WMAs closing areas

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Fish and Wildife boned quite a few people who had a D permit for turkey by announcing an immediate closure on the 25th. Hunters lost 4 days out of a 10 day permit if they hunted any of those WMA's. The D permit is popular because you can hunt until nightfall which gives you the ability to get out after work. I filled my D tag this year after work for the first time.

I would be very pissed off if I lost 40% of my allotted hunting days because of the closure. It is even more disappointing because hunting and fishing license and permit fees provide the largest chunk of funding for WMA's.

Last edited:

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Here is an example of a posting sign that was sent to me, I think this is in Greenwood or possibly FRM. Its also not a DEP sign so I'm guessing this is FRM The sign reads a lot different than the info on the DEP site
DEP info reads: six localized areas are being closed to public access
Sign reads: No ATVs, ORVs, Motor Vehicles, Fires, Swimming.
That seems like a big difference to me, and looks like it will lead to confusion and LEO discretion as to if you can be on one of the bordering roads or not.

Attachments

• NO.png
    NO.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 190

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
If that sign is in FRM then it includes all the land within the newly created OC park or just the top of the FRM? What's most disturbing is "motor vehicles" include Jeeps, pickups any and all road legal vehicles. Does this mean access is only by foot, horse or bicycle? Since there is no time constraint as in the WMA areas, I assume it is 24/7/364? Is this the plan to manage public land with public funds? I see this going over bigger than a ripping fart in church! More info is needed on this as to what and where the sign is referring to.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I don't know how old or its exact placement but I am guessing its FRM since it is an Ocean County sign and not a DEP sign. I will see if I can get more info. It was sent to me by text this AM. The WMA closures are supposed to cease in September according to the DEP site.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was there this past weekend and the signs were not there. So unless they are new since Sunday they are not near the mountain or the road in from 539.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am pretty certain Ocean County is going to stop motor vehicles from using their property. They don't allow at other locations so it is a good bet the same is true here. They may allow you to drive to a parking area. We shall see.

With that said, they never will stop vehicles from entering. That property is way too large. The maze of motorcycle and now ATV trails have been established.

Reactions: WaretownMike

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If they don't have man power to patrol it when it's open they don't have man power to patrol it when it's closed. I have relatives that live right next to it so I can park there and walk in.As far as swimming I know places just as good that are far less frequented and less trashed. I walk the crik there more then anything,if your chest deep standing in a crik are you technically swimming?

Reactions: MuckSavage

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If they don't have man power to patrol it when it's open they don't have man power to patrol it when it's closed. I have relatives that live right next to it so I can park there and walk in.As far as swimming I know places just as good that are far less frequented and less trashed. I walk the crik there more then anything,if your chest deep standing in a crik are you technically swimming?
They never will find you when arrowhead hunting. No CO would even go there.

• Love
Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I heard old Johnny Parker at a township meeting once say "I don't know why all you people are upset about the sand mines....we are going to leave you beautiful lakes for swimming". Uh, no, he didn't, I think in fact he quickly sold to the state. I thought it was a wrong move. I'm for more commercial and/or state swimming areas in the pines. You know, the regulated kind. Here's where the young people swim off Lacey Road (I'm pretty sure).

1622337746141.png

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Here is an example of a posting sign that was sent to me, I think this is in Greenwood or possibly FRM. Its also not a DEP sign so I'm guessing this is FRM The sign reads a lot different than the info on the DEP site
DEP info reads: six localized areas are being closed to public access
Sign reads: No ATVs, ORVs, Motor Vehicles, Fires, Swimming.
That seems like a big difference to me, and looks like it will lead to confusion and LEO discretion as to if you can be on one of the bordering roads or not.
These signs are all along Lacey Rd where the OC property is. However once you are on the property there are no other ones I am aware of it. Even off of the railroad or if you come in from the Bryant there are no signs

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I heard old Johnny Parker at a township meeting once say "I don't know why all you people are upset about the sand mines....we are going to leave you beautiful lakes for swimming". Uh, no, he didn't, I think in fact he quickly sold to the state. I thought it was a wrong move. I'm for more commercial and/or state swimming areas in the pines. You know, the regulated kind. Here's where the young people swim off Lacey Road (I'm pretty sure).

View attachment 15590
Swimming and fishing are popular in the second pit. For some reason when the state bought it the gate was always closed and limited driving back there. It stayed pretty clean. The first pit was closed for ever, the state bought it and opened up for vehicle access. There are fish in there too and driving in was very convenient, but people started leaving and dumping garbage so the state locked the gate in the fall. Now no one can go back there. Some people suck and ruin everything!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I don't need regulations to swim.I actually know how and if I drown I think it would actually be my fault and not the states so there should be no lawsuit.I used to piss the life gaurds at Union lake off when I was a teenager. If you went past the first sand bar they would whistle you back in and if you didn't come back they'd ban you from the beach so I would walk to the bluffs and swim the half mile back to the beach and they would raise holy hell as I"d walk out of the water,cross the beach and walk across the ball field to my house.Not a person up there was more then five years older then me and no doubt most of em couldn't swim that far. I was not their favorite person,I think it was the smirk as I walked by them.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I don't need regulations to swim.I actually know how and if I drown I think it would actually be my fault and not the states so there should be no lawsuit.I used to piss the life gaurds at Union lake off when I was a teenager. If you went past the first sand bar they would whistle you back in and if you didn't come back they'd ban you from the beach so I would walk to the bluffs and swim the half mile back to the beach and they would raise holy hell as I"d walk out of the water,cross the beach and walk across the ball field to my house.Not a person up there was more then five years older then me and no doubt most of em couldn't swim that far. I was not their favorite person,I think it was the smirk as I walked by them.
Hey Menantico they shut you down man! Tell me you ain't gonna take it laying down! If they run you outta your crik your always welcome to come over to Manumuskin, I ain't got as much water but i am longer.,

Reactions: mowergod
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I don't think we or anyone else need to government to protect us from ourselves.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I don't think we or anyone else need to government to protect us from ourselves.

Funny how they don';t have the manpower to patrol the wma's but that have enough to have two patrol cars with officers setting in front of Menantico to keep people out. Probably one of the few times I ever got to walk through Menantico without seeing anyone .Thanks guys!

Reactions: RednekF350

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002