Wolfspider found the W.P. 1700 stone!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Update:

When I find or visit an interesting old incised stone I always wonder in the back of my mind if there are more just like it. My recent find of a new Black's stone is one example of there being more than one even if it was much smaller. Well, the same thoughts have pestered me and others concerning the existance of more WP1700 stones, and I can now tell you I know the answer to that question. There is at least one more WP1700 stone and Jessica and I found it this morning.

This one is more secure in the ground but does not have anything incised on the back.

IMG_1737.JPG

With a flash.

IMG_1738.JPG

Without

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1743.JPG

The back

IMG_1744.JPG

I also went searching for another stone and found this one with a T on it. As of yet I have no idea who the T stands for.

IMG_1745.JPG

We were surprised to find this today.

IMG_1751.JPG

We then looked for other stones near the Parkway. I have never been in this area before.

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

The state has acquired quite a bit of land in that area recently.

IMG_1757.JPG

And our final stone of the day.

IMG_1758.JPG

Stone hunting season is awakening!

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, every time I see your photos of the property stones and the dates chiseled into them, I am astounded. A little over three hundred years that stone has sat on the forest floor undisturbed. Incredible.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
guy were those last stones next to the fend by the big field?I was missing all the stones in that area in my gps today.I found two anyway just from memory but none were these.I noticed flagging on the road and at one spot went back to the fence to look for s tone I knew would be adjacent but didn't find anything.I didn't walk the fence because on the aerial I saw that the stones actually appeared to be in the field.If these are next to the fence I'll have to go back with the stones in the gps this time.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
okay I have to go back then.don't know why they never made it into the gps.I think I put my file in of the two stones you forgot and forgot to put your file in of the four stones you plotted though I had the rest of your file in there so that doesn't make sense.
I think there is a stonergeist in my gps.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
actually I lied,all the stones were missing.i found the other two because I plotted them and basically knew where they were.one was along side the road anyway and the other was 30 ft back in the bush but the surveyors left me a present to help me out.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Update: In a post above I mention and show a stone with the letter T incised in it. I also mention that I had no idea the name of the person. Well, I believe I may know the answer. I am pretty confident the person was Ebenezer Tucker who was the founder of Tuckerton. The stone has been there quite a while since he passed away in 1845 at the age of 87.

IMG_1745.JPG

Looking through my info here I believe there are more of these stones and I may know where another one is. He owned 5241 acres.

Guy

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
from an 1848 deed for land in that area

. . .by which it run 5th South sixteen degrees and forty five minutes West seven chains and sixty four links to a stone lettered JM 1742 on the North side and WP 1700 on the South side, it being the beginning corner to the aforesaid 30 acres originally returned to John Mathis, also corner to the seventy acres of cedar swamp originally returned to William Pancoast, now belonging to Elihu Mathis and others . . .

I think we can say for sure that the dates on many of these Bass River stones are indicating the year of the original survey.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Dates on a stone can be deceptive. I spoke with Steve Lee about the Benjamin Randolph stone date of 1785 and Steve said there is no mention of that stone in any documents he has until around 1850. So most likely many of them were predated.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Dates on a stone can be deceptive. I spoke with Steve Lee about the Benjamin Randolph stone date of 1785 and Steve said there is no mention of that stone in any documents he has until around 1850. So most likely many of them were predated.

Yes, in property descriptions I have seen that stones were later placed where a tree with blazes once stood.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Just wanted to get/give a quick update. At least once a year I head to this area and hike to the stone, just to see how the area is changing over the years. I never use a GPS because it is embedded into my memory. Today I took the hike. The woods have changed a lot since my last hike maybe a year ago. I got to the area and did not find the stone. I am 99.9% sure I was in the correct spot. The mound, the stone post.....but no stone. Maybe it was overgrown but I did some poking with no luck. Does anyone here know anything?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just wanted to get/give a quick update. At least once a year I head to this area and hike to the stone, just to see how the area is changing over the years. I never use a GPS because it is embedded into my memory. Today I took the hike. The woods have changed a lot since my last hike maybe a year ago. I got to the area and did not find the stone. I am 99.9% sure I was in the correct spot. The mound, the stone post.....but no stone. Maybe it was overgrown but I did some poking with no luck. Does anyone here know anything?

Does not sound good. I will try and get there in the near future and check. Thanks for the update.