Pine Barren Glory Days

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was talking to Woodjin, Bear, Guy, and some others about Glory Days in the pines. I’d call that 1968 to 1978. I wanted to reminisce about them here on the open board in the hopes that others would share some of the memories. Excuse me if I repeat from earlier posts. I am an old guy. Give me a break.

There were more people in the pines back then, but the times were a mixture of both good and bad. In those days, some of the things happening:

--The train wreck by Chatsworth. Cars filled with sand lying on their side. It was something to do on a warm summer evening to drive out there and walk through them and think about the crash.

--Driving through the woods in some of the old cars really fast, so you would fishtail around corners. Jeeps were scarce in those days, so your first car had to do. Some that I remember were; a 69 toyota corona, a 67 Corvair monza (boy could that thing fishtail), a Plymouth valiant with pushbutton shifter, a 70 roadrunner (383 magnum, canary yellow, Hurst pistol grip shifter). 8 track tape player, Elton John, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Yes, the Dead, Led Zep, SteppenWolf.

--During the Bass River fire in 73(?), 6 of us took a 66 Chevy Caprice through the woods from Presidential Lakes to Eastern Ocean County to see it. We got stopped by the “State Police” (the “man” back then) right at the edge of the fire. When we rolled down the window the pot smoke bowled him over. He told us to get the hell home.

--Camping and recreational drug use at the clay pits by Woodmansie. The pagan and warlock motorcycle gangs partied back there too at that time. It was very risky going by their camp. They took the 70 Yamaha enduro from me and did doughnuts for 15 minutes. I understand in the late 70's it got too crazy with people and weird happenings, and it collapsed. You can't keep that kind of activity up.

--The teenagers hung out more at the beach at night in Presidential Lakes, sometimes 50 or more. In the mid-sixties, it was common to go home at 5 pm from the beach (barefoot, a half mile through sand roads) after doing cannonballs from the beach dock all afternoon. We’d then eat, shower, and quickly put on fresh, clean clothes and go sit on the fence by the beach, making them “night moves” to the sounds of the Beach Boys, Motown tunes, the Beatles, etc.

--There were more rope swings on the Wading and Mullica rivers, and more of them were active. It was nothing to see 30 people at a time at those sandy clearings at the edge of the river. It also really seemed more people canoed back then; virtual trains of people going down the river.

--Jeeps were just becoming popular in the early 70’s. I bought my 1975, CJ5 off the showroom floor in Burlington for $5000.

--Virtually every day in the summer, we’d swim in the McDonalds Branch under route 70 by diving off the highway bridge. One day some of the big guys took a few of the boards out of the dam under the bridge and we shoot through on our bellies. This was dangerous. Don’t try it. There would be one guy at the end who had the job of grabbing your hand to keep you from getting sucked back under the water fall.

--We used to fish at the dam at the end of the lake, and it was a gathering place for many of us at night, going for the little catfish with bacon on the hook. Why? Cause we could, and we were out of the house. Air conditioning was unknown to me then.

--One of the older guys was Jay, our hero. We found one of them nasty, mean water snakes at the edge of the swamp by the beach. Dutifully impressed by its aggressiveness, we told Jay about it. Next thing I know, 15 of us kids were roaming the swamp looking for them that night, calling out to Jay to come pick him up! Jay, here’s another!

--The jukebox and pinball machine were real popular back then. What else did we have?

--We would ice skate all day when conditions were right. We used to skate from one side of the lake, across route 70, to the back side of Lebanon Lakes. We’d go way back to weave in and out of the dead cedars. Very, very cool if you have never done it.

--We camped more back them, stealth and otherwise. I remember seeing more hikers on the batona trail back then too, or maybe it just seems that way. I walked the trail from Ongs Hat to Batsto in 1974 (I think it was). Very nice.

--I don’t remember any trash or vandalism back then. Again, perhaps its just my memory.

--Those who did not pick blueberries for profit caught a ride to the shore and worked as clam diggers, using their feet to feel for them.

