"wolf" killed near Whiting

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I don't hunt myself but my brother in law, who lives up north, hunts in the pine barrens every year. Over Christmas I saw him and he was telling me about his trip this year. Of particular interest; he told me a nearby hunting club killed a wolf and had had it hanging with the deer in front of the club. Some of his relatives who he was hunting with witnessed this animal. I insisted that it had to be a coyote but he was told it was of considerable size. This got me thinking that it might have been a coydog (coyote/dog mix) that was 50% of a large dog of some sort (maybe a german shepard or husky).

I saw a coydog in greenwood WMA once. It had very long legs and a very long tail giving it a unique appearence. That was about four years ago. I know which gun club my brother in law was speaking of. I'm considering going to this club and seeing if I can obtain a photo of the animal. I imagine the carcass is gone now but maybe someone took a photo. I just have to figure out how to approach the situation. I'm not sure of the legality of coyote killing/hunting in the state so I'm not sure how freely the club members would be willing to share this info. I don't want to end up hanging along with the deer, know what I mean, ha, ha.

Jeff

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Any confirmation of repeated sightings of these guys? Coyote is one animal I'm aiming to photograh this winter . . . i've taken two hikes so far. There were plenty of prints at the watergap, but not enough snow to track them far.

I was at Double trouble on Monday and covered a few miles, but didn't find even one single coyote print.

-Bob

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bob,

I have to meet you one of these days. I'd love to find some wildlife to photograph. Unfortunately - with the exception of one Timber Rattler and a large Turkey Buzzard, I have never really seen any wildlife in the pines (besides deer.)

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
bruset said:
Bob,

I have to meet you one of these days. I'd love to find some wildlife to photograph. Unfortunately - with the exception of one Timber Rattler and a large Turkey Buzzard, I have never really seen any wildlife in the pines (besides deer.)

Thanks, Ben.

I just recently had this discussion with a buddy of mine . . . how its easy to tromp the pines endlessly and see NO wildlife.
Lets plan a trip this year . . . incorperate both our interests . . . it could be excellent.

-Bob

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wildlife sightings can be few and far between, but in the past twelve years I've stumbled across:

flock of swans in Lebanon Forest
red and grey foxes in Lebanon and Wharton Forests
cute fox kits in Lebanon who should have been more scared of me
an otter near Martha
a rattlesnake near Carranza

and of course the usual deer, squirrels, Canadian geese, ducks, hawks, buzzards, etc.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Bobbleton,
I think Bob posted an newpaper article sometime back about a coyote population along the edges of the Miller airfield out near Bamber. As I recall, the article stated that there was a pretty significant population there.

Other than that, I don't know of any area that claims to have a concentration of coyote, although the plains, near coyle field may have more than most other places.

There are still alot of fox in the Lebanon/bryne state forest. tons

Jeff

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
woodjin said:
Bobbleton,
I think Bob posted an newpaper article sometime back about a coyote population along the edges of the Miller airfield out near Bamber. As I recall, the article stated that there was a pretty significant population there.

Other than that, I don't know of any area that claims to have a concentration of coyote, although the plains, near coyle field may have more than most other places.

There are still alot of fox in the Lebanon/bryne state forest. tons

Jeff

Thanks. I'm familiar with the area, and if we ever get a significant snow, I'll check it out.

-Bob

crazyoz

Feb 21, 2005
Wall NJ
I know for a fact that in the woods of Wall Township there is a coyte population. Even though it is not the pines you can find them there. A good friend of mine has seen them in the area of the Wall Township Police station off rt 524

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
Bobbleton said:
Any confirmation of repeated sightings of these guys? Coyote is one animal I'm aiming to photograh this winter . . . i've taken two hikes so far. There were plenty of prints at the watergap, but not enough snow to track them far.

I was at Double trouble on Monday and covered a few miles, but didn't find even one single coyote print.

-Bob

We've actually had quite a few sightings down this way, and you'd never guess where--Cape May. One was seen recently in Lower Township again, and someone has actually gotten pictures in the past year or two. I know it's not the pines, but if it interests you...

Heather in SJ

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
woodjin said:
That is interesting. Actually, it doesn't surpise me that much. Coyotes are very adapable. Do you have the photos?

Jeff

I think I can dig 'em up if you were asking me about the photos :D (And yeah, if my English teachers could hear me now...:p)

Heather in SJ

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
Parts of Cape May itself are quite wooded, right before you get into Cape May City. I will post those pics as soon as possible :)

Heather in SJ