful culture you will encounter in the woods there.
I have spoken.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
and the generally disrespectful culture

Uh... like people who come out of nowhere and insult the members of a community with their first post on a website maybe? Also, did you notice that the thread you've just replied to is more than three years old?

Next time I'm looking for some "respect" I'll remember to visit Tennessee...