Winter weather forecast

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There was a high wind warning in effect from 11pm last night until 7am this morning. Went to bed early and didn't hear any strong winds overnight. Pretty calm here this morning now. Looks like another nice, warm day today and then a big cool-down ahead.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was just raining fairly hard here for a few minutes but has already stopped.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Dropped down to 18 degrees at my place last night. How do you like that, you ticks and chiggers?!! :D
Far fewer ticks is one of the best things about winter, and true, the cold keeps them mostly inactive, but unfortunately I don't think it really ever gets cold enough here to actually kill a lot of them.

In lab conditions, ticks start to die at temperatures less than 14°F, but in the wild they have been shown to overwinter at temperatures below -2°F, by using leaf litter and snow as insulation. They can also generate a cryoprotectant when they're in diapause (hibernation). Some ticks also survive by remaining attached to animals.

In practice it would probably take three or four days with temperatures at -10°F or colder to really put a big dent in tick populations. Or alternatively, they can be killed by periods of warm weather that trick them into venturing out, followed by a sudden and severe cold snap.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Significant storm coming our way Thursday, but looks to be mostly rain for the Pines (and I am in the heaviest zone!)

snow.png

rain.png

Event Summary

A coastal storm is expected to bring multiple impacts to the region starting Thursday morning and persisting through Friday

• Precipitation is expected to begin as a light wintry mix near the I-95 corridor and possibly into the eastern shore of Maryland and Delaware near daybreak Thursday before switching to rain by late Thursday morning. A light glaze of ice may occur in these areas, potentially impacting the Thursday morning commute

• Precipitation is expected to begin as all snow for areas northwest of I-95, but a transition to a wintry mix then rain will occur during the afternoon to evening. Snow will transition to a wintry mix then rain in the southern Poconos overnight Thursday night

• The greatest snowfall totals are expected to be across the southern Poconos with amounts of 3-7” possible, however snowfall around 1-3” is forecast for the northwest New Jersey, the Lehigh Valley, and Berks County. A light glaze of ice is also possible. This may impact the Thursday morning and Thursday evening commutes

• Storm total rainfall of 1-2” may lead to localized minor flooding in some areas

• East to northeast winds of 15-25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph inland and 20-30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph possible along the Atlantic coasts Thursday afternoon through Friday morning. Gale force winds are possible across all Atlantic coastal waters and Delaware Bay

• Minor coastal flooding is anticipated to impact the high tides from Thursday afternoon through Friday afternoon, mainly for the Atlantic coasts and western Delaware Bay coast

Reactions: SuperChooch

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This one looks similar to the last one, but then the deep freeze comes!

rain.png

wind.png

✔ Periods of rain will begin Thursday and continue through midday Friday. The rain may be heavy at times. Storm total rainfall of 1-3” with locally higher amounts may lead to minor flooding in some areas. Precipitation is expected to remain as mostly rain, although some light mixed precipitation is possible at the start northwest of I-95, and light flurries or snow showers are possible Friday afternoon as the rain ends. No significant snow or ice accumulation is expected.

✔ South winds will increase to 20-30 mph late Thursday night. Gusts around 40-50 mph are expected Friday through Friday night area-wide as a strong cold front passes through the area. Right along the cold front as it moves through on Friday, a narrow squall line could develop bringing localized wind gusts up to 60 mph. These winds could lead to downed trees and power outages. Also, the passage of the front will bring a very sharp drop in temperatures leading to a quick freezing of any wet surfaces. This could create very icy conditions with potentially hazardous travel.

✔ Gale force winds are expected across all Atlantic coastal waters and Delaware Bay Thursday night through Friday night. Seas building to 9-14 feet.

✔ Widespread minor coastal flooding is expected to impact the high tides Friday morning and afternoon for the Atlantic coasts of New Jersey and Delaware, as well as the Delaware Bay coasts and tidal Delaware River. Moderate coastal flooding is expected for the coastal areas of Monmouth and Middlesex Counties in New Jersey, and spotty moderate coastal flooding may occur elsewhere in Atlantic coastal New Jersey.

✔ Dangerously cold wind chills as low as -20°F to 0° will develop for Friday night and Saturday night. The coldest wind chills will occur across the Pocono Plateau. Impacts may be exacerbated if power outages from the winds occur and these impacts last into the weekend.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was 55 at 5AM this morning here and it is now 46. It went down quick earlier but has slowed recently.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Raining hard now and thunder with wind. It is coming! Still 45 degrees.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Temperature has held steady at 46 degrees all morning here. I went out at 10:15 to wander around the woods out back and "experience" the arrival of the front. It was quite beautiful then, wind was blowing but not bad, light occasional sprinkles and the sun was peeking through the clouds every now and then. Started raining a bit harder so I sheltered in the cedars near the creek for awhile. Wind started to pick up and sky was darkening so I started working my way back home. Suddenly the wind really picked up and sleet began pounding down. Jogged the rest of the way home, got there at 10:55!

The sleet only lasted a short while, then turned back to rain which is lightly falling now.

Last edited: