Years Ago Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What is the exact date you have for this day?

Finally found them.

Bob_.jpg

Bob2.jpg

Reactions: John and bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That oxbow and large tree both are within the bounds of "the old sawmill lands," originally a 712-acre tract dating to 1688. William Farr researched and wrote about the mill and its associated property. You can read Bill's text here:

http://www.westjerseyhistory.org/books/farrwatermills/W.shtml

The article to read is the second one in his "W" chapter, labeled as "Walker's Sawmill (Old sawmill)." History surrounds us and can be found under every step we take, but it is sometimes difficult to imagine the physical landscape of past centuries.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Have you been in that area in the past year? It has changed so much you would not even know the area. I am not sure how I would even get to that oxbow now.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The graffitti people are likely in their late 20's to early 30's now. I hope they see these pristine pictures and feel devastatingly miserable about what simple-minded idiots they were back then.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Also found these in my gallery backup - (literal) state of the art GPS from 2004, a Garmin StreetPilot 2620 with full US maps on an internal 2.5gb
IBM MicroDrive, cost me about $1000! Also bought their US Topo and installed part of it. A little smaller than a brick but just as heavy, on a cold morning you had to wait for the microDrive to warm up before it would start spinning!

streetpilot.JPG

And here's an amusing old thread to accompany this 2004 screenshot :clint:

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/gps.1004/#post-7468

And here's the same area on my Magellan Meridian Gold handheld GPS, which was later purchased by another member of the site.

magellan.JPG