--Do you know where the outdoor vehicle park is in Chatsworth? That was our local unsanctioned, unmaintained, unsupervised, downright dangerous motocross track. Yeehaa! People would race that track in any piece of crap, even those little Honda 70CC’s. Remember them? 30-50 people would stay all Saturday doing that.

--Enduros were a big deal to us. We’d watch them at the mud holes.

--Many more deer drives back then.

That’s all for now. What did you do?

Let me start by saying that all my experiences in the Pines in those days centered around beer and other recreationals. These memories are not in chronological order or any other order for that matter.

I partied at the clay pits (Hidden Lakes) quite often. Day time, night time and weekend camping. The place was always crowded. I will estimate 100+ people at times.
One fond memory is the time a group of us were camping there. We had just gotten our camp set up and we starting to get down to some real partying. One of our camp neighbors thought it would be cool to throw about a gallon of gasoline on his fire. The flames shot up about twenty feet. It was pretty cool actually but very dangerous and stupid. Well it was not too long after that when we saw a couple of trucks come up to the other side of the lake and we heard a lot of commotion. The commotion continued around the lake as the trucks approached our side. We were being kicked out. We broke camp and got into a line of about thirty cars leaving the lake. It really sucked having our weekend ruined but there was a highlight. On the way out I got stuck in a mud puddle. A couple of guys from the car behind me got out and pushed. When I got traction I pulled out and I saw in my rear view that the two guys had fallen face first into the mud. I tooted my horn in appreciation and drove on.We ended up camping near Wildwood and hitting the boardwalk. Thats a whole other story.

One time a friend named Joe took us up to Bear Swamp Hill to party. He told up a plane had crashed there or something like that. Sure enough there was a section of pines going down the hill that had been sheared off. We did some crazy major partying up there that night. It was not until many years later that I learned the full story of what had happened in the crash there.

We also spent a lot of time at Calico Ridge near Harrisville. There was a tree swing there which was great fun. It was also fun landing as close to a canoer as you could (beer and recreationals).

We also would hang out at Carenza Memorial. We liked to drive from there to Friendship (didn't know it's a name back then) with our lights off. Pretty spooky but what was really spooky was the old houses at Friendship. They were always unlit so I don't know if anyone was living there at the time. The state tore them down a short time after that.

Apple Pie Hill was a favorite also. One winter we went sledding there. For the most part we went down the road from the tower. At some point my friend Bob said he was going to try a trail that went down behind the tower. He took off with us waiting for a report. Within seconds we heard BANG! He had hit a tree dead on. He was OK and after we investigated the trail we finished our night sledding down that trail, avoiding the tree of course.

Yep, had lots of great times in the Pines in those day. But I enjoy my time out there know even more and can't wait until I can get back out there.

Steve

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Tremendous stories guys! I love hearing these keep them coming please. So you were "clambaking" in the car when that cop stopped you huh Bob?
I've always thought APH would be a great place to sled or "fake" snowboard. I might try that if we ever get any snow.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
One of my best memories at the 72 clay pits was a camping/motorcycle trip we did with some friends from a 4x4 club.
I had just bought a new CR-480 motocross bike in the spring of '83, a bike my friend appropriately nicknamed "The Excorcist".
It was an animal and I actually still own it.
Four of us rode from Medford off of Gravelly Hollow Road, through Shamong, out to Quaker Bridge, Lower Forge, Apple Pie Hill and outto the Chatsworth Firehouse.
My new bride (we are now married 25 years) met us with fuel and food at the Firehouse and we continued out to 72 and out to the pits.
The 4x4 club (The Mich-Mob from Medford) was set up at the pits with beer,tents, campfires and music.
We stayed the weekend and my friend Harry took all the bikes back in his deuce and a half on Sunday afternoon.
Good times with good people and no problems with the "man".
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I partied at the clay pits (Hidden Lakes) quite often. Day time, night time and weekend camping. The place was always crowded. I will estimate 100+ people at times.Steve

Good post Steve.

