Windmill at Atsion--Why?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jerseyman has this map in his photo folder. Why would Atsion need a windmill with all that water around? I'll bet the water was forcing itself out of the ground back then, begging to be used. And why near the tracks like that?

watermark.php

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
My guess would be to fill a storage tank with water for the trains. Or the owners were from Holland, any evidence of Tulips or wooden shoes?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
My guess would be to fill a storage tank with water for the trains.

Probably not too far off on that one, given the proximity. If not pumping from a well, perhaps a conduit system from nearby water. You would be somewhat at the mercy of the elements as to when said filling could be done. I imagine in 1876 the land might have been a good deal more cleared and good winds prevailed unhindered? If nothing else, would there be any mention of this in any deeds or paperwork of the time related to the town, operation, or even the railway? Jerseyman?

g.

Bob:

I thought I heard someone rooting around in my forums folder—and it was you!!

Oji and George have it exactly right. This would be the type of windmill you would see out on the prairie and the railroad used it to fill the watertank that sat immediately north of the station. If you had rooted around a little more, you would have found this image:

Atsion_Tank.jpg

with Atsion’s station agent, J.L. Etheridge, sitting on the tank. This is the tank the windmill filled. As I recall, the windmill only remained there into the late 1880s, but I would have to find a citation for that information for verification.

If you continue rooting around and find any other mysteries, just let me know and I will be happy to respond.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I'm Actually interested in the grave yard that is slightly south of Atsion lake !!!!!
I wonder if there are still remnants left of it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm Actually interested in the grave yard that is slightly south of Atsion lake !!!!!
I wonder if there are still remnants left of it.

You mean the one near the bathrooms and parking area??

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Is it situated right there that close , i was wondering about that .I'll have to walk up thet old rail line and and cut in as long as i can get past the flooded part .

Thanks Jerseyman. I'll take that job of stationmaster. I want that porkpie hat!

Bob:

Although that may look like a porkpie hat, it is actually headgear very similar to what NJTrainset conductors still wear today, only J.L. has his white summer cover on it.

Besides, I think you’ll find the porkpie fits better in the discussion or thread titled “Cheap Computer.” Just ask pinelandpaddler!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

jejennings

Dec 4, 2009
Sicklerville, NJ
J.L. Etheridge

Bob:

Oji and George have it exactly right. This would be the type of windmill you would see out on the prairie and the railroad used it to fill the watertank that sat immediately north of the station. If you had rooted around a little more, you would have found this image:

Atsion_Tank.jpg

with Atsion’s station agent, J.L. Etheridge, sitting on the tank. This is the tank the windmill filled. As I recall, the windmill only remained there into the late 1880s, but I would have to find a citation for that information for verification.

Mr. Etheridge was also caretaker of the Mansion (and perhaps the entire estate). He was a friend of my farther's family. I have two 60 foot plus white pines form the Atsion Mansion grounds that Mr. Etheridge gave my father as seedlineg in the 1920's.

Mr. Etheridge was also caretaker of the Mansion (and perhaps the entire estate). He was a friend of my farther's family. I have two 60 foot plus white pines form the Atsion Mansion grounds that Mr. Etheridge gave my father as seedlineg in the 1920's.

jejennings:

Welcome to the forums and I’m glad to see you jumped right in and posted a couple of messages!

The J.L. Etheridge I mention in my post is actually the son of Mr. Wharton’s Atsion-based caretaker, Andrew Etheridge. J.L.’s daughter, Ruth May Gerber, still resides in the Medford area. J.L. hired on with the Central Railroad of New Jersey early in his life and was on duty at Chatsworth that fateful day in August 1939 when The Blue Comet derailed just outside of town.

The white pine trees sound absolutely glorious!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I do not know where to post this but if this Mr. Etheridge died around 1956, it might be the man that my father, Lewis J. Tassone, often spoke about and he took my young sister to see the man when he was on his death bed there in Atsion.

J.L. Etheridge

Bob:

Atsion_Tank.jpg

If you continue rooting around and find any other mysteries, just let me know and I will be happy to respond.

Best regards,
Jerseyman