"wolf" killed near Whiting

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Several months back in Shamong there was a dead Huskie along the road. Locals thought it was a wolf. I would love to see this coyote/dog mix breed. Most likely in time, there will more of them around.
As far as English goes...people are always making fun of the way I speak, especially if they know I am finsihing up two years of college. And of course, now that I am getting older, I ponder if it is my "piney slang" or old age setting in. My feelings are, you don't like what I am saying...don't listen!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I could certainly see how a Husky could be mistaken for a wolf. They really are very similar. I saw a coydog (mix breed) only once. It was in Greenwood WMA. It had puppies with it, three to five as I recall. I didn't get a chance to get very close, but it was obviously not any kind of domestic breed, or mutt. It had a very long tail and very, very long legs, was dark in color, but otherwise looked like a coyote. I suppose the mixed breeds look very different based on what domestic dog was involved. I spoke to a ranger about it at Lebanon and she said they have had several reports of such animals.

When I was a kid. My neighbor down the street had dog that was 1/3 coyote, it was somewhat unpredictable and prone to violence with other dogs.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great article. Thanks for posting it. I have heard for years now that the Jersey coyotes were larger in size than their western counterparts. The grey wolf gene would explain that. Despite the potential problems associated with coyote populations, I can't help but like the idea that they're around, such amazing preditors. I can understand the conflict in more residential areas, but within the vastness of the Wharton to FRM areas their populations have remained relatively small, and I'm not aware of any conflicts.

I had a close encounter with a pure breed coyote in Hammonton once and it was a very exciting experience.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
This deer season was the first in about five years that I did not see one in the Poconos. First time I thought it was a 'lost' or feral Geman Shepard except is looked so big. Last year's was coal black w/ a small white strip...

bigfootmorf

Jan 8, 2006
Brownsmills
message for woodjin

If you live close to mountmisery road,you are in the heart of coyote and rattlesnake country.I live and hunt in this area,and mount misery road is infested with both!