Changes IN NJ State Park Regs

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I dunno, it won't bother me if the out of state people go somewhere else during the summer and I won't miss the Hummers driving around the pines....

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I dunno, it won't bother me if the out of state people go somewhere else during the summer and I won't miss the Hummers driving around the pines....
True, and I have a senior park pass. It's the mindset that can write a document like that.:confused:

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
(a) A person shall not engage in the following recreational activities on State Park Service lands
and waters without specific approval of the Assistant Director of the State Park Service, or the
Regional Superintendent or their designee:
1. – 5. (No change.)
6. Rappelling;
7. – 8. (No change.)
9. Rocketry; [or]
10. Archeological, geological, botanical, zoological, or paleontological expeditions;
11. Paragliding;
12. Parasailing; or
13. Helicopter operations.
(b) and (c) (No change.)
7:2-2.25 Bicycles, roller skates, and skateboards
(a) through (e) (No change.)
(f) A person shall not practice any tricks or [fancy] stunt riding on a State Park Service roadway.
(g) through (l) (No change.)

So your going to need a letter from daddy to look at plants (#10)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
And there is still time to make your feelings known.

From the 7/16 proposed amendments document;

Submit comments by (60 days after publication) electronically at
http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/comments

The Department of Environmental Protection (Department) encourages electronic
submittal of comments. In the alternative, comments may be submitted on paper to:
Alice A. Previte, Esq.
Attention: DEP Docket Number 01-12-06
Office of Legal Affairs
Department of Environmental Protection
401 East State Street, 4th Floor
Mail Code 401-04L
P.O. Box 402
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0402

After a quick read, to me the amendments are just common sense and long overdue.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Lets discuss this.

There is a possibility that we are missing something here. Look at the photo below where I took a screenshot of the rules. It appears to me that "10." was always there and only the bold text items are new. The P in Rappelling may not have been there because of a spelling error so it was added in. Anyone agree or disagree?

change.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In any event, if "10." is new, they will be hearing from me. They need to be more specific so that they don't interfere with a residents right to explore the property we all paid for. There are far too many other things that are going on out there that they need to worry about. They know of many of them and don't seem to care.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The most of the revisions seem to be a refinement of the wording and the change in fees. The only read two new rules 7.2-17-8 and 19-9. The two clarify applicable resident fees and exemptions from fees. The changes don't seem terrible at all. I don't see any negative impact. We get to keep doing the same things that we always have.:)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
In any event, if "10." is new, they will be hearing from me. They need to be more specific so that they don't interfere with a residents right to explore the property we all paid for.

I think it hinges on the definition of "expedition". Hopefully all it means is that you need permission to bring an organized group of people for the purpose of disturbing or removing things.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
In any event, if "10." is new, they will be hearing from me. They need to be more specific so that they don't interfere with a residents right to explore the property we all paid for. There are far too many other things that are going on out there that they need to worry about. They know of many of them and don't seem to care.

Guy

You are correct. The additions are in bold face, as is the corrected spelling, but the rule already exists - 7.2-2.22 Restricted Recreation Activities. It is also worded as "a person" and again as "an individual and groups". PBXs are outlaws!;)

I read the entire list and I have or will break many of the rules. Most are there to keep the tourists under control. Some are just silly.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/rules/njac7_2.pdf

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
(a) A person shall not engage in the following recreational activities on State Park Service lands and waters without specific approval of the Assistant Director of the State Park Service, or the
Regional Superintendent or their designee:

9. Rocketry

What? I can't shoot any more rockets off in the pine barrens? What's next? Are they going to ban me from transporting my rockets on a boat trailer on the parkway? :D

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
What? I can't shoot any more rockets off in the pine barrens? What's next? Are they going to ban me from transporting my rockets on a boat trailer on the parkway? :D

There are/were a lot of rocket enthusiasts who were launching from Coyle Field.

The whole "group outing" thing is nothing new. I had a DEP employee tell me that I needed a $1M insurance rider to have a "group outing" from this site in the Pines.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was in a state forest in Maryland a few years ago, and there were signs saying you needed a permit to drive a car on the dirt road. I don't doubt that it could happen here, especially with the State so hungry for income.

But I don't think we're there yet, and I'm guessing that you will be fine if a little common sense is applied. They can't even enforce the big rules (that carry big fines) about blatant destruction of park property. How likely is it that they're gonna bust you for going on a "nature expedition"?