XP on a Mac

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Finally, I can run a full version of XP on my Mac so I can run a few programs that I need to use. I think I may now be able to get my GPS to connect to this computer also. Check it out Ben!

MacXP.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
onehand said:
does the emulator make it run much slower ?

you will have to change the wallpaper !

It is fast! The Mac starts up quicker, but they both do fine. I just hold down the Option key at restart or startup and two icons slide across the screen. I choose Mac or XP and I am there.

I have to get a basic virus program for the XP side and then I will feel more secure.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
onehand said:
does the emulator make it run much slower ?

Actually there is no emulation involved. It's really a Windows computer now. The new Macs have Intel CPU's (and even motherboards manufactured by Intel). All that was needed was a simple way to install Windows and some enablers to allow it to boot, plus Windows drivers for the hardware (like graphics cards, USB ports, etc). Apple has simplified this with "BootCamp" which lets you choose either Windows XP or MacOSX when you boot the machine. After startup the machine will then be either a Mac or a Windows box, depending on what you chose.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20060406.html

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
ok i get it, i have another comp i built with 3 systems on it 2 windoz, one linux and it uses linux lilo boot loader on one hard drive to select one of the 3 system i want to start up. only two operating sys are on one drive, one is on the other drive and i use a "nic lock" switch to flip/flop master/slave between to two drives, sounds sort of complicated but it just an expermental comp i play around with

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
onehand said:
i use AVG free addition for my virus protection have for two years now, no problems for my XP

Yea..my daughter told me to get that, but I have not been able to get it to connect to the internet to download it. Windows is really not as user friendly as the Mac.

Guy

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
TeeGate, how long have you been a Mac user? I have an iMac at work that I use only for researching support on Macs. It's a few months old and before the Intel days. I can't navigate it to save my life after being a Microsoft guy for so long. I can't tell you how many times I try to 'right click' :bang:

It seems such a chore to just get one to print, but I guess Macs aren't really at home in an Active Directory environment.

Not knockin' ya at all! :) As a geek, I find this fascinating and yours is the first pic that I've seen of it running! I am very interested in what Mr. Jobs has lined up... If they play their cards right and don't try to be all proprietary, I think they could go up against even the likes of Dell! :eek:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have only owned Mac's. I first bought a Performa 475 with system 7.0P, but I have used a Mac at work when it was System 6. That was when they had what was called "DA's" instead of Control Panels.

The Performa had a whopping 4MB of Ram in it, and when I upped it to 8 for $200 I thought I was in heaven. Then I bought a 6500/225MH, then a RevA iMac, then a RevD iMac, then the G4 450 Sawtooth, and now the Intel iMac. And I still have all of them, and they all still work. The RevA iMac is cranky though.

I have a two button mouse that right clicks, so you might want to invest in that. It works the same as it does on XP and to me is a must.

As for printing, I feel your pain! I have had problems with printing with OSX for years. I hate to admit it but a photo printed on a Windows computer looks so much clearer than on a Mac.

Guy

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
Wow, that's the first I've heard of printing looking better with Windows vs. Mac. I work for a clothing design company and most of what they do is design stuff in Photoshop CS2 and print it out... Well, at least the catalog people do... I'm trying to figure out why they keep requesting Macs over Windows machines. I know in the older days Macs easily had the upper edge on PC's with graphics. However, today, I can't figure out what a Mac running CS2 can do that a PC running CS2 can't do? In all seriousness, I'd love to find out! :)

When I was in high school, we had those Apple II Ce's I think they were called? Certainly easier to use than the MS-DOS boxes of old. Heck, back then it was like amazing to have a mouse and a soundcard installed in a DOS machine... hahah... My first Macintosh experience was with a 'Fat Mac'. My buddy had it... It had a small 12" black and white screen integrated into the computer with only a 3-1/2" floppy drive. We used to play this RPG called 'Shadowgate' on it for hours and hours... Somewhere, I still have the old dot-matrix printout certificate that you got when you finished the game... :rofl: