Your first digital pictures of the Pines

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I'm not sure when exactly my earliest digital shots ever were. I had some no-brand digital camera in 2000-2001 that shot on internal memory only in something like QVGA resolution (320x240) - seems like very few of those files survived to present.

In 2002 I bought what I considered a "real" digital camera, a SiPix SC2300. 2.1MP was a big deal at the time, and the 64MB SmartMedia card was an expensive purchase at CompUSA - now that's a dated sentence...

Here are some photos at the Batsto fall festival with that camera. October 2002.

Fairbanks Morse.jpg

Big Cylinders.jpg

Crank Tractor.jpg

Red Riders.jpg

Propellor.jpg

Finished Face Jars.jpg

Lever.jpg

Sawmill.jpg

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
My first digital pics taken in the Pine Barrens probably goes back to the day that my older son (now 14 years old) and I took our first father-son hike. We packed backpacks, lunch and snacks and 'explored' around the Forest Resource Education Center in Jackson. Truth be told we didn't get more than 1/4 mile from the car but he was hooked on hiking and exploring with Dad after that, he still is. After that, I took him to visit Prospertown Lake, which is a place where I started fishing with my own father (deceased since I was just out of high school). Hurricane Irene had broken the dam there so the water level was eerily low. I remember fishing, swimming, canoeing and exploring there starting when I was 5 years old. It's where I caught my first bullhead, pickerel, found my first sundews (all 3 species), got covered in ticks for the first time, and met the first girl that broke my heart (seriously).

My son was probably 3 in these pics.

100_4036.JPG
100_4080.JPG

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
This was taken with a Minolta Dimage S414. I 'borrowed" it from work. 4 MB, From 2001.

View attachment 16917

Nitpicking, but it couldn't have been an S414 in 2001, maybe an S304 at 3.3MP? Or more likely this is actually from 2003 or so? Either way, you had access to something a lot better than I had.

I really wanted a Dimage 7 back then but it was far, far outside my price range.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nitpicking, but it couldn't have been an S414 in 2001, maybe an S304 at 3.3MP? Or more likely this is actually from 2003 or so? Either way, you had access to something a lot better than I had.

I really wanted a Dimage 7 back then but it was far, far outside my price range.
This is what I got when I clicked on properties. But in looking at it, no way could it have been 24 Feb. I'll check around.
1647213632907.png

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
This is what I got when I clicked on properties. But in looking at it, no way could it have been 24 Feb. I'll check around.
View attachment 16918

Ah, yeah. Date stamps in EXIF data on early digital cameras can be pretty unreliable. I think the reason is that non-volatile memory was expensive and unless your camera also had a little button cell battery to preserve the clock, every time you changed the batteries the date could get reset. This happened to a ton of my early photos and the only reason I know the approximate dates is the fact that I sorted them into folders by month when I saved them.

The camera model should be correct, though. So I'd wager your photo is from March 2003 or later (after the S414 was on the market).

Reactions: bobpbx