Wonka Wonka

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Did a little walk through some big woods tonight with my son and the dogs and much to our surprise, we came across a tiny spong full of wonkers. (Pine Barrens Treefrog) Around 6:30p.m. tonight
I only have a a brief video but you'll get the idea. We approached within about 50 yards and they gave us a good run. The rustling is one of the dogs near my feet.
Turn up your volume .

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Nice! Bill, in reference to our conversation about the strength of some of the frog choruses recently, what would you say about your observation? Was it as strong as you remember from the original recordings that we referenced?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Different location from the original recording, Mark. Al and I heard a nice amount (a few dozen?) of PBTFs in Belleplain SF (pics above) last week. Gloria and I monitored Friendship two weeks ago tonight, but it was dropping to the high 40s that night. Only peepers, and a decent amount of carpenters in one of the larger bogs, braved the chill. Back to Belleplain for me tonight, but I should be able to return to Wharton next weekend. It would be nice to hear the deafening carpenter work again at Friendship and the entire cast of characters once heard at a concentration of small ponds we call Legacy. We named the latter that for a reason. Magical.

Last edited:

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Thanks Bill. It's been very dry the past few weeks, and warm. I'd be willing to bet that the next time a good rain comes through, as long as the temps don't drop, that you'll be able to get a good idea if there really is less activity now than in years past.

Best of luck!

Mark

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG

Friendship had its fair share of them this weekend. We took some of the kids through the bushes to snap a few photos after sunset then we walked out onto the bog to gaze at the stars and listen to the thousands of Carpenter Frogs call.

Reactions: Teegate