Boyd's Hotel

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They have given some of the land away, one section to Lebanon.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
It would be great to be able to freely roam Brindle Town and Cranberry Hal areas among others. I swam across Brindle Lake last summer to venture into the main part of Brindle Town and started to see a lot of helicopters and "pops" so I was nervous and didn't go too deep. I think they purposely obliterated all possible vestiges of the areas of interest in order to take away the desire to look at anything on the base. There was NO trace of the bldgs I saw on the early 1900's map of Brindle Town in the areas where they were supposed to be. Not even cellar holes. Same thing at Hockamick too. Quite a disappointment.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe Ben recently purchased that book. It looks interesting.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
I believe Ben recently purchased that book. It looks interesting.

Guy

HA! Do I feel like an idiot or what? I looked at the thread, and realized that is where I found out about the book!!!

Duh.....

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is something that I would do. I blame it on old age. Hmmmm.....

Guy

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
bach2yoga said:
I don't turn old til next week.
Renee

What's you defination of old?..........................be careful now. :wink:

Laughs...I'll just be 37. I won't be old until after I hit 100 though. It's all in the attitude! :)
Joe hits his half century mark on the 14th, the day we leave for Mexico. Says he is in better health and stronger now than when he was in his 20s. :bounce:

Renee

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
25 and falling apart - mentally and physically.

Nah...the fresh pine barrens air, the vigorous hiking and bushwacking...it keeps you young. :) Nothing better for clearing the mind and refreshing the spirit as time alone in the Pines, right, Ben? :p

Renee

Leewardian

Jan 2, 2021
Along the Jakes Branch
Caught a news item in the February 16th, 1923 New Jersey Courier (Toms River weekly), during prohibition, that revives this generation-old thread (text shared here as it falls before the now-1927 public domain cutoff) -

==

Troopers Bring in Two Stills

Tuesday, at noon, the two troopers stationed here [Toms River], came into town with two large copper stills. One was said to be a fifty-gallon still, and to have been stolen from an applejack stillhouse that was formerly licensed in the old days, near Wrightstown. The other was a twenty-five gallon still. They were found with two barrels of mash, near the old Debbie Platt place, out Whitings way. This find was made near what in the old days was called Boyd's Tavern, or, in common parlance, “Hell's Kitchen,” before the Civil War, a resort in the pines on the old stage road to Philadelphia.

==

It appears amid a rash of "clean up" activity by authorities going after illicit bootlegging, rumrunning and home brewing in Ocean County, which can all be read either at the Ocean County Library archive link (http://njcourier.theoceancountylibrary.org/) or next week on the Toms River Seaport Society website (http://tomsriverseaport.org) as part of my overall Late Winter 1923 news roundup.

Unrelated side note: Toms River Seaport Society & Maritime Museum this spring will, after 47 years, be renaming itself the Barnegat Bay Maritime Museum.

Erik/Leewardian

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I recall that hotel. A few of us made a half-hearted attempt to find the location. But now that I'm older and wiser, I'll try again.

1678810387643.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I recall that hotel. A few of us made a half-hearted attempt to find the location. But now that I'm older and wiser, I'll try again.

I seem to remember when we were in the area that you were at the time working for the feds and did not want to go anywhere near the feds property. It is right on the border. Remember that map you had? I think I may have that? Or did I give it back to you.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I seem to remember when we were in the area that you were at the time working for the feds and did not want to go anywhere near the feds property. It is right on the border. Remember that map you had? I think I may have that? Or did I give it back to you.
Was it a hand drawn map? I may have it somewhere. I think it's possible now, it's public property if it's east of the creek. I should go out this week when the sun shines.

1678827318162.png

Reactions: TommyP