Tuckahoe WMA

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
From what can be seen in the aerial view, the house may be a church retreat.

- Boyd, have you read that the GeoEye-2 will be operational in 2013. It won't be a rival to LIDAR but, the image resolution of the sensor is suppose to be incredible.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Looks like there are picnic tables (?) so you may be right Gibby. No haven't read about GeoEye-2, sounds nice. I only keep up with data that is currently available for download.

Quite a lot of new LIDAR came online recently so there is now full coverage of pretty much everything South of the AC Expressway. Was hoping they would also have filled in the gaps further North, have been waiting for coverage of the Forked River Mountain area, but it still isn't available. Actually there are links to download 2011 imagery of the Brookville Quad, but it only returns a small file full of garbage. Maybe they are in the process of uploading it now?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I took another look and noticed the building is a gun club, not a retreat. If you zoom out you can see the stations for shooting clays and what also appears to be a lighted archery range.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
actually on second look I think it is.I hadn't noticed the truck on one of the views.usually if you spin all four directions and there is no vehicle a good chance it is unoccupied because all four views are taken at different times.If it's occupied and they own the land the state will probably not be getting it any time soon.That would be a nice setup to have that much land and a gate.It would keep the Witnesses out:)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
OK, now this rings a bell. That property is owned by the same person who owns the huge 3,000 acre Estell Manor Game preserve on the other side of Rt 50. Looks like the name is now Atlantic County Game Preserve. http://www.atlanticcountygamepreserve.org/

The shaded area is the preserve.

preserve.jpg

preservetax.png

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes i ride by that preserve every so often.Looks like an eight ft high fence.Wonder if the deer in there are all inbred.Would be albino's and calicos if so.Used to do summer training at fort seneca in NY and it was a nuke facility.Very heavily fenced and patrolled.The deer inside the fence were all albino's and calicos.
would love to check those foundations out.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
would love to check those foundations out.

Manu, why don't you stop to say hello and ask who ever you see there if you can take a look at the foundations. The worst they could say is "no".

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
well I could park at the gate and walk back to the house but then wouldn't I already be tresspassing?I could leave a note on the gate also with contact information.Or I could wait till summer,park at the graveyard in AC park and wade/Stephens creek and check out the ruins without setting foot on the road or maybe just to cross it.My GPS misfunctioned! I swear it! Wondered why it made me cross that creek?You have any food?I've been out here for days!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
As I was processing LIDAR data for upload yesterday, I found something very interesting. Take a look here: http://boydsmaps.com/#lidar,39.606734,-74.730313,15

This is the site of the Amotol munitions plant, and you can see a very similar pattern showing remnants of the rail beds where they moved the shells to storage buildings. Zoom in another click and they are even more clear: http://boydsmaps.com/#lidar,39.612718,-74.729422,16

While I have spent considerable time studying Belco, I know next to nothing about Amotol other than what others have posted here - not even sure if it's Amatol or Amotol :) . I didn't realize the site was so large, it extends far beyond the old raceway. It even extends to the south side of Moss Mill Rd and you can see a spur that connected the plant to the AC rail line here: http://boydsmaps.com/#lidar,39.598071,-74.745837,16

Not sure how much of this is public offhand, although I have data showing the boundaries of the WMA that I can overlay. But that should probably be the subject of another thread.

Anyway, the LIDAR imagery has revealed a lot that I wasn't aware of before.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
This section here looks very much like the magazines at Tuckahoe.

http://boydsmaps.com/#lidar,39.607131,-74.701345,16

LIDAR is,hands down, the greatest tool I have been using lately. The ability to "see" through the tree canopy is amazing. It has helped me locate a group of cellar holes and a bit of hidden industry that I would have had to spend hours hiking through the brush to find.

Reactions: Trailwalker

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Wow, I didn't even notice those - you are right, at first I thought you had posted another link to Belco. Amatol was really huge.

Glad you are enjoying the new site Gibby. LIDAR is indeed a remarkable tool that reveals all kinds of things I never knew existed. But then again, I do worry a bit that this will bring more people into sensitive areas. I wouldn't want to enable the a-holes out there plunder or vandalize ruins like these.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Not sure what you're asking for Al. If you just click the links in Gibby's and my posts, they will take you right to the site. That is the only place you can find this imagery, I have processed it using my own proprietary techniques.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I see you haven't done over my way but this is still great,has all the core barrens.was just going to see if the baileytown cellar holes show up.I know some cellars over your way I'm going to check.