The first time I camped at the clay pits I was 17. We camped at the first lake, the oval one with the steep sides. There was a motorcycle club at the far end of the lake, and we were on the edge about halfway down. About 10PM they shouted over to me and my buddy...."hey, got any drugs?" We said no, and they said they'd be over later that night anyway. So...we packed up and moved to the last lake, the one they all drive down. We moved back into the woods away from everyone to set up camp, and then walked out to the lake edge to talk to some tent campers we had seen. They were smoking a bit, and my buddy broke out his stash and was just about to roll. We hear about 5 guys coming up the trail. We turned back to look at them, and they looked too straight man, like, out of place...you dig?

Me an my buddy immediately turned our backs to them and started quickly walking away from them. The sped up a bit and asked if we had a match. Now, I ain't no fool, I could tell they were narcs, so I broke into a run (pot posession was a big deal back then). They shouted STOP!, and my feet said GO!....so we both ran into the woods at the same time.

I was about 30 feet in and well hidden. A guy walked right by me, but they found my buddy and dragged him out in the road. Next thing you know, my buddy says..."Bob, they got me, please come out"! What could I do but join him?

Happy ending, he had thrown it in the bushes and they never found it. This is why I don't like crowded campgrounds to this day.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good story, Bob. Was there a legitimate campground at those pits?

No, nothing was ever legitimate back there. To this day it gives me the creeps sometimes. It isn't natural anymore. I would have liked to see what the land was like before man screwed it up. Think about it; you have these clay lenses atop a plateau in the pines. That itself is interesting, but some of them probably held water--trapped it from seeping down down. That meant some interesting plants may have been growing there.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott, it still looks good? What is that, a Honda? Why do you still own it, is it hard letting go of the memories?

This one? http://images.google.com/imgres?img...um=10&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4GFRC_enUS205US205

It looks like a torquey bike.

That's the bike Bob.
Here is another example:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...peg&no=8&tt=504&oid=f69bcbeb90308186&ei=UTF-8

Torquey isn't the word for this bike.
A good handful of throttle would rip you into next week.
I love the bike and I keep thinking I am going to get her running again. It only needs a few carb needle seats and bowl seal.
It is in great shape, much better than those bikes in the pictures.
I rode almost every weekend from when I bought it in '83 until about '86.
Then it was my occassional woods burner as I became busier with the kids.
As my sons got older they wanted to ride it but I always held back, knowing they would be maimed.
Mike ended up buying a CR125 in his teens and now has a CR 250 and a Harley Sportster.
I had the 480 out about two years ago and it kept dying out.
I will get her running again and I will ride it again because yes Bob, it is hard letting go of the memories.
:)

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Scott,
Gosh it's been at least 14 years but You, Tommy & I went out on respective bikes, myself the 250X I still ride and swear by, for an afternoon. I remember thinking "what an insane bike, almost a 500cc 2 wheeler and hellish".
While you were accustomed to the bike, you may recall, Tommy tried it from Iron Mills bridge (White Bridge) and the results were comical.
I myself, and I am not short but could barely stride the bike and I have no weight to play with so I never even tried. I had a CR125 for a spell and they are a blast. Let no one kid you, the old ones could move, and last. At least the Hondas. They all build S**t today.

On topic,
Wonderful stories old timers, I was just less than a decade behind most of you, except for the real fossils. All your tales though bring fond memories. I was always a tot of the pines so I tagged along with Pop & Uncles and such and vividly remember similar things. The most amazing vehicles, most were none too perty. Nights in the pines (or on the beach) I remember the music of the times played on cheap radios, the way the sun shone in the trees... to this day the biggest trigger in my memory will be how a certain light falls on a certain area and the memories erupt. You guys did awesome things I wish I had gotten in but make no mistake, I and others like me were carrying on your tradition in to the... "80's"

