Wolf in Voorhees

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I would like to let you all know that our "Voorhees wolfdog", a very gentle female, was recently captured in a humane way. She was immediately transferred to a vet hospital where she is treated for the Lyme disease. Next, she was transported to the Howling Woods Farm (howlingwoods.org). where she will have a company of fellow wolfdogs. She was named Duchess for falling in love with our black lab Duke.

Thats great news! Let me run something by you: One week ago I was working 3rd shift at a residence on Penn Road in Voorhees. This residence is close to Rt 561 near the Voorhees/Gibbsboro/Berlin area. I was down in the basement working on a computer when a co-worker called me upstairs. She told me two large dogs came up the ramp in the backyard right up to the glass sniffing around and when she walked over to the door they just casually trotted away. I went outside but they were long gone. She described them as one black and one lighter, larger than most dogs. Could this of been the same dog?

Andrew

Jan 22, 2009
This was about 1:30am when they were spotted.
I do not think so. She showed up alone in our area just before Christmas. At first we contacted our local police and an animal control officer. Back then they mentioned about 2 dogs running together but I do not think that she was a part of this duo. She spent nights (even those very cold!) near our backyard then, in the morning she was moving to nearby woods, and then she was back at evening to play with my dog. She always was friendly, never demonstrated aggression but at the same time she never allowed to be closely approached. An animal officer set a trap but she was so smart that she never got close to it. According to an officer they tried to catch her since October, 2008.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks for posting Andrew. It is easy to get an idea of the size of that animal from the comparison to your lab. One big wolf dog. I'm glad the whole thing had a happy ending. Is there any idea as to the origins of this dog? Where it came from?

Jeff

Andrew

Jan 22, 2009
Thanks for posting Andrew. It is easy to get an idea of the size of that animal from the comparison to your lab. One big wolf dog. I'm glad the whole thing had a happy ending. Is there any idea as to the origins of this dog? Where it came from?

Jeff

According to local authorities, the wolfdog most likely originates from a breeder in some neighboring town. She clearly had previous contact with humans and other dogs. All evidence indicates that the dog was purposely abandoned.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I'll tell what that is one awesome looking dog. Do they breed wolf/dogs?

Glad it found a good home.

Sure do. Howling Woods in Jackson has quite a few of them as well as some pure bred wolves on their premises. They are remarkably beautiful animals. Id love to adopt one down the road, but you must have at least another dog or wolf-dog, a large area of property, and some have diets that require raw venison and chicken (some of the wolf-dogs can eat dog food). The fact that I havent had children yet, tells me I might want to wait before jumping the gun on an investment such as a wolf. Its nice to dream though. Maybe Ill rent White Fang tonight.