Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My brother bought his book when it was first published in I believe the 70's. The book is very interesting and worth reading, but at times a little far fetched. At least that is my opinion. It would be interesting to hear other views of the book on this forum.

Tom Brown hold courses around the country now, and you can hear portions of them on the Pine Barrens radio that is offered on this website.

Guy

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
Just spent 10 minutes typing a reply. I hit the submit button but it never posted. I guess I did something wrong.......if this posts, I'll try it again.

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
Lets try this again...........I met Tom Brown back in the late 70's @ the Settlers Inn in Medford. The Pine Barrens Press sponsored a 'meet the author' lunch. This was just after his book was published. He talked about his book and answered questions, as did the other authors. Autographed copies were available. He brought two assistants who started a campfire using a bow drill. Also present were the authors of 'The Jersey Devil' and the author of a book about Black Beard and other pirates in the Pine Barrens. My favorite author was Arleen Martin Ridgeway who wrote 'Chicken Foot Soup & other recipes of the Pine Barrens'. I'm sure this book is out of print, but worth searching for. Lots of recipes with clams, venison & berries. I think her husband is Merce Ridgeway of Albert hall fame. If you are lucky to find this book, buy it. I treasue my autographed copy.
Does anyone know if the Settlers Inn is still there? I think I read that it burned down a while back. I also recall that when I was there, they were saying that it was the largest 'log' structure in the country (or was it the world?) It was 2-3 stories tall and I remember wondering how many trees it must have taken to build it. Now that Clayton's has burned down, the only other commercial 'log cabin' structure in the Pine Barrens I can think of is Mayo's. Anyone know of another? Just thinking about Clayton's makes me hungry. Anyone remember that they always served those corn fritters w/syrup with every meal? And always a dish of fresh blueberries in the spring and summer? Not many places serve food that good in the Pine Barrens today...................

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is great that you were able to meet all of those people. Also, autographed books are also excellent. I have one from the author of The History of Evesham Township. I treasure it as you do yours.

Yes the Settlers Inn burned down. That was unfortunate, it was a great building and I believe it was the largest in the world. I was in it only twice but was impressed. I visited Claytons for the first time a few years back with my wife. We took a ride to Waretown to find the Sea Pine Inn and on the way back we stopped in at Claytons. We went back to the Sea Pine for a pig roast the next week.

Tom Brown's classes were being shown on TV just the other night. He looks more civilized now than he does on his first book. He actually looks like my uncle.

I collect old items from Marlton where I grew up, and stumbled upon a postcard for sale on Ebay showing the Settlers Inn when it was a Lodge. I was going to bid on it but changed my mind. In the process I saved the picture that was on Ebay and you can view it at the link below.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/Settlers.jpg

Guy

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
What a great picture! Over the past few years, I have taken a few courses on Search & Rescue. A few years back I went to a search in Wharton @ 2am to assist looking for a lost boy scout. Got a chance to meet SAR teams from all over S. Jersey. All volunteers! I overheard a conversation in which Tom's name was brought up. They said if your child is lost, he will come out to assist...for a price. Quite a few others thought he has gone 'Hollywood'. I guess he knows his shit when it comes to survival, but after hearing some of the comments of professional volunteer 'Trackers', I must say I lost some respect for him.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is interesting to hear the info you have given me on him. I will call my brother today and we will discuss it. He and I have had many talks before on this subject. Thanks..

Guy

VTowner

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Visit site
As an aside, the Settler's Inn was not the biggest wooden structure in the world. Todaiji Temple in Nara Japan, home of the daibutsu (the "big buddha") is the world's largest wooden structure at 187 x 166 x 156 feet.

As for other log cabins, I think Anapa's Diner (formerly Ong's Hat?) on Ong's Hat Road is also a log cabin, and Dunleavy's Bar on 38 in Hainsport (maybe not so piney) is too, I believe.

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
Just to clarify.......I was under the impression that the Settlers Inn was the largest LOG building in the world. I forgot about Anapa's. When I mentioned Mayo's and Claytons, I was refering to buildings built with logs (in their natural state, if that makes sense) from the area. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that Anapa's is a pre-fab kit type of log cabin. I'm not sure, I keep trying to picture it in my mind...........and stupid me, I was just there for lunch on Tuesday!

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
Guy, did you ever talk to your brother about Tom Brown? I would like to hear what other folks think of him.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Unfortunately I did not. I completely forgot about it until now. I visited him today for his 47th birthday and had plenty of time to talk about it with him.

I will probably see him tomorrow also. He collects coins and I have one he wants. I have already written a note to remind myself to talk to him about it.

Guy