Boyd's Hotel

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm a huge fan of the Cook Topo Map series. Not only is it pretty accurate and easy to reconcile with modern topo maps but it shows a lot of things that most other maps don't.

Case in point, Boyd's Hotel.

Out near Whiting, near the border of Fort Dix, is where the hotel was located. Presumably it was either a stage coach stop or a tavern servicing nearby Whiting and Hanover Furnace. There are two ways to get there - one road leads in from 539 and one leads in from 70. Both roads are in very good shape and any car should be able to get down them without any difficulty.

There's not much to see. When you get to the hotel site you'll see an overgrown field, with some old wood scattered about. I'm not 100% convinced that this is the wood from the building, since the nails used to hold the boards together look relatively modern. (ie: the heads are round instead of square). There were a few old looking bricks in the ruins. There's also a large open clearing futher back in the woods that has some tree stands and signs that hunters were there.

On the other side of the road there's what could be another cellar hole and a path that leads down some private property (owned by Nick Rock of Whiting, NJ the signs said) and puts you out in a large clearing with a deer lure and a huge metal and camo tree stand.

On my way out I ran into a hunter and asked him about Boyd's Hotel. Unfortunately he had no idea what I was talking about.

Here's the pictures and a map:

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ude=view_album.php&set_albumName=album269

GPS Coordinates:

The road in from 539: N 39° 58.2519' W 74° 24.0040'
The hotel site: N 39° 58.2598' W 74° 24.7009'

I'm trying to do more research on the site. When I learn of anything I will post it here.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

Al (manumuskin) knows about the place. He posted a while back when I mentioned I was in the Colliers Mills area.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Alfonso,

The next time I am in that area, I will notify you and we can visit it. Also, about a mile away is where the Hanover 1824 stone was located and I can show you where it was if you are interested in that. It may not be for a while that I get up that way but I am never sure. There is one marker near there I am still looking for.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
Alfonso,

The next time I am in that area, I will notify you and we can visit it. Also, about a mile away is where the Hanover 1824 stone was located and I can show you where it was if you are interested in that. It may not be for a while that I get up that way but I am never sure. There is one marker near there I am still looking for.

Guy

I would be interested as well....
I'm waiting for my Boyer book, it's also out on loan to see if there is any info on it. I checked my other inn and tavern book, but nothing.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

bach2yoga said:
I'm waiting for my Boyer book, it's also out on loan to see if there is any info on it. I checked my other inn and tavern book, but nothing.

Renee

Ben,
Perhaps a trip to Ocean County historical society would be fruitful.
Lillian wrote me back:

I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this -- things have been even more insane than usual. Anyway, there's nothing in that book about Boyd's Hotel (at least, not in the index). The only mention of anyone named Boyd is in connection with Smith's Tavern in Bridgeton; there was later a store in that building run by James Boyd.

I also checked the index for Lakehurst and Whiting, but there was nothing there either. Sorry!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I got some information:

The village was named for the hotel which was owned by Samuel Boyd. In 1839 the village was known as Pinetown, after the tavern that was located there (and presumably later became the hotel) called Pine Tavern. It was also known as Pine Tavern (1811), Debby Platts (1839), Hilliards (1839), Old Pinetown (1839), Platte Place (1872) and Boyd's Tavern (1872)

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I got some information:

The village was named for the hotel which was owned by Samuel Boyd. In 1839 the village was known as Pinetown, after the tavern that was located there (and presumably later became the hotel) called Pine Tavern. It was also known as Pine Tavern (1811), Debby Platts (1839), Hilliards (1839), Old Pinetown (1839), Platte Place (1872) and Boyd's Tavern (1872)

Good! Where did you find that info?

Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ben,
I was out to Boyd"s in july.I also found it by the Cook maps.It was neat,after finding the same things you did except for the stand and feeder I followed the trail out to the ft. Dix boundary swath and popped out into the open (by the way the trail is pretty near indistinguishable from the swath once you turn around and look back) and realized I was only a couple hundred yards from my old bivouack area in boot camp and later for training before we headed out to Desert Storm.I was pine barrens vu.
I had wrote Guy about this place wanting to know if it lay close to the Lawrence line.By my plotting it looks to be right on it.I was wondering if it was coincidence or if I"m even accurate?
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes Al it is right at the line, slightly east of it by probably 200 yards. That wide road that runs North and South is the line. According to the report, tanks use that road, but on the Northern end of that road where it meets 539, there is now a sign mentioning no military vehicles.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Al,

Do you remember how the main road ends at the ruins site? It looks like it could go on but the forest is really dense and it looks like there is a cedar swamp there as well. Did you bushwhack through to the Dix boundary, or is there another easier way?

I really liked the area, but I am a little nervous going out there onto private property that someone seems to use frequently.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I certainly would not suggest that traipsing across Fort Dix is a good idea, however the site is right next to the boundary. I am SURE they have some sort of fence with razor wire to let you know where not to go.

I agree with your statement on how things have changed. We're close to a shoot first ask questions later police state.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
I certainly would not suggest that traipsing across Fort Dix is a good idea, however the site is right next to the boundary. I am SURE they have some sort of fence with razor wire to let you know where not to go.

I agree with your statement on how things have changed. We're close to a shoot first ask questions later police state.

Ben,

The Ft. Dix property where I ride next to at Colliers Mill, does not have a fence but there is a sign there telling you to stay off or face imprisonment.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The driveable road does end at the hotel site but a walkable trail that obviously used to be a road enters the cedar swamp and crosses an old built up road with bridge over creek and it gets smaller into a foot trail and then pops out onto the dix boundary swath.remember where you popped out at if you go on into dix as once you look back the trail is invisible.
the activity at dix out on the ranges is severly reduced from back when i was there.theirs no more boot camp,the national guard qualifies at the ranges and occasionally do exercises in the woods and the maim post has been turned into some type of prison.my old barracks are now surrounded by razor wire.I seriously doubt you would be shot out there though you might be stopped and runoff.just stay away from the ranges or you could get shot.A lotta nice woods out there,if the military dont need it it would be nice to see the state or the nature conservancy buy it.some nice swamps too.
Al