While everybody was Wang-Chungin' I was woods ridin. The hair bands were gracing stages and I was hittin' the good green... in the big woods. Bonfires off Burnt Mill while it was "Hammertime".
Metallica rocked you into the woods and the Moody Blues toned it down with
a beer and a hit. Parked on the Fleming, Mind Fried and listening to "Darkside, Animals, Wish you were here"
Canoeing up around Goshen and actually believing it was remote. Endless evening walks with my two best friends when even then, our parents could still feel O.K. we were out so long & so late.
My continuation of My Sweetwater youth at my Uncle's by visiting every other weekend away from all my friends and living my own quiet little time capturing the "old" feel. Continuing to crab at 7 bridges and stopping along the way on 542 for a look at every little thing of interest. Countless Quad rides that netted hours of memories. Taking on Sugar sand for the first time behind the wheel in my truck and thinking.... Damn! Turning my Jeep over and righting it to continue. The Greenbank... 'nough said about any bar. Sitting on a rail trestle I knew nothing of or it's history, smoking a ciggybutt, and my mind wandering. At least I don't smoke anymore. I better stop.
I've gone on again. Sorry for the 80's / 90's Hi-Jack.
You guys have good tales, thanks for sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I want to learn how to ride.

Start out with a mild four stroke like this Honda:
http://powersports.honda.com/motorc...lName=CRF230L&ModelYear=2008&ModelId=CRF230L8

It's light enough to toss around and it's street legal so you can cruise the pines without worrying about the "Man". I always had to look over my shoulder with the CR.
If you have never rode before, me, Bob, Jeff and others would be more than happy to give you a "crash course".
You can't get into too much trouble with a small four stroke and they are easy to maintain.

Here is the latest chapter of my 2-wheeled mid-life crisis:
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/RednekF350/?action=view&current=leftreduced.jpg
Got it two weeks before Christmas.
Believe it or not my wife pushed for me to get it.
Its a 96 cu.in. (1540 cc) '08 Harley Deluxe 6 speed.
Do it while you are still suckin' air.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Damn, I had a good laugh over that one. I know its hard for you to visualize, but in my mind I saw you sliding backwards (in the air), from Sunday to Monday with your mouth wide open and your eyes bugged out! :dance:

You look like a natural on that new bike. Where is your leather?

Tell you the truth, I am afraid to ride on the road. I don't trust people in cars, especially around these retirement communities.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nights in the pines (or on the beach) I remember the music of the times played on cheap radios, the way the sun shone in the trees... to this day the biggest trigger in my memory will be how a certain light falls on a certain area and the memories erupt. While everybody was Wang-Chungin' I was woods ridin. The hair bands were gracing stages and I was hittin' the good green... in the big woods. Bonfires off Burnt Mill while it was "Hammertime". Metallica rocked you into the woods and the Moody Blues toned it down with a beer and a hit. Parked on the Fleming, Mind Fried and listening to "Darkside, Animals, Wish you were here" Canoeing up around Goshen and actually believing it was remote. Endless evening walks with my two best friends when even then, our parents could still feel O.K. we were out so long & so late.
My continuation of My Sweetwater youth at my Uncle's by visiting every other weekend away from all my friends and living my own quiet little time capturing the "old" feel. Continuing to crab at 7 bridges and stopping along the way on 542 for a look at every little thing of interest. Countless Quad rides that netted hours of memories. Taking on Sugar sand for the first time behind the wheel in my truck and thinking.... Damn! Turning my Jeep over and righting it to continue. The Greenbank... 'nough said about any bar. Sitting on a rail trestle I knew nothing of or it's history, smoking a ciggybutt, and my mind wandering. At least I don't smoke anymore. I better stop.
g.

Good post George. All memories welcome in this post, any year.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Great stories guy's!
:)

I had an '83' Honda Cr 480.
I can attest first hand that are one torquey SOB.
My first ride on it I was waiting for a car to pass to cross a road, once the road was clear I revved it up and dumped the clutch. The same way I always did it with my Yz 125. Well let me tell you this 480 was no 125.
After dumping the clutch the bike never moved forward, it just shot skyward throwing me off the back and flipping the bike over backwards.
As I laid there on the ground all I could do was laugh and think WOW what a rush!:D